WP7 in India

noob

Cyborg Agent
I am looking for Nokia 800 or Samsung Omnia W WP in Mumbai. Is there any online store or do you guys know any shop selling those phones .?

HTC Radar white color sucks...and hence not buying it

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Buy a Samsung Focus from ebay (grey market) or else wait for Lumia 800 which would be available in a few weeks in India...

OP
N

noob

Cyborg Agent
I want it purely for app development and need it with warranty. Any idea about Samsung Omnia W ? its been 1 month since it had launched in Delhi...even before HTC Radar

sygeek

Technomancer
I want it purely for app development and need it with warranty. Any idea about Samsung Omnia W ? its been 1 month since it had launched in Delhi...even before HTC Radar
If you've already started with the development and have created some apps already, you can get one for free. You can also try contacting a Microsoft Mobile Champ.

Although I would strongly suggest you wait for Lumia 800.

OP
N

noob

Cyborg Agent
sure..it will be an honest review from MS developer using Android phone for long time..i just <3 Android.
Technically MS WP is nothing in front of Android as of now..MS is going to have tough fight

andro

Broken In
Agree,right now WP7 even after mango is lacking but in the future I think there will be only iOS,AD and WP7.The interface,fluidity and functionality is amazing.And its damn stable (android :banghead:).Also looking forward for ur app,give the details upon completion,will surely try it out.:grin:

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Agree,right now WP7 even after mango is lacking but in the future I think there will be only iOS,AD and WP7.The interface,fluidity and functionality is amazing.And its damn stable (android :banghead:).Also looking forward for ur app,give the details upon completion,will surely try it out.:grin:

Since Android is Open Source, Google cannot dictate manufacturers to use a certain quality or type of hardware to maintain a uniform quality experience. Also, Android's Java Virtual Machine DalvikVM sucks... too resource intensive, but allows Android to be Platform Neutral...

But Microsoft can dictate specifications of mobile phones in detail if manufacturers want to use WP7. That is why Samsung had to use Qualcomm chips in its WP7 phones instead of its own superior chips...

Because of this standardization, quality is maintained. It is just like the iPhone, but with multiple manufacturers... Essentially a hybrid model between Android and Apple...

Android experience can never be perfect for these reasons... especially on cheap sub-15k devices... iPhone 4 costs 35k+... how can an Optimus One compete with it, when we know all the limitations of Open Source Software?

andro

Broken In
I am not against android,infact I'm personally a hardcore Android fan...its just that i was making a simple comparison to that of WP7.

OP
N

noob

Cyborg Agent
Since Android is Open Source, Google cannot dictate manufacturers to use a certain quality or type of hardware to maintain a uniform quality experience. Also, Android's Java Virtual Machine DalvikVM sucks... too resource intensive, but allows Android to be Platform Neutral...

But Microsoft can dictate specifications of mobile phones in detail if manufacturers want to use WP7. That is why Samsung had to use Qualcomm chips in its WP7 phones instead of its own superior chips...

Because of this standardization, quality is maintained. It is just like the iPhone, but with multiple manufacturers... Essentially a hybrid model between Android and Apple...

Android experience can never be perfect for these reasons... especially on cheap sub-15k devices... iPhone 4 costs 35k+... how can an Optimus One compete with it, when we know all the limitations of Open Source Software?

It has nothing to do with Open source vs closed source.
WP API is way too much restricted. its Architecture is a total copy of iOS. This is why it does not match with iOS or Android.

MS has never forced anything to OEM except the minimum specs.
All WP phones look same on UI front. this makes me wonder how Nokia or other OEMS's is going to differentiate their phones with other OEM's

WP , just like iOS is not doing true multitasking. As per WP architecture, only 1 app can be in foreground (obvious) and all others (max 4) in background.when a app goes in background, no code can run and app freezes. it cant use any phone resource except RAM. If u open a 6th new app, out of 5 app in memory , 1 will be killed.
this way , WP is similar to iOS and hence not a true multitasking platform.

API is very much restricted. eg. i cant problematically add a event to calender.

If there is any chance for WP to catch up to Android or iOS , they need to have FAST release cycles..else its just gonna play a catch-up game.

OP
N

noob

Cyborg Agent
Update : I have cancelled the order from Flipkart. They mailed that there will be delay in delivery.

sygeek

Technomancer
sure..it will be an honest review from MS developer using Android phone for long time..i just <3 Android.
Technically MS WP is nothing in front of Android as of now..MS is going to have tough fight
you don't know what you're talking about.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
MS has never forced anything to OEM except the minimum specs.

No, they are not minimum specs... WP7 has to run on the same chassis on all phones... similar processor (Qualcomm... Samsung was not allowed to use its own superior chips), same screen resolution (WVGA 800x480)... OEM's can change the type of display (SLCD, Super Amoled, screen size, etc), change camera megapixels, add hardware keyboards, etc... but basically, all WP7 phones are identical. There is no differentiation, and so I believe OEMs won't be really interested in pushing it instead of Android, which gives them a free hand to do whatever they want...

sygeek

Technomancer
No, they are not minimum specs... WP7 has to run on the same chassis on all phones... similar processor (Qualcomm... Samsung was not allowed to use its own superior chips), same screen resolution (WVGA 800x480)... OEM's can change the type of display (SLCD, Super Amoled, screen size, etc), change camera megapixels, add hardware keyboards, etc... but basically, all WP7 phones are identical. There is no differentiation, and so I believe OEMs won't be really interested in pushing it instead of Android, which gives them a free hand to do whatever they want...
source please :)

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!

source please :)

Microsoft's latest WP7 chassis spec includes second-gen Snapdragon, optional gyroscope -- Engadget

*www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/04/11x0414msfty.jpg

Current WP7 handsets are all running the Qualcomm MSM8x50 Snapdragon, the original 1GHz chip with Adreno 200 graphics, but Microsoft has now upgraded the requirement to Qualcomm's second-gen part, the MSM8x55 and the more powerful Adreno 205 GPU.

sygeek

Technomancer
Microsoft's latest WP7 chassis spec includes second-gen Snapdragon, optional gyroscope -- Engadget

*www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/04/11x0414msfty.jpg

Current WP7 handsets are all running the Qualcomm MSM8x50 Snapdragon, the original 1GHz chip with Adreno 200 graphics, but Microsoft has now upgraded the requirement to Qualcomm's second-gen part, the MSM8x55 and the more powerful Adreno 205 GPU.
Well, that is the basic configuration a WP-based phone has to start with. It's not limited beyond that.

Top Bottom