XP or Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Vista is good for apperance,security etc.... There s no compatibility with mp3 and office... Try to use it
sorry for being rude but wtf are u saying .... vista compatibility issues ... man do u know how to use a computer

uv got a problem with mp3 and office on vista *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/24.gif

Kenshin

meowww meoww
Are u gonna use WinAVR or sumthin.....all elex softwares run fine on vista...go for it..din had ne prob till now....I use the followin
MAtlab
Winavr
codevisionavr
avrdude
Proteus
eagle and protel
winspice
Xilinx vhdl verilog + modelsim

no probs..

I think none of the softwares you told will have any problem on Vista. Vista will be best for you since it requires less maintainence, for ex, XP is plagued with all the flash drive viruses, while they dont work in Vista. Almost 90% computers that i have saw with XP are infected with these, and you as being a student will share a lotta things using USB drives, you'll get mad soon with XP. Go for Vista, even if you fell that you'll need another GB of RAM, its worth it. Just make sure you do a full system update after installation, remove all the crapware that comes preinstalled by most manufacturers, and defrag you harddrive once a month (for that you can leave the system for a while, when screen blackout kicks in, Vista automatically optimizes the filesystem :) ). That'll keep your system in shape.

and yes, Vista has absolutely no compatibility issues with MS Office as well as playing MP3s. Many compatibility issues arise due to its security features which can be overcome using the compatibility settings or running the app as an administrator. Some updates had also been released that fix compatibility issues with certain apps, thats why i said to fully update your system after installing Vista and all other MS apps. That'll make sure great speed for you.

One more thing, when you boot Vista for the first time, you may notice a performance hit, but as you begin working with it, it'll improve on speed due to its SuperFetch technology. On my lappy, Vista runs at least 2x faster after 5 days of usage.

Last edited:

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
May be you are "ill" informed.

Vista does not have MP3 issues but it does have the infamous DRM issue.
And Office should run well until you run Auto Update, which "may" ruin your Office installation [just one particular update, not sure which one].

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ i dont know which 1 ur refering to but the only office update issue is the sp3 1 which dis-allows some certain file types to be recognised by office however that too has a registry tweak

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
chill guys...he must hav done a typo while mentioning abt compatibility with mp3 n office.....it happens...vista is a no probs os now....go for it....follow the time

Enjoy~!

Status
Not open for further replies.