Without ads, Android apps could be more than twice as power-efficient!!

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
*brokewino.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/blog-what-is-android.gif​

A team of researchers from Purdue University and Microsoft has discovered that up to 75 percent of app-related battery drain in Android can be caused by ad-serving processes. Led by Abhinav Pathak, the team developed an energy profiler named EProf, which is able to perform fine-grained analysis of the battery use of any Android app, separating each thread inside and recording its energy use. The team tested five popular Android applications including Angry Birds, FreeChess, and the New York Times app using a HTC Passion (Nexus One) running Android 2.3.

In testing Angry Birds, Pathak recorded energy usage for one level of gameplay, and found that less than 30 percent of the app's battery drain was caused by the game itself. The other 70 percent was consumed by the uploading of user information metrics, location, and downloading and displaying of adverts. Pathak notes that although the user profiling occurs only once, new adverts are displayed with each level, causing similar battery drain to occur throughout gameplay.

In FreeChess — a game downloaded over 10 million times — the team started a game and profiled a 33-second period. The test yielded similar results. with around 70 percent of battery drain being caused by ad-related processes. It wasn't only ad-serving apps that wasted battery life on non-essential functions, however, with both the native browser and the New York Times app expending around 15 percent of their total usage performing user tracking.

Pathak explained to us that the team's objective wasn't to expose any particular app or advertising agency for using too much energy, but rather to develop software that can help developers and advertisers to improve the efficiency of their software. Android ads don't have to consume so much energy — they're just poorly coded at the moment, the study suggested. The team plans to release the EProf tool for free under an open-source license soon.

Update: Abhinav Pathak has just reached out to let us know that his team is currently working with Microsoft Research to bring the EProf tool to Windows Phone, in addition to expanding its research on energy efficiency.

Source

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Turn GPS/3G/WIFI/BLUETOOTH OFF.
Good Enough To make phone run for whole day.
No Ads.
Root The Phone.
Throw out Bloatwares.
And done.No need For Premium Apps.
Battery Save.Mission Accomplished.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
The only major built in/pre-loaded crap is Google App suite.
Rest is manufacturer specific customisation and UI.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Looks like a study being promoted by app developers in an attempt to give boost in sales of "paid apps" :D

On a serious note, it might be true. I have never liked the nagging ads anyway. But the message is clear. If you can, buy the paid or donate versions of the apps. Helps both the devs and the battery! ;)

devx

Back on TDF :)
Hey man., what about the app -- AdFree -- i guess every root user got this and it's good.

Champ

.NET Guru
If a developer has written different threads for ad processing and main app activity, I will consider him a good developer.

Although I highly doubt claimed figure of 75%,Will surely like to see how they have measured power consumption and linked the same to battery usage.

@devx : Apps like adFree modify host file to redirect queries to popular ad serving services to localhost. So they get null or 404 responses.

Running OS under root account give access to system partitions, hence prerequisitefor apps like adFree

So installing adFree or turning off data will decrease power consumption to a extent (no CPU cycles will be wasted in ad data processing as app is now getting null responses) but will not entirely eliminate it (as calls to there services will still be made by app at periodic intervals).

Last edited:

TheLetterD

Will Power
If it wasnt for Ads google wouldnt earn money
So
No ads? No android
And we all would still be stuck with propriety OSs, Brew OS, Meego, Symbian, iOS and BBos

Oh lord. the horror.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ lol?

If you think the "embedded apps", which sucks the life out of battery, is the "only" source of "income" for Google, then you really need to open your eyes buddy!

I will try to give you a head start in understanding where does the money comes from Google. Wiki, "AdWords".

TheLetterD

Will Power
Ummm yeah but isnt that what you are talking about?
Im sorry if I said something wrong, Ive never owned an android before. I thought that free apps had those AdWords/AdSense advertisement system in them.

red dragon

Master troll
Turn GPS/3G/WIFI/BLUETOOTH OFF.
Good Enough To make phone run for whole day.
No Ads.
Root The Phone.
Throw out Bloatwares.
And done.No need For Premium Apps.
Battery Save.Mission Accomplished.
Why not turn off the freakin phone itself and buy a Nokia 1100?

Hey man., what about the app -- AdFree -- i guess every root user got this and it's good.
You do not need another stupid app for this....you can patch a few host files yourself and it is easy.

rahul_c

Journeyman
I just disable apps like games, tools, etc from avast firewall. That way they cant show ads, and use AdFree it blocks almost all in-app ads.

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
I doubt the 70% usage statistics being presented by them. Yes they consume battery but it shouldn't be this much. When developing a mobile app, you need to consider many facts. Battery is also one of them and I doubt that re-known developers would ignore this fact if ads were consuming this much of battery. :|

red dragon

Master troll
..... re-known developers would ignore this fact if ads were consuming this much of battery. :|
WTF is a RE-KNOWN dev?
On a serious note,Google should screen Android market more rigidly before creating hype on jellybean or whatever..it has become a junk yard.

Top Bottom