Xperia L/SP thread

Chetan1991

Youngling
Which one to choose? Xperia SP or Nexus 4?

XSP:
Bigger battery, microSD support, OTG, getting it cheaper by 2k, but weaker processor and only 1GB RAM.

Nexus 4:
More powerful processor, 2 GB RAM, but no expandable storage, faulty OTG, and shorter standby time.

Have you found SP's processor and RAM to be enough? I will be running skype, gmail, and a few more IM like apps all the time, plus some tabs open in the browser, and maybe occasional gaming.

In short how much difference in performance do Nexus 4's processor and RAM make? Only this is stopping me from buying SP over N4.

Last edited:

Chetan1991

Youngling
I don't care for quick updates. There's always CM and XDA. I'm more concerned with performance difference due to the different CPU and RAM. Repeating myself, how much difference in performance do Nexus 4's processor and RAM make?

sushovan

In the zone
Doesn't make much difference. I have seen N4 to struggle with MC4 or even real racing 3 at times. also The build quality of N4 is worse than Samsung phones, and its battery is horrible. For me, there is no use of gimmicky updates if a smartphone lacks in basic aspects like Build Quality, memory, battery backup, optimization etc. even Moto G is hundred times better choice than N4.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Which one to choose? Xperia SP or Nexus 4?

XSP:
Bigger battery, microSD support, OTG, getting it cheaper by 2k, but weaker processor and only 1GB RAM.

Nexus 4:
More powerful processor, 2 GB RAM, but no expandable storage, faulty OTG, and shorter standby time.

Have you found SP's processor and RAM to be enough? I will be running skype, gmail, and a few more IM like apps all the time, plus some tabs open in the browser, and maybe occasional gaming.

In short how much difference in performance do Nexus 4's processor and RAM make? Only this is stopping me from buying SP over N4.

Stock Nexus 4 has issues... I would certainly consider it average quality hardware. The screen on Nexus 4 is definitely better than Xperia SP. But thermal throttling is a big issue. Camera is average. Battery life is average. Nothing a custom kernel cannot fix...

Nexus phones are easier to root, and have excellent developer support. So that makes things easier.

I would be reluctant to buy a Nexus 4 though. My sister has one (still stock android), and it is not good.

sushovan

In the zone
It should do all these without lag, provided that you install a debloated rom/custom kernel or remove Sony crap from rom which wouldn't be an issue since you are not concerned with warranty. Also the browser should be a proper one, not something like Chrome which is more intensive than Six gun, Asphalt 8 :p

Chetan1991

Youngling
Has any SP user used the PS2 wireless controller with it?
It's not made by Sony but endorsed by and branded as Sony. And no its not just a cheap replica. Available pretty cheap though.

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey guys !
Anyone experiencing lags over Xperia SP ? I have very much lags on my mobile.. :( SO I wanted to know whether my phone is faulty or every phone is the same.. ???

Chetan1991

Youngling
So I received my Xperia SP yesterday, and it has Android 4.1.2 installed. I have a few queries to its long-time owners:

I want to backup the ROM, in case I am fooling around and brick it. Is there a way to backup the ROM (or the TA partition, right?) without rooting the phone? I want to try the vanilla experience for a while. If not, what's the safe way to root without messing up the TA partition and losing the unique keys?

Also should I upgrade the ROM? Many people have complained about the phone getting slow after upgrading. Also, I read, in newer versions it becomes impossible to root without unlocking the bootloader, which will result in loss of DRM keys, removing some features.

I am unable to transfer files to my XSP via USB. The progress bar just freezes. It shows itself as a media device and I haven't found any option to set is as mass storage. Please note I haven't put any microSD card in it yet. What to do?

Oh and some app recommendations would be nice too.

Is that McAfee app necessary?

Anyone tried encryption? Does it affect perform a big factor?

I'm thinking of buying a transparent TPU case for the phone. Anyone knows where I can get one online?

Any other advice to a new owner is welcome too. :)

Last edited:

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
So I received my Xperia SP yesterday, and it has Android 4.1.2 installed. I have a few queries to its long-time owners:

I want to backup the ROM, in case I am fooling around and brick it. Is there a way to backup the ROM (or the TA partition, right?) without rooting the phone? I want to try the vanilla experience for a while. If not, what's the safe way to root without messing up the TA partition and losing the unique keys?

Also should I upgrade the ROM? Many people have complained about the phone getting slow after upgrading. Also, I read, in newer versions it becomes impossible to root without unlocking the bootloader, which will result in loss of DRM keys, removing some features.

