XPS M1330 price dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikhildhanda

Right off the assembly line
Hey guys i want to buy XPS M1330 and with a high config which is turning out to be quite costly and the price listed on the site is

Rs. 69,000 /- incl of taxes nd delivery

My question is that ; the taxes are raising the cost by almost 10-12 K..

Is ther some way of getting this waived and are bargains possible with dell through phone??...

Also if anyone has bought an XPS and have managed a discount..can you plz tell me the number to contact and the sales guy who sold it to you?(may be he/she will giv enuff discnts )

If any1 can Provide me some discounts plz do respond ???...

Thanks..

Nikhil

gopz

In the zone
Please list the config here, we can suggest you based on that, whether to add or remove components. I think Dell phone reps do give discounts if you bargain on the phone.

Generally they would have targets every week, so try to call them on a wednesday and tell them that you would book it by thursday if he gives a good deal.

XPS m1330 is a great laptop, so go ahead with your purchase and Good Luck!

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Hi, first of all dont order in hurry. Se if u can find any dell employee whos ur, ur bro's or even neighbour's friend and ask them is they can arrange a config on EPP[employee Purchase Program].
If u manage to buy it on EPP, then u can get discounts upto 22~33% depending upon the experience of the employee.

I got my M1530 with the help of my bro's friend in Dell.

OP
N

nikhildhanda

@dOm1naTOr thanks for da info...i'll try nd search 4 sum1 hopefully will eventually land up wid some contact ova der...anyway i will definitely need sumthn lyk a 15 % discount or sumthn lyk tax rebate and say 3 thousand off...hey btw any dell employee on this forum??(hehe)

@gopz..thanks for da reply...da config is as follows :

Processor

Intel® Centrino® Processor Technology - Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T8300 or T9300

Operating System

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium

Memory

3GB Dual-channel 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Webcam
Integrated 2.0 mega pixel web cam

Remote & Ear Buds
DellTM Travel Remote Control & Noise Isolation Ear Buds

Hard Drive

200GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
HDD Callout
StrikeZoneTM Shock Absorber

Display/Monitor

13.3" UltraSharpTM Widescreen WXGA (1280x800) TFT Display with
TrueLifeTM

I/O Ports
VGA, RJ45, 2 Headphone, Microphone, 2 mini-card slots, IEEE 1394a, consumer IR, HDMI. RJ-11 is supported via External USB Dongle. ExpressCard 54mm slot
Battery
56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Network Card
Integrated 10/100 Fast Ethernet
Modem

External 56K Fax Modem
Controller Card
Intel® 3945 802.11a/g Mini-card
Carrying Case
N/A
Bluetooth
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth

Graphic Card
Nvidia 8400 GS

Sound Card
Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition

CD-ROM/DVD-ROM/Disk drive
Slot Load 8X max DVD+/-RW Drive6 with DVD+R double layer write capability

Card Reader
8-in-1 Memory card reader

Speakers
Integrated speakers
Biometric Fingerprint Reader
Yes
Software
Microsoft® Works 9.0 - OEM version
Dell Recommends Microsoft® Office Home & Student 2007 - OEM version
Warranty
1-year XPS Premier Service with 1-year CompleteCover
Dell Recommends Dell Care Plus
Media Direct
Dell MediaDirectTM featuring Instant Office
Anti-Virus
McAfee® Security CenterTM 30 days Introductory Offer
Dell Recommends McAfee® SecurityCenterTM 15-months

@gopz can u plz temme the best-est price for this one...the online price on dell indian site is Rs 69 K...dats about 10k higher dan my budget..can increase ma budget by 2k max....plz reply

thanks

A few questions before buying the XPS m1330:

1. Is 13.3 inches enough for you ?
2. Do you really need ultra portability in favour of normal portability ?
3. Do you think it is worth paying a good amount more for the 1330 instead of buying the larger 1550 ?

because there is a cheaper, larger and a bit heavier alternative available in the XPS m1550. You might save quite a lot of cash by going for it instead.

Along with that, you can bargain in two places: (i) you can knock the taxes off (ii) you can upgrade to a better warranty plan. This does not require the EPP.

And go for 2GB instead of 3GB, because the price difference is not really worth it, and you won't gain much of a performance. Besides, to have a dual channel config and 3gb of ram is not exactly possible. And why does a laptop need 3GB of ram when its rather modest in configuration ?

Prefer the T9300 over the T8300 because for 3k extra, you get a much better processor with double the L2 cache. IMO, its worth it.

While ordering over phone, avoid all software exept the OS(where vista premium is the best choice). They (ms works, etc) are not really worth the hell lot you pay for the worthless sh!t they are.

