Intel Ivy Bridge Discussion

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
Judging by all the reviews I read and the graphs posted by ico, I personally think the Intel's Ivy Bridge is a let down. There's no such thing as "upgrade" from a Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge. An i7 2600k overclocks more than the i7 3770k and still runs around 10-15 degrees cooler. Also even if the Tj.Max of Ivy Bridge is 105, it's not safe to let a core run at around 85 degree at 4.5GHz obviously. Sandy Bridge i7 2600k has Tj.Max of 98 degrees, and it ran at 71 degree average at 4.7GHz. Simple maths show that 2600k ran at 72% of it's safe limit which is quite distant and 3770k ran at 80% of it's safe limit. Performance benchmarks show a mere 1~1.6% increase in productivity apps. Then why opt for an Ivy Bridge processor? Tell us.

Intel, what have you done...

Last edited:

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
Intel, what have you done...

There are many + to what Intel is doing

First the Ivy will be bit cheaper to produce & will be priced more
Hence more profit.

The fab process gets matured and issues like not overclocking well/heating will be ironed out so the next architecture change will bring Bucket Loads of improvements.

Process matures, Higher Yield for next processors (as it will be a tock process remains same i.e 22nm), more stable more default factory overclocking for next gen.

Intel are doing it right, its in our hands to choose.

Its a WIN for intel at every step

sukesh1090

Adam young
If i am right the main purpose of ivy was to test and mature 22nm for intel's next Tock.so there is no meaning in arguing on ivy's performance and upgrading to ivy if you already have a SB.

SunE

Professional Newbie
Also if you need a new CPU right now then just go for SB. Waiting for Ivy does not seem worthwhile. Plus when Ivy launches they'll definitely be overpriced and no point buying something that's just 1-2% faster for 1-2k more ;)

sukesh1090

Adam young
overclockers-sb,non overclockers can go with ivy

:confused:
why should non-overclockers go for IB.SB is also great for non overclockers.if any one is buying new processor and if IB is priced within 0.5k price range of SB then he should go for IB because it offers lot more features and faster quick sync.

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
Its a WIN for intel at every step

That's the only WIN I see.

If i am right the main purpose of ivy was to test and mature 22nm for intel's next Tock.so there is no meaning in arguing on ivy's performance and upgrading to ivy if you already have a SB.

In my opinion, it's just that Ivy didn't perform to the extent what people wanted. So, just to cover that part off, they are "maturing the 22nm architecture".

I know i might be wrong, but correct me with a better statement next time. I don't think "maturing 22nm architecture" reason is a just for the release of a new lineup of processors :p . Let's see what other experts here have to say.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Judging by all the reviews I read and the graphs posted by ico, I personally think the Intel's Ivy Bridge is a let down. There's no such thing as "upgrade" from a Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge.

Ivy was never meant to be an upgrade for SB. Its a die shrink. Means, you'll get everything out of it expect extra performance. Still it is delivering extra performance on the graphics side. But by the time Ivy Bridge's entry level processor enter the market it''ll face a well established Trinity APU army that will perform 75% of Core i3s & will offer far better graphics performance.

Also Ivy is mainly aimed at laptops. More battery life, no need for el cheapo crappy entry level GPU, runs cool (theoretically it should but didn't laptop ones will run cool) and still cost same.

Also if you need a new CPU right now then just go for SB. Waiting for Ivy does not seem worthwhile.

yup. Intel HD2500 is going to be crap for sure. And so won't run games any better than HD2000. And HD4000 will be reserved only for 10-12k proccy. On the other hand no improvement in performance. Only +ve sign is that they have lower power requirement but if they continue to heat like the unlocked i7s, then they will be in same spot as FX.

In my opinion, it's just that Ivy didn't perform to the extent what people wanted. So, just to cover that part off, they are "maturing the 22nm architecture".

AMD Llano was faster than AMD Athlon II? :|

sukesh1090

Adam young

I know i might be wrong, but correct me with a better statement next time. I don't think "maturing 22nm architecture" reason is a just for the release of a new lineup of processors . Let's see what other experts here have to say.
the whole world knows that ivy is a tick and intel never bragged around saying you will get magical upgrade over SB.why will they try to hide something which they never told to anyone.all the reviewers and everyone knew that ivy will be only 10-15% faster than SB.it was foolishness to expect more than that within one year:wink:.can you just do me a favor and take a look at wikipedia's article about Intel's Tick-Tock.I know you are disappointed but I am telling you that ivy was never intended to make you jump on your chair with joy.:wink:

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
hmm..This seems to sum it all up now, read about Tick Tock, I realize that it's the "Tick" thing right now, the Tock will bring something to brag about :)

amjath

Human Spambot
IMO i5-3570k is good price per performance than i7-3770k

Review: Intel Core i5-3570K (22nm Ivy Bridge) - CPU - HEXUS.net

Why Ivy bridge runs hot on overclocking???? Explained

Ivy Bridge Temperatures – It’s Gettin’ Hot in Here | Overclockers

tkin

Back to school!!
Intel is pushing Ivy towards laptops and run of the mill desktop users, so they are not keen on the OC temps, so the TIM issue, they are forcing OC'ers to buy SB-E, something to do when you don't have competition, at ALL.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ totally agree with you on this.

Why Ivy bridge runs hot on overclocking???? Explained

Ivy Bridge Temperatures – It’s Gettin’ Hot in Here | Overclockers

^^ interesting read ... thanks for the nice find ;-)

amjath

Human Spambot
I dont know whether i should post other forum links here but its important find :D
Bought an Ivy Bridge today - bit-tech.net Forums

dfcols71

In the zone
breaking news intel ivy cpu s makes its debut in new egg prices damn high i5 3570k-250$,
i7 3770k 350$
Newegg.com - New 3rd Gen Intel® Core™ CPUs
Newegg.com - CPU Processors, Intel CPU, AMD Processors

Last edited:

Vishnupg45

Liverpool fanatic.
@dfcols71
can we expect the same pricing in india? And till now i cant find any listing in india.
A small blow to the ones who waited for IB IMO.

Top Bottom