You are prohibited from changing your address by TRAI?

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Apologies for the title.

I am going through an experience now. I bought a Sony Xperia ZR last month and needed a MicroSIM. As my existing SIM was older generation MiniSIM, it could not be safely cut down. I was asked to submit new set of documents to get this MicroSIM at an Idea franchisee. My older SIM was deactivated and MicroSIM activated after a gap of few days due to intervening holidays. I received 2 SMS informing me that documents have not yet reached the next 2 days and nothing afterwards. (It would take that much time for the physical copies to reach their headquarters or whereever they keep them).
After around a week people started complaining that they could not reach me. On inspection, I saw that my phone did indeed show network signal. However I could not call customer care as I was informed that my number had been barred. On contacting customer care from a second number, I was informed that as I had not submitted documents, my number was barred. When I tried to explain that I had already submitted the documents, I was just asked to approach the franchisee and that Idea themselves could not do anything! This seemed preposterous as I am an Idea customer and it was them who disconnected me without informing.

As the My Idea point lies at fair number of kilometers away from I could not reach them. I called them on phone and they told me that they were informed that there was a discrepency in the address proof submitted and the address on record. Today when I went there, I found out that there was a small difference in the way my house name has been spelled in the Election ID submitted. (I had taken the connection originally around 6 years back and Election Commission had issued new ID around 3 years back.)

Now they give me 2 options:
1. Submit the original address proof as given 6 years ago. (I cannot do this as that has been taken back and no longer in my possession)
2. Submit as new address but lose the original plan and whatever balance remaining in it plus a 72 hour deactivation period (in addition to the present loss)

I am completely flummoxed by this logic:
1. Is it not possible for a mobile phone subscriber to have a change of address once a number is granted? Even a landline will probably let you have a change of address.
2. What will happen when a municipal authority / panchayat / State government renames the city / street you live on or changes your house number as is a common practice in India.

I understand that theoretically a mobile phone number is tied to a person rather than an address compared to a land line which is rather tied to an address. The purpose of ID proof is to make sure that it is issued to the same person and the purpose of address proof is to catch him if he does any hanky panky. So what is the point of insisting on an older address while he may have moved on elsewhere and is actually willing to provide the newer updated address to help the authorities harass him there?

-------------

Apparently, according to unofficial communication with the franchisee staff this is being done at the behest of TRAI.

------------

How do I go about fixing this mess?

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
That is not an option because none else have the quality of network and the kind of package that I have right now. So I neither want to change the provider nor package :(

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
try threatening them that you'll take them into Consumer Forums and all your friends and relatives will port out from their network.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
post in their official facebook page about this. I solved a network issue problem of Aircel like that, initially they wouldn't even consider there is a problem after posting the problem in facebook next day technicians came with equipments to test signal problem in the area.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Post the entire post on FB. Email the same to Idea customer care email ID. Catch them on Twitter.
Social media is a boon in such cases.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Does anybody know how does this email customer care work? I mean are there any real people who reply to these emails or just some automated phrase scanning engines that send out standard boiler plate replies?
If you compare the question asked with the answer received you will notice that they will mostly be completely disconnected from a human perspective :(

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Does anybody know how does this email customer care work? I mean are there any real people who reply to these emails or just some automated phrase scanning engines that send out standard boiler plate replies?
If you compare the question asked with the answer received you will notice that they will mostly be completely disconnected from a human perspective :(

So you can't distinguish between an automated reply, and a reply send by a human? Whoa!

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
The replies to the emails I send to Customer Care are always signed with a human name albeit a different one each time for the same thread.
The reply language seems almost human but not correlated with the question asked.
Either they are stupid humans or have to bots.

Eg. The first email sent them was stating that I had submitted the required documents and asking them why is my number still barred. The reply was that my SIM was active on their network. See this is factually correct because I still see signal bars on my phone and no SIM invalid message. But I am barred from making any outgoing calls or receiving any incoming calls, not even to customer care. Even a cursory glance at my account status would have made it clear for them I guess.

Then on repeating the same message regarding the fact that I had already submitted documents and requesting escalation of the matter, the reply is that my number is unreachable ;) :) I mean, REALLY?! The geniuses are trying to call a barred number and saying that I could not be contacted. That too when they have another alternative number on which I have received no calls.

--------------

When I ask you "What day is today?" and if you reply "Indian Prime Minister is Manamohan Singh", I shall definitely suspect that either you are not human or you are under the influence of serious drugs ;) ;) ;)

Top Bottom