I don't think you need the soundblaster software. Its a waste.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
But opting for T9300 for a lappy seems just waste of money. It beats the older platform T7700 hands down and usually people opt for T9300 for extreme gaming which is not possible with an 8400GS on M1330. I wud say max of T8100 is more than enuf for lappys.
Instead put that money on a 9 cell battery, or 4G ram[to make sure u dun run outaa memory in future apps].
And also 1280*800 wont be pretty, get the 1440*900 screen. Also u can opt for Wireless N network card which is compatible with N network workin at 5Ghz with speeds comparable to cable lan!!!
With all these addons ull land up with a lapp which weighs over 2.25KG. U can get much better config at relatively lower cost by opting M1530 which falls under 3KG. It cud house an 8600GT.

gopz

In the zone
And go for 2GB instead of 3GB, because the price difference is not really worth it, and you won't gain much of a performance. Besides, to have a dual channel config and 3gb of ram is not exactly possible. And why does a laptop need 3GB of ram when its rather modest in configuration ?

The XPS m1330 comes with 3GB minimum. I think this Dual Channel RAM funda is only about a 10% difference for Intel laptops.

Prefer the T9300 over the T8300 because for 3k extra, you get a much better processor with double the L2 cache. IMO, its worth it.

The real world difference between the two processors is only 4% to 5%. Its definitely not worth the price difference (Rs.6000 when you upgrade from T8100 and Rs.4000 when you upgrade from T8300), especially since he has a budget.

Go in for the T8100, it will give you a cooler laptop and also draw less battery compared to T9300. Unless you do some extensive video encoding or editing (even then its just a matter of just a few seconds in terms of performance)

You can save a few bucks without losing any practical performance, and having a cooler laptop with better battery life.

I don't think you need the soundblaster software. Its a waste.

I agree.

If you are in a dilemma about which size to go for - 13.3" or 15.4"

- 15.4" is quite bulky and heavy compared to 13.3" (its not normal portability for sure) I would say 14.1" is normal portability

- Unless you choose a better screen (higher than 1280 x 800) and nVIDIA 8600M GT along with the M1530, it doesnt make sense to go for a bigger laptop (because the 13.3" also comes with 1280 x 800 screen)

- If you do the above, then the price is sure going to exceed your budget, so there is no point in saying that m1530 is cheaper than m1330. Unless you get the laptop through EPP

- A 9 cell battery on m1330 would give you 5 to 6 hours backup, wheras a 9 cell added on a m1530 would make it really really heavy and bulky.

- If I wouldn't do intensive gaming or video encoding, I would opt for the m1330.

Last edited:
OP
N

nikhildhanda

@MetalheadGautham

Yup need da 13.3"...jus believe dat notebook is meant for portability..aftr a while i thnk 15" one jst becomes lyk a desktop lyin on sum table..lol..plus i think desktop itself wud b a btr alternate vs 15" lappy..jst thnk so

What duz gud amount mean yaar..my budget is of say MAX Rs 60K(da rest if any i cant ask my dad to pay)..

2gb option is not available...

Avoiding software saves bucks??(i thot they were free??!!)...if it duz i would want only OS nd Media Direct cds...

I do think 9300 option is better it jus luks nd sounds sooo much betta bt dunnno if it will be feasible 4 me to afford it .. :(

for sound doesn the sound blastr really sound nice??..or can i jus download the software and install it??..dont they install a compatible H/W for da sound blaster??...

@dOm1naTOr

i agree with da 4gb ram..cant afford to get 9cell right now(will buy latr wen i hav sum cash..i think it will be cheaper 4m outside)...

NO 1440 x 900 screen availabl on xps m1330 in india..actually not even in US website

@gopz

ok get ur point about 8100 being betta at say battery and will be a bit cooler...
bt i do thnk a lil bit of extra power from a lappy is reqd for it to hav a future..

same here i wud defntly go for xps m1330..just doubt if i can pay for it lolllz...

@everyone..

plz can you post the preferable config for the XPS M1330(dont think i'll go 4 sumthn els)....And PLZ state the cost of the same WITHOUT
Discounts and WITH DISCOUNTS...

Discounts include a possible TAX waiver and some other discounts which you think any1 with a decent bargaining skills can get..And plz list the price without EPP consideration(im still hunting for a dell employee...if u know 1 plz do lemme kno) :)

p.s --Pray for me,it shud come within my budget (of course with sum rebate) .. :D

p.p.s ----- OK UPDATE found one bhaiya whose from dell...hopefully will be able to get it with EPP..dats again hoping..hehe...bt ya now the budget of 60K seems amazin..dont u thnk.. :D hehehahhaha.(still hopin lol)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom