Zonealarm sucks PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashfahan

Broken In
Hi
I have installed Zonealarm with Spyware 7.xxxx and Avast 4.8.
Problem is when I start my Broadband connection (BSNL home 900 +)
Whole pc freezes for 3-4 minuts.Then everything works fine. I can use Zonealarm inbetween those time and No other programme respond.Even my computer dont shows any drives (Only search torch).

Please recommend me some setting in zonealarm or avast.
Pc worked fine before Zonealarm.

I use utorrent to download files...Broadband is at autostart at startup.

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
Thats strange as I've been using ZoneAlarm without any problem... Maybe Avast is the Problem or curropt configuration files...

Uninstal Zone Alarm, Check ur drive for errors, Clean ur registry for errors and Install ZoneAlarm again...

For others suggeting something other than zonealarm : Guys Zone Alarm is one of the easiest (if not best) FireWall Softie out there... And IMO its better then most others.

Offtopic : Ahh 777th Post.. 7 being my lucky number...

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Try using Kaspersky Internet Security 7.. I have been using kaspersky since 2 years and i never got infected by virus/spyware

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Its quite normal. Zonealarm taking 3-4 minutes at starting of the computer is a issue that has been discussed for a long time at the ZoneAlarm forums. This is due to Zonealarm Pro's Startup Scan facility, which scans the memory and important startup files with its own version of Kaspersky Antivirus. Even if you disable the AV, the startup scan cannot be prevented.

During the freezing period, if you look at the processes running, you can see "scanningprocess.exe" which takes around 60MB memory along with vsmon.exe which is the TrueVector Service.

Also, during the startup screen of windows, the Service tries to connect to Zonealarm website to maybe check for updates, but since you and me dont have always-on internet, it causes a delay.

This problem exists only in ZAP 6.5+, so one of the possible solutions is to uninstall ZAP 7, get ZAP 6.1, install, and upgrade it to ZAP7 via the new installer.

You can get old version from *download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html

Also, if you use ZA Security Suite, its antivirus and antispyware may conflict with any other such products you may have installed and may extend the delay, so its best to use either of the two - either uninstall the other software, or disable ZASS's versions of the products.

This is a common problem with several zonealarm users, and so if you are new to ZAP you might find this a little inconvinient, but once you start using this, the positives outweigh the extra 1-2 minute startup time (in my case) and so its not a problem. I've been using ZAP since it was in version 5+, and I found the startup delay a problem in v6.5, but I dont find it cumbersome.

talkingcomet

Dragon Reborn
avast's web shield has some conflicts with zone alarms privacy control feature.. try disabling avast's web shield.. it may help!! am not sure though

OP
ashfahan

ashfahan

Broken In
Well I found the solution...
I uninstalled the Zonealarm and Avast and Installed NOD32 and COMODO firewall.
Now every thing is fine...
THANKS.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Installed NOD32 and COMODO firewall.
The same combination is used by me. And I think, this is the best combination in the whole market if excluding Kaspersky Internet Security whose Firewall sucks.....

Also install Spybot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom