XPERIA S vs Galaxy S2

arkadeep

Broken In
I have been using a "dumb"phone for the past 5 years and I am finally ready to make the jump to a smartphone.
I have listed down the above phones as suitable candidates based on their price (both costing about 25k on flipkart).
So now, I need your help on deciding which way I should go.

At the moment, I am leaning towards the Galaxy S2 for the following reasons:
1. Guaranteed Android Jelly bean update.
2. Much better than the Scorpion S3 chipset in the form of the exynos 4210.
3. Higher rated battery.
4. Better media player.
5. Better Samsung support.
6. Seemingly no lag in the UI navigation.
7. Much better availability of custom ROMs. XDA seems to really love this handset.

But I am in the doldrums because of the highly apparent positives of the XPERIA S. Most visible one being the fact that it has an HD display.
Also, the Sony handset was launched earlier this year while the Samsung has become quite old.
After reading up on the XPERIA, I have come to know that the S3 used is a highly modified and optimised one. So, I have to ask, irrespective of the fact that the Scorpion was the weakest processor in 2011, is it worth jumping the gun by trusting Sony with their support and optimisation and software upgrades?

Essentially, the 720P screen on the XPERIA is a real drawing factor. Along with the presence of a better camera and a physical camera button.

So, now I would like to ask for your help! What should I do guys? Go for the old and trusted GS2 or should I take a leap of faith and hope for buttery smooth performance on the XPERIA S?

Thanks a lot! :)

OP
A

arkadeep

Broken In
I don't particularly like sense.
Also, I have to purchase the phone from a brick and mortar store. One S has very poor availability plus the India version uses the same poor performing Scorpion S3.
So coupled with a poor processor and power hungry theme, the phone is expected to the very laggy.

Aerrow

Journeyman
I have been using a "dumb"phone for the past 5 years and I am finally ready to make the jump to a smartphone.
I have listed down the above phones as suitable candidates based on their price (both costing about 25k on flipkart).

3. Higher rated battery.
4. Better media player.
7. Much better availability of custom ROMs. XDA seems to really love this handset.

But I am in the doldrums because of the highly apparent positives of the XPERIA S. Most visible one being the fact that it has an HD display.
Also, the Sony handset was launched earlier this year while the Samsung has become quite old.
After reading up on the XPERIA, I have come to know that the S3 used is a highly modified and optimised one. So, I have to ask, irrespective of the fact that the Scorpion was the weakest processor in 2011, is it worth jumping the gun by trusting Sony with their support and optimisation and software upgrades?

Essentially, the 720P screen on the XPERIA is a real drawing factor. Along with the presence of a better camera and a physical camera button.

So, now I would like to ask for your help! What should I do guys? Go for the old and trusted GS2 or should I take a leap of faith and hope for buttery smooth performance on the XPERIA S?

Screen lags and updates will not be an issue if u buy xs. Trust me cm10 works great on xs and gets rid of all the problems including jellybean.

I'm commenting because I used to own a galaxy s2 and then my roommate got an xs. The hd does all the difference mate. Trust me. Everything looks way better. Since I'm a Sammy user I jumped to s3 just for the hd screen.

Personally, the only problem I see is lesser game compatibility and battery backup. Cm10 closes the battery backup issue to a big extent.

Now it's uptown u to decide between both..

Btw, my personal opinion, xs beats the sh*t outta both s2 and s3 when it comes to music.

OP
A

arkadeep

Broken In
Could you then comment on how much the battery improves?

Also, how much battery life does your friend's XS give?

perplexed

Journeyman
Even I was confused whether to buy an X-S or S2 earlier.. now since the prices are same.. X-S wins hands down.. !!!

Also, X-S is Sony's NXT series' virtual flagship.. expect it to get JB update for sure.. !!

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
+1 for X-S from me too. Much better screen, and you say about lag ? I'd say S2 lags more than X-S as far as I've used. Plus, S2 heats like hell. If I put S2 on charging, then no way I can talk simultaneously. Only issue I find in X-S is its ultra low speaker volume which is too crap for a 25k phone.

Aerrow

Journeyman
Could you then comment on how much the battery improves?

Also, how much battery life does your friend's XS give?

Well, actual figure would depend on usage. Under heavy usage, around 1 to 1 1/2 hours..

