xonar stx

A_ashish_A

Journeyman
Hi guys, I am trying to get the best possible sound from my pc. My main focus will be listening music. I currently have a 2.1 setup and headphones using asus xonar dg sound card. but i think xonar dg is incapable of giving best music quality. so i m planning on to buy asus xonar STX. i wanna feedback from anyone using xonar STX. will it be a good investment for basically music satisfaction?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
asus xonar stx is worth buying only if you have a Rs.20000+ speaker system.you seems to be mistaken about sound quality.the most basic factor in sound quality is speaker.if you have cheap speaker it doesn't matter even if you buy a Rs.10000 audio card but on the other hand a Rs.20000 speaker will still sound great/better than any cheap speaker even without a sound card.

OP
A_ashish_A

A_ashish_A

Journeyman
So that means I should discard my present speakers and buy new speakers for atleast 20k+?? I recently bought corsair sp2500 for about 12; reading many many positive reviews and now I m told that they cannot provide me quality sound no matter which ever sound card I use...:( now thats really frustrating.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
it seems like you value others' opinion more than yourself.it is your ears & the only thing that should matter is how speaker sound to your ears only.there are people in this world who can differentiate between a Rs.20000 speaker & Rs.50000 speaker & according to them anything less than 50000 is waste so will you spend 50000 on a speaker even if you have the money but not the ears to differentiate.i am hoping you demo the corsair sp2500 before buying by listening to 4-5 tracks in your music collection from different genres like bollywood,pop,rock,metal,classic etc.if not then sorry to say it is your fault only.if yes & you were satisfied with sound then why this obsession with sound card.leave Rs.20000+ speaker system & Rs.10000+ sound card to those who have the ears to justify this expense(& believe me they are in a minority).

OP
A_ashish_A

A_ashish_A

Journeyman
Well I bought sp2500 online because Where I live we have no pro computer or speaker market to provide me demo and I have to rely on online shops, online reviews and forum discussions to make a decision before buying anything...thats why I'm asking about stx also. only if someone using STX could tell me how well it justifies your cash ...will be very appreciated.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
speaker & monitor/tv are the two things which you should not buy unless you personally demo it.also it seems you forgot but you already asked me this & i already answered it:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/audio/161450-sound-card-worth-upgrade.html#post1725102

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
asus xonar stx is worth buying only if you have a Rs.20000+ speaker system.you seems to be mistaken about sound quality.the most basic factor in sound quality is speaker.if you have cheap speaker it doesn't matter even if you buy a Rs.10000 audio card but on the other hand a Rs.20000 speaker will still sound great/better than any cheap speaker even without a sound card.

That is totally wrong. The input you provide to the speakers is what matters. Specially considering when you have a decent speaker.

but then again i would like to add that the difference in the sound quality may be very noticeable / may not be . So you need to try out the set-up for yourself.

and getting a high-end sound card has its advantages. IF you listen to music a lot, then after some time the sound quality on any audio system decreases and then you can think of spending a good amount of money on a good pair of speakers.

And to be very frank, spending 9k on a sound card is not easy for everyone, so just be really sure before you spend that amount of money.

@OP i feel it is stupid when you are using only 2.1 channel to get a 7.1 channel sound card? Also the sp2500 already features a DSP. !!!

You should seriously look for a high end 2.1 channel audio card. Try auzentech prelude, Lynx L22

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^it is common assumption that if a person is buying 20000+/very costly speakers he will not be using it to listen to mp3 tracks.:p also corsair SP2500 are not exactly audiophile grade speakers(compared to say audioengine) so it is quite debatable if sound difference would be significant enough to justify xonar stx.in my opinion a xonar dx or possibly even dg is sufficient for these speakers.

OP
A_ashish_A

A_ashish_A

Journeyman
what if instead of buying sound card i buy a decent AVreciever and a pair of good speakers?? will it be a good setup for music? and how will i fit my corsair speakers with it??

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
^^it is common assumption that if a person is buying 20000+/very costly speakers he will not be using it to listen to mp3 tracks.:p also corsair SP2500 are not exactly audiophile grade speakers(compared to say audioengine) so it is quite debatable if sound difference would be significant enough to justify xonar stx.in my opinion a xonar dx or possibly even dg is sufficient for these speakers.

20k speakers costly? :shock: LOL Which world are you living in bro ?

what if instead of buying sound card i buy a decent AVreciever and a pair of good speakers?? will it be a good setup for music? and how will i fit my corsair speakers with it??

decent AVR's like denon and onkyo cost upward of 20k AFAIK

*www.ebay.in/itm/KRK-Rokit-10-3-Studio-Monitors-/230839640632?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item35bf1d6238. this is studio grade audio, keep in mind home studio.

yes that is 48k / peice, add to that a amp, station mixer and not to mention a good powerful PC. total costs runs into lakhs for studio grade quality.

and that is the starting series....

If you are looking for a long term upgrade then get the STX.

+1 , but again difference in SQ may or may not be noticeable unless you shift to high end speakers later. Sound Card technology will stay same for a while.

even when shifting to high end audio gear, it is hard to say.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
20k speakers costly? LOL Which world are you living in bro ?
didn't get you.if you took my 20k speakers are costly statement in absolute terms then it was not my intention.when there are headphones costing 1lakh & above are available then 20k speakers are nowhere near costly but for most indians/non-audiophiles 20k speakers are big deal.i mentioned audioengine because in India they are at least more recognized courtesy digit magazine articles on them compared to studio grade KRK/similar brands.

Top Bottom