XP or Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

INS-ANI

In the zone
Hi guys, I have a query.
I have just booked an inspiron 1420.
As i have no experience with vista, i request you to share urs.
I expect XP to run faster than vista on 1 GB RAM. Beside With vista i may face problem with compatibility, especially mp3 and MS office!
I am an electronics and telecommuncation engineering student.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Hi guys, I have a query.
I have just booked an inspiron 1420.
As i have no experience with vista, i request you to share urs.
I expect XP to run faster than vista on 1 GB RAM. Beside With vista i may face problem with compatibility, especially mp3 and MS office!
I am an electronics and telecommuncation engineering student.

go for vista its a great OS and on the dell 1420 it is pretty good and no such thing as compatibility problem withoffice and mp3 - where did u hear that from :?

PS: are u using any elex softwares?

anispace

dattebayo
why would u face compatibility problems with mp3.. even win95 can play mp3s? MS Office also should run perfectly. some programs may face probs but u can mostly use the compatibility mode to run them.

regarding elex softwares.. i think MATLAB(thats what most EXTC guys use atleast in MU) runs fine.. though havnt tried running it.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
INS-ANI said:

Strange question ... as already said by many, you should not face any problem under playing MP3 or using MS Office back till version Office XP :)

and Vista comes bundle with 1420 i guess... no need to spend another Rs. 6k for XP Pro :)

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
go for vista its a great OS and on the dell 1420 it is pretty good and no such thing as compatibility problem withoffice and mp3 - where did u hear that from :?

PS: are u using any elex softwares?

Yes i wil be using some elex s/w. but mostly it will be MATLAB, Mutisim, etc.
U got any experience with that?

why would u face compatibility problems with mp3.. even win95 can play mp3s? MS Office also should run perfectly. some programs may face probs but u can mostly use the compatibility mode to run them.
and System speed of vista wrt XP?
thats another factor i am concerned abt, but its nt a big deal if there's a small diffrence.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
vista on 1gb isfine ... its better than xp in terms of looks and response

and matlab works fine on vista a fren of mine has tried it

A

anarchist

xp is better than vista, some of my friends have loaded xp on their laptops removing original vista which was bundled with their laptops, due to 3rd party software problems like nero, photoshop etc.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
due to 3rd party software problems like nero, photoshop etc.
nero 7 had a problem which was rectified by nero in nero 8 and photoshop 7 also has no issues with vista ;)

software compatibility was an issue when vista was launched but is a non-issue right now

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
Ignoring the conventional use, i will be running following applications
1)Router simulators
2)MATLAB
3)LABVIEW
4)various simulation and training S/W

How will Vista perform?
any users?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Ignoring the conventional use, i will be running following applications
1)Router simulators
2)MATLAB
3)LABVIEW
4)various simulation and training S/W

How will Vista perform?
any users?
a fren of mine has tried matlab it was fine other than that i havent tried anything else ... please confirm their compatibility with vista ;)

New

Padawan
Keep Xp for the time being...You might get Windows 7 within a year*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/36.gif*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/36.gif

hansraj

In the zone
vista is good in terms of keeping the eyecandy and few security features which apparently are not so important for we"the personel users". however the price which u have to pay in terms of speed by which i mean booting up, software compatibility(lots of software are still incompatible), shut down timing are a headache. so better go for xp. No doubt that in the history of computers n computing, XP has proved that it has been the os which has been in use for maximum time thus making it a platform for which now maximum support is available. Vista ke liye abhi WAQT lagega.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
vista is good in terms of keeping the eyecandy and few security features which apparently are not so important for we"the personel users". however the price which u have to pay in terms of speed by which i mean booting up, software compatibility(lots of software are still incompatible), shut down timing are a headache. so better go for xp. No doubt that in the history of computers n computing, XP has proved that it has been the os which has been in use for maximum time thus making it a platform for which now maximum support is available. Vista ke liye abhi WAQT lagega.
*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/24.gif

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Nero 6,7 ULTRA and 8 ULTRA,Adobe Photoshop CS3 runs fine on my Vista laptop and PC.
Vista is the best OS to have, no problem of mp3 as there is Windows Media Player 11 and of course Winamp :D

axxo

99.9% Idle
if you have anything less than dual core & 2GB ram, stick to xp otherwise vista would be the answer.
there is no compatibility issues with vista as many says..it runs almost all the apps that xp does. Therefore
old hardware - xp
new hardware - vista

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
certainly if hardware can eat that....ts vista....n even 1gb ram is enuf....though more is alwez better....a

abt compatibility....patches n modifications r being launched fr vista by microsoft n other software brands.....n yes xp would be most friendly but vista will hv better security(not vry big issue)...better layout....extra features which u can compromise on settings for speed....n ya no issue abt mp3 or office n all...compatibility issues r thr fr certain softs not all but wit soln....if brands like hp, dell, acer r all bundling vista for so long thr must b a reason....

Enjoy~!

chicha

High without substance...
i have a HP laptop with AMD turion 1.9 X2 and 1GB ram, running VISTA.

i did not like it, its slow i do not know why.
i even did not apply the aero theme.
i think for VISTA will improve a lot when SP1 comes out.

correct me if i am wrong in home addition of VISTA ctrl+alt+del at the login menu does nothing. I mean in XP pro you get to log in as "administrator".

offtopic
and one more thing i faced is in playing some movies, on VLC player, only the sound comes not the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom