1 TB HDD Buying Advice Required

gameranand

Living to Play
Yes Green Edition is slower. You don't even need to look the reviews, just see the specs. Green runs at 5400RPM and Blue runs at 7200RPM, now decide yourself, which is faster.:)

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
I am having a similar question.

I find WD Green with 64mb cache compare to blue 32mb in 1TB segment.

Now the question is why are so many people referring blue in stead of green ?

I need to buy a 1 TB hence would like to know why not to buy WD Green. Is it slower in performance compare to blue ??

Any review or such links would be appreciable !!

Many forums do not recommend WD Green siting performance issues.Second thing is warranty. Seagate gives only 2 years (Some online sites like ITDepot mentions only 1 year).WD warranty is as follows:
Internal Desktop Hard Drives Overview or for more clarity refer below:

WD Support / Warranty Services / End User / Worldwide Warranty Policy and Limitations

All this was going through mind when i was searching for my 1 tb. Finally i decided to go for WD black as many recommend it as well as it comes with 5 year warranty.The price also got reduced in FK.

Naxal

Little Kid
Yes Green Edition is slower. You don't even need to look the reviews, just see the specs. Green runs at 5400RPM and Blue runs at 7200RPM, now decide yourself, which is faster.:)

Websites lists the RPM is variable in Green rather not fixed, and highest possible RPM with WD Green is 7200 RPM and 5400 is the lowest mark so, i dont think Green is fixed at 5400 RPM.

Technology in discussion is called IntelliPower by WD

Correct me if I am wrong !!

gameranand

Living to Play
Well not sure about that, have to do a bit a reading for that but still many people had issues with this edition and stated that its not reliable so most suggest Blue Edition as its better performing than Green and more reliable and don't cost you a kidney. :p

Naxal

Little Kid
Well not sure about that, have to do a bit a reading for that but still many people had issues with this edition and stated that its not reliable so most suggest Blue Edition as its better performing than Green and more reliable and don't cost you a kidney. :p

I have not used any WD Blue drive my self. So I cant compare it with Green but couple of months ago went with a WD Green based system, ( *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...ia-student-80k-no-gaming.html?highlight=naxal ), there I purchased a WD Green.

Now I dont use the system much but what ever little time I spend in that system, I didn't notice any thing slow, again i have not used any blue device yet so cant compare hence was asking as on paper both are same expect the cache size, which is more in WD Green (64mb) compare to Blue (32mb)

So any review or such pointing to the slower one among these two ??

gameranand

Living to Play
Well I have used both and can tell that WD Blue is faster than Green one. As for review, will search a bit and give you a link. :)

Cilus

laborare est orare
But Anand, Green is not 5400 rpm, it does have 7200 rpm variant too. The speed is variable to make some power savings. The 64 MB 7200 rpm version of Green is faster than the 32 MB 7200 RPM version of Seagate 1 TB HDD. I do have both and know it. Don't post in other threads that Green is 5400 rpm version only. In Blue and specifically BLACK model, there are other optimization techniques apart from just RPM Value.

Naxal

Little Kid
The 64 MB 7200 rpm version of Green is faster than the 32 MB 7200 RPM version of Seagate 1 TB HDD.

WD website has no such information about FIX RPM for any of the green drive rather it lists every model with IntelliPower technology in case of RPM.

Can you please point to any specific model of WD Green which is said to be having 7200 mentioned as RPM ?

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
WD Caviar blue review:

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB Review (WD10EALX) | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews

gameranand

Living to Play
But Anand, Green is not 5400 rpm, it does have 7200 rpm variant too. The speed is variable to make some power savings. The 64 MB 7200 rpm version of Green is faster than the 32 MB 7200 RPM version of Seagate 1 TB HDD. I do have both and know it. Don't post in other threads that Green is 5400 rpm version only. In Blue and specifically BLACK model, there are other optimization techniques apart from just RPM Value.

Sorry didn't knew about the newer variant of Green Edition. I knew that it runs on 5400RPM only. Thanks for the update. :)

Naxal

Little Kid
Sorry didn't knew about the newer variant of Green Edition. I knew that it runs on 5400RPM only. Thanks for the update. :)

The source above, Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB Review (WD10EALX) | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews says green is limited to 5200 RPM.