I am unable to transfer files to my XSP via USB. The progress bar just freezes. It shows itself as a media device and I haven't found any option to set is as mass storage. Please note I haven't put any microSD card in it yet. What to do?

I'm thinking of buying a transparent TPU case for the phone. Anyone knows where I can get one online?

You could easily back up your current rom by using rom manager or by using clock work mod.

Easiest way to one click root any android device is by using apps such as towelroot or kingoroot. Please note that it might not be the safest method, but you have less chances of bricking your device. Also note that, this only roots your device. So if you want to install custom firmware or kernels, you need to unlock you bootloader first.

Oh, I forgot to tell you that I also need transparent case for my Xperia sp☺

Chetan1991

Youngling
You could easily back up your current rom by using rom manager or by using clock work mod.

Easiest way to one click root any android device is by using apps such as towelroot or kingoroot. Please note that it might not be the safest method, but you have less chances of bricking your device. Also note that, this only roots your device. So if you want to install custom firmware or kernels, you need to unlock you bootloader first.

Oh, I forgot to tell you that I also need transparent case for my Xperia sp☺
I can't unlock the bootloader without backing up first, or else I'll lose phone's unique drm keys.

- - - Updated - - -

Bump....

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Hi L Users, Which (Custom) ROM are you using? I took a look at the available ones in XDA, but none seems to be stable except AOKP. How's CM11 by varun.chitre?

I was thinking of about installing this ROM. Can anyone please let me know whether it's stable and have any bugs? Because I don't see the list of bugs in the ROM Development page.

Also, when I visit Unrestrict.li | FreeXperia Project | Unrestricting your links! and change the Version to CM11, Release FXP 303 (selected by default) and there are multiple files on the dropdown dogo hayabusa, honami etc.

So I'm not able to get which one should I download? What's the different between those files?

OP
theserpent

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Yes, it is a crappy phone. But Cyanogenmod along with ThunderZap 4.6 kernel, and SGS Touchscreen Booster app can make a little difference...

After flashing PA and going back to CM ruined my phone compeltly :| Contacts got messed up some contacts Somehow merged with others.
I will check out that kernel in about 2 weeks or so

Sony abanonded our xperia L after releasing buggy update's.|
If i get a chance i will sell this phone and get a moto g/xiaomi Mi3 or maybe a Xolo hive

- - - Updated - - -

Hi L Users, Which (Custom) ROM are you using? I took a look at the available ones in XDA, but none seems to be stable except AOKP. How's CM11 by varun.chitre?

I was thinking of about installing this ROM. Can anyone please let me know whether it's stable and have any bugs? Because I don't see the list of bugs in the ROM Development page.

Also, when I visit Unrestrict.li | FreeXperia Project | Unrestricting your links! and change the Version to CM11, Release FXP 303 (selected by default) and there are multiple files on the dropdown dogo hayabusa, honami etc.

So I'm not able to get which one should I download? What's the different between those files?
that site is dead theres a new site now.
FXP ones are okay...but as you use you will find its buggy as hell I hate THIS PHONE NOW :mad:, I loved my X.L even more when I flashed CM11 but now with new builts phone has become a bit laggy,Power button is @##$%#^ up

- - - Updated - - -

*fxpblog.co/

- - - Updated - - -

WOW! Official omni rom :) lets hope this is better than CM ?

ashs1

Padawan
so, now that my xperia L is officially out of warranty, i've been thinking of rooting the phone & installing a 4.4 ROM.
Can anyone plz plz help me through this process step by step ??I have never rooted a phone yet.. ALL I request is that pls have a great deal of patience. :)
I tried PM'ing some members in xda but didn't get favourable replies :/

Firstly :
Which is the most stable rom as of now ?( i am guessing CM11).
My requirements : should be buttery-smooth, pleasing to the eye & good camera performance.( The camera performance in the stock ROM was not very good ).

Secondly,
What are the tools/softwares that i should download for this process ?
atm, i know these are required :
1. Android SDK tools : Android SDK | Android Developers
2. Custom ROM files
3. Original ROM Files ( in case i need to revert back ?)
4. any other ????

I ,once again, request members to be pls ignore my n00bish attitude.

Thanks.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Hey guys !
Anyone experiencing lags over Xperia SP ? I have very much lags on my mobile.. :( SO I wanted to know whether my phone is faulty or every phone is the same.. ???

Use a different luncher Xperia launchers are laggy.You can try google luncher available in XDA.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
It has been so frustrating owning the Xperia L :\
Development is so slow and thanks to sony, we get no proper updates either. The updates that we do get ruin the camera quality further and CM11 and almost all other custom ROMs have some feature which doesn't work.
Will wait for development options before owning another phone.

Top Bottom