Intel Ivy Bridge Discussion

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Here is another one:

Anandtech ivybridge review

Quick sync is blazing fast. Even bests nvidia's Nvenc which is a fixed function logic present in gtx 680.

dfcols71

In the zone
so for overclockers better to go for sandybridge especially i7 2600k non overclockers can
buy ivy bridge or wait 2 months to see if 22nm chips become matured in heat dispersion
is the inference.Intel must be nuts to call their flagship cpu-i7 3770k,deeply disappointed in its overclocking
capabilities especially for air cooling

Last edited:

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Like I said: 2600K+ Z77 is the way to go. And quick before its too late!

Not much space between die and IHS for heat dissipation. Wait for future IVBs.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@ico, how they recorded 100+ temp? that easily crosses the processor safety limit :|

*images.anandtech.com/doci/5763/Stock%20Speed,%20Vary%20Voltage.png 80+ on stock. looks like Pentium4 days are back. And 55 @ 0.9V :facepalm:

Intel deliberately holding off the mid & lowend Ivys to fix this heat problem. Highend Ivy Bridge will mostly use aftermarket coolers. Moreover they tested these under specially cooled rooms. Here in India where 40 is considered normal for summer days, Ivy Bridge will run real hot. Ivy Bridge CHULHA Edition :p

And quick before its too late!

most online shops (not to mention local ones) happily offer you a Clarkdale based processor if you ask for. So you think SB will disappear that fast?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am worried about Ivy Bridge laptops as well. We all know how much laptop OEMs compromise on cooling.

Thing is, Ivy Bridge's die size is small - so less area for heat conduction compared to a "sweet spot". Sandy Bridge had bigger area and around the sweet spot, so ran cooler because heat conduction was fine. Intel should have added two more cores to IVB. Bigger die size and should have ran cooler.

Check this out btw:

*i.imgur.com/xz2Zm.png

@ico, how they recorded 100+ temp? that easily crosses the processor safety limit :|
Ivy Bridge's Tjmax is 105.

77 Watt TDP will increase the potential for OC by hiving much more headroom for OCing.
A mix of both - power consumption and temperature.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
with the release of IB cpu will Intel stop the production of SB cpus to push future buyers towards IB cpus ??

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
SB's Core i3s didn't overheat even if they had smaller die area. reason being they were clocked low and can't be overclocked.
ya, you're right. Though i3-2100 does run a bit on the hotter side compared to i5-2500k at stock.

btw, do you see we haven't seen a dual core Ivy Bridge i3. :p Quad Core only at the moment for PCs (Edit: even laptops too). Because dual core IVB i3 will be way too small. Aur bhi garam hoga.

Temperature will be decided by the power consumption and power hence heat "flux" through the area. But then to increase the area, you will add more cores (transistors) - power consumption will also increase somewhat. All in all, you need to find the "sweet spot".

dfcols71

In the zone
intel seem to be taking the route of amd ,
what the point of this launch,for integrated graphics
lano will beat the hellout of ivy any day
for power consumption both sandy and ivy are almost equal at idle
only at load ivy is 25-30 watts less than sandy

Minion

Conversation Architect
Ivy Bridge was never projected to be as impactful as its predecessor, though. The company’s “tick-tock” cadence defines alternating steps forward in processor architecture and manufacturing technology. When Intel pulls off a successful new design based on mature lithography, the improvements tend to be big, bold, and beautiful. Nehalem and Sandy Bridge, both “tocks,” left us satisfied and smiling. A process shrink typically introduces other benefits, such as smaller dies and power savings. Benchmark results, however, typically don't change as drastically.
See this
Intel Core i7-3770K Review: A Small Step Up For Ivy Bridge : Ivy Bridge: Was It Worth The Wait?

Not a large gain in performance though.

dfcols71

In the zone
my question is woundnt an overclocked sandybridge 2600k provide similar if not better benchmarks than ivy 3770k except for power consumption and integrated graphics
all ican think is big gain for intel in ivy chips cheaper to make for intel

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
my question is woundnt an overclocked sandybridge 2600k provide similar if not better benchmarks than ivy 3770k except for power consumption and integrated graphics
all ican think is big gain for intel in ivy chips cheaper to make for intel
yup. It will obviously.

This is a TICK. Not a TOCK. :)

Google about Intel's Tick-Tock strategy. Tick = Die Shrink. Tock = New Architecture.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
most online shops (not to mention local ones) happily offer you a Clarkdale based processor if you ask for. So you think SB will disappear that fast?
Maybe dissapear, maybe not available, maybe bump up the price.

Yep! But choose Z77 mobo wisely b'cause some entry level mobo's VRM were pretty much basic for 2600k if anyone want to OC.

Why would anyone choose a board below tier 2 level?

pcforumguy

Starting Off !!!
Why would anyone choose a board below tier 2 level?

For Price !

i.e.
  • Asus P8Z77-M = 4 +1 Phase Power Design = 9.5 To 10k
  • Asus P8Z77-V LX = 4 + 1 + 1 Phase Power Design = 10 To 11.5k

I know there are alternatives in every price range and that's why I say, choose Z77 mobo wisely b'cause some entry level mobo's VRM were pretty much basic for 2600k if anyone want to OC.

Top Bottom