Confusing :pullhair:

Naxal

Little Kid
Well that might be old, if Cilus says Green comes in 7200 RPM then it does its that simple. :)

No. I think you are right.

@Clius

It seems Greens are 5400 only.

WD Green drives are stuck with 5400 RPM and there is NO higher RPM Green product available as of now.

Source

1. WD Green Power drives comparisons vs. traditional 7,200 RPM drives
2. Model No. Explanation for WD products -> *wdc.com/wdproducts/library/other/2579-001028.pdf

Please refer to the PDF for details,

WD Product identification..

*i46.tinypic.com/15pn0u8.jpg

Models of WD Green desktop

*i48.tinypic.com/1zfolyv.jpg

See, the value 5 is R for all WD Green product meaning 64mb buffer for 5400 RPM only.

*i49.tinypic.com/pq2qu.jpg

This is what i can digg up from WD website.

So the as per WD, fastest 1TB model would be the,

WD Blue WD10EZEX

and Flipkart is not having it, any other trusted source having it online ??

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
No. I think you are right.

@Clius

It seems Greens are 5400 only.

WD Green drives are stuck with 5400 RPM and there is NO higher RPM Green product available as of now.

Source

1. WD Green Power drives comparisons vs. traditional 7,200 RPM drives
2. Model No. Explanation for WD products -> *wdc.com/wdproducts/library/other/2579-001028.pdf

Please refer to the PDF for details,

WD Product identification..

*i46.tinypic.com/15pn0u8.jpg

Models of WD Green desktop

*i48.tinypic.com/1zfolyv.jpg

See, the value 5 is R for all WD Green product meaning 64mb buffer for 5400 RPM only.

*i49.tinypic.com/pq2qu.jpg

This is what i can digg up from WD website.

So the as per WD, fastest 1TB model would be the,

WD Blue WD10EZEX

and Flipkart is not having it, any other trusted source having it online ??

Refer my post 10 for a WD blue with lesser cache.But not sure about the reliability of site.

Cilus

laborare est orare
I did a little bit digging and found out that my information is partially incorrect. Western Digital Green HDD, rated at 7200 rpm are having maximum speed up to 7200 rpm and theoritically the can run between 5400 RPM to 7200 RPM as per the requirements and for this uses a technology called IntelliPower. However, it is noticed they hardly run at 7200 RPM and most of the cases the speed is limited to 6400 RPM. But the current drives compensate that by using higher Cache size.

The 7200 RPM (up to) Green with 64 MB cache offers almost the same level of performance of a normal Seagate 7200 rpm HDD with 32 MB Cache at a lesser price point. I am sure because I do have both of 'em and talking from my experience. So they are good for storage drive and I'll suggest that if you're having an extra 7200 rpm HDD, use that for OS and use this one for storage.

Naxal

Little Kid
Refer my post 10 for a WD blue with lesser cache.But not sure about the reliability of site.

There are 32mb based blues are available widely.

I was looking for a 64mb cache based blue.

The WD Black is priced at Rs. 6k compare to 4/4.5k max type pricing of Blue and green

Honestly speaking, 5 year warranty for me is welcome but at the price of 1.5k extra is not quite acceptable.

If the drive dies after a couple of years, main problem is not getting it replaced but facing the massive data lose.

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized

The WD Black is priced at Rs. 6k compare to 4/4.5k max type pricing of Blue and green

Honestly speaking, 5 year warranty for me is welcome but at the price of 1.5k extra is not quite acceptable.

If the drive dies after a couple of years, main problem is not getting it replaced but facing the massive data lose.

Agreed.But here in kerala it's difficult to get WD any version locally.Dealers push only seagate.Also, i was unable to find a wd blue online from any popular site.The only option left was WD Black which had more warranty and performance. Ofcourse, on extra price.Good luck on search for WD blue.

gameranand

Living to Play

Well performance comes at price so.....

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
I have received my new 1 tb HDD
*www.flipkart.com/wd-1-tb-desktop-i...Z4YB&ref=5fac7319-13b6-46d5-aa5c-06ab663a817c

This thread may be closed. Thanks for all the help.

Top Bottom