Intel Ivy Bridge Discussion

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ thanks for the info ... still a 77W TDP cpu can limit the potential of OC .. so it's a nice move by Intel that they kept a suitable headroom to oc IB cpus unlike what anandtech has predicted ( see previous post for that ).

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^ thanks for the info ... still a 77W TDP cpu can limit the potential of OC .. so it's a nice move by Intel that they kept a suitable headroom to oc IB cpus unlike what anandtech has predicted ( see previous post for that ).

77 Watt TDP will increase the potential for OC by hiving much more headroom for OCing.

dfcols71

In the zone
hi guys is the ivy bridge cpu worth going i have heard rumours on some forums the overclocking chip are unstable high temp even with water cooling will wait for some
official reviews to take a call on that

amjath

Human Spambot
Here's a review on Ivy Bridge's HP Elitebook [Yes yes Ivy bridge]. What really surprised me is this

Working with Ivy Bridge was also a pleasure. As seen by the benchmarks, what we have here is a platform that runs very quickly, with low heat, and good battery life.

I already had my fingers crossed :p

HP EliteBook 8470p Review - Intel Ivy Bridge Shines

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys, how does tdp determines the overclocking capacity of a cpu?

Less TDP cpus will remain much more cooler and consume less volt and power - and less volt consumption and cool cpu temps increase OC potential.

77 Watt TDP will increase the potential for OC by hiving much more headroom for OCing.

but less TDP can also mean a cpu has a limited power consumption barrier and won't reach further compared to the higher TDP models in the same series and that's why Intel has increased the power consumption limit of 3770K and that increased it's TDP.

and look at some power saving cpu models from both Intel ( Q8 and Q9 series ) and AMD - they are not great OCable cpus compared to the non power saving models.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
according to the Intel website
Intel® H77 Express Chipset
and Asus P8H77-M PRO mobo spec :
ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS P8H77-M PRO
H77 supports OCing

but acc to the anandtech review
AnandTech - The Ivy Bridge Preview: Core i7 3770K Tested
H77 has no OC capability

But I've heard that all 77 chipset supports OCing so wait for confirmations from others.

saswat23

Human Spambot
Yep, even flipkart has mentioned that H77 boards supprot but reviews tell the opposite.
BTW, found this: Intel's desktop Ivy Bridge Core i3 processors priced by VR-Zone.com

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
if H77 supports OC or not can't say for sure without any proper review where the CPU is OCed using a H77 mobo but acc to the manufacturers H77 supports OC or may be they are just shipping with some kind of OC app

MSI Global ? Mainboard - H77MA-G43
ASRock > Products > H77 Pro4-M

dfcols71

In the zone
rigod the link you give is no launch
here the approximate time 5 pm uk time
[BBC] Intel launches Ivybridge
to get all details of ivy cpu 35 page of reviews go to this link at 5pm uk time
*www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/pc-upgrades/3352693/intel-ivy-bridge-processors-tested/#ixzz1srimK0ka

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
^^Thanks for the link mate.

Intel Core i7-3770K Review: A Small Step Up From Sandy Bridge

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Temps are high when overclocked. :p Like I had told a couple of guys over PM when they asked whether to wait for IVB.

Top Bottom