Intel Ivy Bridge Discussion

[TPU] Ivy Bridge 1155-Compatible, Panther Point Detailed

Some time in the first half of 2012, Intel will release its next generation of desktop processors for the LGA1155 socket, based on the new Ivy Bridge silicon. Ivy Bridge is a 22 nanometer die-shrink of Sandy Bridge, with a few features added/improved.

To begin with, Ivy Bridge processors are seamlessly compatible with existing LGA1155 platforms, and "Cougar Point" P67, H67, H61, Z68, chipsets, although it will come with its own 7-series chipset.

There's the usual PCI-Express 2.0 x16 hub that can drive up to two discrete graphics cards with electrical x8 connections.

Cougar Point, Panther Point chipsets are seamlessly compatible with each other. Ivy Bridge processors can run on existing 6-series chipsets, Sandy Bridge should be able to run on Panther Point 7-series chipsets as well.
The incentive in Panther Point chipset, however, is that it will feature a newer FDI interface that will support up to three displays running simultaneously; and that it will feature an integrated USB 3.0 controller.

*www.techpowerup.com/img/11-04-12/67a.jpg

*www.techpowerup.com/img/11-04-12/67b.jpg

*www.techpowerup.com/img/11-04-12/67c.jpg

Source

Good news this!! :mrgreen:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Excellent info gaurav. I think intel is following amd's route in terms of compatibility. This will be great news for all existing sandybridge owners as they can upgrade to ivy bridge as well.

Even panther point chipset is backward compatible with current sandybridge processors.

And the ability to display 3 monitors through igp is really icing on the cake.

Bulldozer watch out!!!!!:nanananana:

^^ Excellent info gaurav. I think intel is following amd's route in terms of compatibility. This will be great news for all existing sandybridge owners as they can upgrade to ivy bridge as well.

Even panther point chipset is backward compatible with current sandybridge processors.

And the ability to display 3 monitors through igp is really icing on the cake.

Bulldozer watch out!!!!!:nanananana:

Seems like a few ex-AMD guys moved into Intel, and hence this great news. :mrgreen:
This is LGA 775 all over again I guess. Total compatibility.

However, Bulldozer won't have immediate competition since Ivy Bridge comes out in Q1 2012.
AMD will have a chance to recuperate maybe.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ First bulldozer has to beat sandybridge -E in order to get to ivy. Sandybridge-E processors for socket 2011 are going to be scorchers.

Look how entry level to lower midrange sandybridge cpu's are performing now. Just imagine how sandybridge-E will be.

Its not an easy fight with intel for amd. Its going to be very very interesting.

^^ First bulldozer has to beat sandybridge -E in order to get to ivy. Sandybridge-E processors for socket 2011 are going to be scorchers.

Look how entry level to lower midrange sandybridge cpu's are performing now. Just imagine how sandybridge-E will be.

Its not an easy fight with intel for amd. Its going to be very very interesting.

Yes there will be competition and Intel is going to win it hands down...but the thing won't be immediate...LGA 2011 will be out on Q4 2011 AFAIK...Bulldozer comes in June...

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Ok but don't you think llano will arrive in june? Bulldozer i guess has an october release date. Has it changed?

Bulldozer will definitely beat the current sandybridge lineup but by how much margin has to be seen.

But lets not count out bulldozer. It looks to be a promising architecture. I guess this time around, they won't let intel get carried away with everything.

Last edited:
[TechReport] Intel: Ivy Bridge graphics to feature DX11, triple-display support

Ivy Bridge is going to be an exciting product. Not only does it continue with the improvements AVX processor SIMD vector capabilities D3D11 and DX Compute Shader, 30 percent more EUs (execution units) and supports up to 3 displays and HDMI 1.4a, and an overall bandwidth boost from PCI 3.

Translated Source

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
That is a strong move by intel. This means bulldozer will be good. I can't wait to see them go at each other.

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
one question..why is intel making sandybridge e proccys instead of releasing ivy bridge directly..?? Intel can release ivy bridge which will be compatible with 1155 socket..users will be confused in buying new system...what to buy..sandybridge + 1155 + ivy bridge later or 2011 + sandybridge e..

one question..why is intel making sandybridge e proccys instead of releasing ivy bridge directly..?? Intel can release ivy bridge which will be compatible with 1155 socket..users will be confused in buying new system...what to buy..sandybridge + 1155 + ivy bridge later or 2011 + sandybridge e..

Intel wants to be richer by every release. That's the only explanation I can give. :oops:

Regarding what to buy, those who already have Sandy Bridge processors, they should wait for Ivy Bridge.
Those who haven't changed to LGA 1155 (they are still in LGA 1156, 1366 or 775), they can go for LGA 2011 Sandy Bridge-E.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^yup buddy:smile:. Intel hasn't been this good for a long time in terms of upgradability. But i wonder why others are not posting in this thread. Perhaps there are lot more amd fanboys in tdf.

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
Intel confirms PCI Express 3.0 and USB 3.0 including DirectX 11 On-die GPU

One of the most important changes introduced with Ivy Bridge will be the support for DirectX 11 and Intel has also raised the number of EUs found inside the on-die GPU to 16 in its most powerful CPUs, up from the 12 EUs found inside mobile Sandy Bridge processors and select desktop SKUs.

In addition, the new integrated graphics unit can now drive up to three independent displays.

The processor cores have also received some minor tweaks as their AVX performance has been slightly increased and Intel has updated the integrated PCI Express controller to the 3.0 standard.

This should double the bandwidth available to the 16 PCI Express lanes found inside the chip, from 500MB/s per lane to 1GB/s per lane.

The move will benefit multi-GPU systems as well as users who use high-performance PCI Express SSDs and other such devices that require a high data bandwidth.

The rest of the changes brought with Ivy Bridge come from the new 7-series Panther Point chipsets, which pack native USB 3.0.

Source

Top Bottom