My friend's xs gave around 3 hours+ on heavy usage with everything turned on which is about morning to evening on normal usage. Cm improved the standby by a good margin though.

Windows

Journeyman
I don't particularly like sense.
Also, I have to purchase the phone from a brick and mortar store. One S has very poor availability plus the India version uses the same poor performing Scorpion S3.
So coupled with a poor processor and power hungry theme, the phone is expected to the very laggy.

well Sense is removable.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl

3. Higher rated battery.
4. Better media player.

read this before you make a purcahse Sony's flash tool restores official ROMs to your unlocked Xperia

and as far as GS2 is concerned theres no point going in for a older phone... older generation

the best thing to do is to wait another 2 months for the new xperia device lineup and then pick one. Xperia s price will fall about 3~4k in 2-3 months.

*www.xperiablog.net/2012/10/06/sony-c650x-odin-model-number-uncovered-2013-flagship/

singh_dd93

Journeyman
Xperia S has been assured to get JB update by Sony and it has a very good comuinty support by FXP and Doonlord(XDA). I own 2 Xperias though 2011 series ones(Mini and Mini pro).
I can tell you the product quality is much better than samsung. my dad owns a S2 and cyanogen stopped the support for exynos
read here CyanogenMod developer slams Exynos phones for lack of proper support - GSMArena Blog

OP
A

arkadeep

Broken In
But all this time I have been reading that the XPERIA's battery is really poor.

Also, the S3 scorpion was definitely the weakest chip of 2011.

So what is the point of getting such a good screen if the phone can't really power it along?

Unfortunately I can't wait. I have to buy by the 20th of December.

OP
A

arkadeep

Broken In
Okay. I shall give you guys some more details to help you guide me.

My number one purpose would be using IM clients.
Followed by using news aggregators.
Followed by occasional picture taking.
Followed by games.
Followed by music and movies.

I won't have a 3G connection. Though I do plan on keeping 2G on all the time.

debarshi

Otaku
Go for an Xperia S, you wont regret it (Jellybean upgrade schedule has been announced for NXT series, Q1 2013 expected)............... And if you are so worried about the battery, get a Nokia DC-16 power bank with it (not a solution but a suggestion), and you sir, are good to go....
Seriously, SII has become old......... Not outdated but old....... X S got the looks, the screen, and trust me, you wont need more than that processing power...........
My bro owns one, and it has flawlessly taken in everything I threw at it..........

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Okay. I shall give you guys some more details to help you guide me.

My number one purpose would be using IM clients.
Followed by using news aggregators.
Followed by occasional picture taking.
Followed by games.
Followed by music and movies.

I won't have a 3G connection. Though I do plan on keeping 2G on all the time.

3G will help you save battery life for downloads, and with custom rom's you can make the battery last 2 days with normal usage an additional feature of xperia phones is the xperia keyboard, its a really useful feature and you can optimize your keyboard according to your typing habits...

I am running a custom rom with a locked bootlader and the battery lasts about 6 hours while watching movies.

for best battery life consider getting wi-fi.

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
get xperia s man..great community support n hd screen..sony phones are quality products..my frnd owns gs2 n the resolution is not good enough coz of less ppi..u will surely feel that ppi ka difference..n as debarshi said get Nokia DC-16 or Sony CP-ELS power bank..:) m gonna take it soon for xperia p..

gump

Broken In
get the S2 man, sony's battery is pathetic, my friend has a xperia s and the battery is horrible he says... S2 is way better.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
S2's AMOLED is a real battery saver. As AMOLED can display black better so just turning off pixel does the work compared to Xperia S which uses a conventional LCD display. Moreover S2 uses pentile matrix based display so despite having smaller battery, battery backup is more in S2 but as S2 is getting quite old better avoid it.

perplexed

Journeyman
get the S2 man, sony's battery is pathetic, my friend has a xperia s and the battery is horrible he says... S2 is way better.

yeah battery backup of X-s is worse compared to S2 but it is not pathetic atleast.. not by a long shot

Aerrow

Journeyman

I would say never look at just the battery, ur priorities though are all internet based and if u would keep sync and internet on, xperia s won't last u a day. With cm10 there r improvements, but 2g would be a problem. Than again s2 will barely last u a day. This is considering medium usage. But the screen wins on xs man.. plus the looks... don't look for more comments.. you have everything u need to know about both phones in the above comments... prioritize and decide...

Top Bottom