Intel Ivy Bridge Discussion

iittopper

Wise Old Owl
^^ not much just a little. will try till 4Ghz not more than that. Thats y i'm thinking so much

4 ghz is nothing for i5 2500k , its a child play thing . My friend just changed the multiplier to 40 without changing any other thing , and he got a stable 4 ghz ..(though it may not be same for you) .
But if you know basics about overclocking then pushing to 4 ghz will not be a problem..:cool:

dfcols71

In the zone
well intel too thinks overclocking is a problem
so new revisions i q3 2012
Faster unlocked Ivy Bridge possible in Q3 2012

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ not much just a little. will try till 4Ghz not more than that. Thats y i'm thinking so much

4 ghz is nothing for i5 2500k , its a child play thing . My friend just changed the multiplier to 40 without changing any other thing , and he got a stable 4 ghz ..(though it may not be same for you) .
But if you know basics about overclocking then pushing to 4 ghz will not be a problem..:cool:

actually I think with a decent cooler like Cm Hyper 212 Evo it's possible to run core i5 2500k at 4.5Ghz even with some cheap but good mobo like Biostar TZ68K+ - so amjath decide for yourself - 4.5Ghz Sb oc vs. 4Ghz IB oc - which one is better ;-)

amjath

Human Spambot
thats cool topgear. Now got to wait for the prices, its been a week no stocks yet :( may be a week more i have to wait for Indian prices

BTW thx for clearing

iittopper

Wise Old Owl
actually I think with a decent cooler like Cm Hyper 212 Evo it's possible to run core i5 2500k at 4.5Ghz even with some cheap but good mobo like Biostar TZ68K+ - so amjath decide for yourself - 4.5Ghz Sb oc vs. 4Ghz IB oc - which one is better ;-)
You have an awsome point .:-o

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Yeah IB has made it pretty clear that its not really meant for Mainstream OCers.

Take advantage for i5 2500k Price drop (Hopeful) after i5 3xxxK Launch and OC it. 4.5 GHz is almost guaranteed on every chip.

dfcols71

In the zone
intel ivy cpu available for preorder in india
[dp] Exclusive ! -Intel IVY Bridge Processors & Supporting Motherboards available now on Pre Order - systembuilder - TechEnclave

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ thanks for the nice find but they are over priced - for eg. core i5 3570k is Rs. 14.5k - that much money is enough to grab a core i5 2500k+CM Hyper 212 Evo combo and for the price of 3770K one can easily grab a core i7 2600k+CM Hyper 212 Evo combo. If Intel wants to make a market for IB they better release some non K series cpus under or around 10k and fix the heating issue of K series IB cpus.

BTW, the only interesting deal I saw there is Intel DZ77SL-50K @ 8.5k ;-)
*www.intel.nl/content/www/us/en/desktops/desktop-board-dz77sl-50k-media-brief.html - it's 6+2 Phase Power modules is decent for Ocing but Asrock has some better Z77 mobos priced @ 9.2-10.2k.

dfcols71

In the zone
hi top gear according to intell source the die bridge of ivy chip has thermal paste on it
to interface with the heat spreader plate covering the chip ,it is not soldered like the sandy chip to the heat spreader plate.So after a few years after the thermal paste wears off will the temperature become worse?ie the longelivity of the ivy chips?*media.bestofmicro.com/ivy-bridge,6-L-335901-3.jpg

dfcols71

In the zone
look in the previous page you will find the link
or here
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/96218-hardware-price-list-spec-sheet-182.html

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
hi top gear according to intell source the die bridge of ivy chip has thermal paste on it
to interface with the heat spreader plate covering the chip ,it is not soldered like the sandy chip to the heat spreader plate.So after a few years after the thermal paste wears off will the temperature become worse?ie the longelivity of the ivy chips?*media.bestofmicro.com/ivy-bridge,6-L-335901-3.jpg

Intel dual core E4000 series cpus have used the same thermal paste like thing but they are still in use and many people hacve Oced them -though they were not be able to OCed like E6000 series cpus which has HS soldered with the chip.

The thumb rule is if one can manage to keep the cpu cool then there should not be any prob other than limited Oc capabilities and even with the Thermal paste like thing the cpus will last for 8-10 years at stock speed with good cooling and most of the people will upgrade their cpu before 10 years for sure ;-)

amruth kiran

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them
hey can anyone suggest a good ivy bridge cpu within 16k?? and even a mobo within 10k?
i've shortlisted the 3770k (i7). is it worth it??

or should i take the ivy i5 series instead of i7? iam not into any editing or professional stuff. just gaming.

Top Bottom