Wireless LAN suddenly gone missing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillnow

Broken In
I face a very strange problem with my laptop.

I have a 2 year old hp compaq v60000au (amd turion) laptop, had done a factory condition restoration recently. though i don't usually update windows, this time i did many of the security, performance updates. Then one day i slide the wireless button, the hp wireless assistant comes up but this time without "wlan: on" it now only shows "bluetooth: on"(it dosent even show wlan:disabled - wlan has completely disappeared)., i updated latest wireless adapter driver, uninstalled the last few vista updates, still i cant connect to any wireless networks and it says wireless adapter not configured or installed properly.

my bluetooth works, and under device manager all concerned devices are 'working properly'. please tell me if i can assume that my hardware is all right, wireless adapter etc?

i have even reinstalled hp wireless assistant. how i can resolve this!

thnks

Last edited:

dreams

Gracias Senor
this issue normally happens only when the driver for wifi is not properly installed. Luckily, I experienced the same issue in my compaq old lappy.
What I did was, downloded the latest driver for wifi from their website, installed them, then checked whether the device is in working condition under device manager.
Once installed, restarted the lappy and there comes the wifi.
Disable/Enable wifi card in the device manager and check. Also, update the drivers from device manager and not from running the setup directly.

Post the results here.

OP
C

chillnow

Broken In
thanks fr replying dreams

when i open device manager and under network adapters i can only see the following:

isatap.{180....etc
isatap.{...etc
RAS Async Adapter
WAN Miniport(ip)
WAN Miniport(ipv6)
Wan miniport(L2tp)
wan miniport (pppoe)
wan miniport(pptp)

i tried manually updating driver for WAN miniport ipv6 through 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers" and added broadcom wifi adapter, broadcom 802.11g wlan etc. but the os crashed while installing the driver for it. it happens every time i try. is my wifi adapter being recognized? please tell me if am updating a wrong device?

dreams

Gracias Senor
none of the displayed are ur wifi card. ur lappy model number is 6000au and not as u hv mentioned. lol

*h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwa...tem=ob-45570-1&product=3200953&os=228&lang=en

Scroll down, first install the driver and then the assistant
Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver
08-2007 6.20
HP Wireless Assistant
01-2007 3.00 D

OP
C

chillnow

Broken In
hmm... I have Vista, those drivers u mentioned are for XP, nevertheless I alreadydid try installing the same vista drivers(from a similar hp page) first by setup and then manually for which I just explained in my previous post what happened. Still no result.

I guess the worrying aspect is that none of the devices I can presently see detected are related to the wifi card. I just hope the wifi hardware dosent need replacement.

dreams

Gracias Senor
Oops!!! my bad. Try the following link for Vista drivers,

*h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=nz&lang=en&product=3200953
Are you able to get the amber light when you press the wifi button on the lappy?

Also, there is a setting in BIOS to enable wifi. Check whether it is enabled.

Advice: First try to install the chipset drivers and then the driver for wifi and then the wireless assistant. Personally I would suggest you download all the relevant drivers from the above link and burn it into a CD and install everything.
Al the best.

Last edited:

liquidsnake

Broken In
may be u swithced off the hrdware manually with the fn keys, the tower key with signals
i did tht too n paniced
just check the hardware in the bios if it is there
try to switch it on in the os
installing latest drivers wont help till ur hardware is on

OP
C

chillnow

Broken In
Hmm... i flashed the bios, no tower key in the keyboard - though iv tried them all. Bios setup dosent have anything regarding wifi. Seems like the hardware is ****ed, I wish there was a way to check.
where do u check this bios setting for wifi? cant see it in bios setup so it seems my bios probably dosent have such a setting.

Think i shud do a factory condition restoration and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom