Winter Upgrade - Best gaming season imo!

AshutoshM

Blue Age Wonders
Hey! guys. Since, winter season has already arrived with top notch games like ghosts, BF, AC, rivals, etc. it is useless to play without stuffing youselves into good old blankets with some hand warming device like usb burner :-D and a cup of hot coffee. So, while trying out the new battlefield, I experienced constant freezes during the game and realized that the rig is churning itself hard to give its best and time for an upgrade has come. Since, my monitor max resolution is limited to 1366x768, there isn't much load on gpu, but my current cpu is bottlenecking the gpu. More on that but, first i'll answer these tough questions:

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Ans: all the newest games mentioned above and only gaming, pure gaming, no productivity work.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: max 15k, not a single penny extra, tight on budget.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: no

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win 8.1 x64

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: everything I have, just need to upgrade the cpu and of course mob too

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: this Christmas

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: will be done by me only

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I prefer online shopping.

Now, the thing is that, if you check my current rig's specs, everything is fine except the cpu. So, I just want to upgrade the cpu to be able to ramp up with the gpu. I know, cpu upgrade is less significant, but since the current config. is already bottlenecked, I can't go for gpu upgrade (I know bf4 needs mlre vram). C2Ds handle games well but those two cores I think are not enough for latest gen. games plus the clock speed too. This is my personal opinion, any suggestions are welcome.
At one point, I also planned on getting a second hand C2Q, but when I came to know that even 2nd gen i3 perform much better than C2Qs, I dropped this idea. Other thing, as I don't plan on ocing, so pls dont suggest an unlocked cpu and any economy mobo will do.

OP
AshutoshM

AshutoshM

Blue Age Wonders
If, you search the web, you will find, there were two versions of CM extreme power supplies, one were actual 500W rated, other were only 460W but shown as a 500W. I'm having the second one. I know, if I run fx8320, the PSU will handle, but since it is not a very efficient psu, at high loads, it will draw an enormous amount of power from the wall, and will just raise my electric bill.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
^ yes good choice

Try to get i5 3450/70 @11k-11.5k

For mobo - Gigabyte b75 d3h @4.4k

or

Gigabyte H61 d2h @3.4k

OP
AshutoshM

AshutoshM

Blue Age Wonders
Done! Thanks a lot guys... :mrgreen:

@ASHISH65, another thing, can you tell me where can I get that much cheap i5?

OP
AshutoshM

AshutoshM

Blue Age Wonders
Only, if they are available here in Bhilwara, and I doubt it. So, the only way is to get it online. Anyways, I'll ask here first.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - if you are spending 16k on mobo+cpu combo better get i5 4440 + H81 motherboard .. the combo will cost you around 16k.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ It can handle but not at all recommended. At full load with HT enabled, 4770K consumes a lot of power and it dissipates a lot of heat which is not suitable for a lowest end chipset based motherboard.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
are not H81 motherboards even fine for i5 4440 ? there's not much difference between a cheap B85 mobos vrm part compared with a H81 motherboard for eg. have a look at the asus B85M-G and Asus H81 - Plus.

OP
AshutoshM

AshutoshM

Blue Age Wonders
I think there's no problem until one is going far from the stock frequencies. For a non k cpu, why to waste money on an expensive chipset knowing that one will rarely upgrade in the future. @Cilius, bro I disagree with you. What do you mean by more power, it will only consume that much amount of amount of power that it is intended to use on stock and the heat to be removed by the cooler will be not more than its max TDP. And heat is not good whatever chipset it is, the only difference between a low end chipset and a high end one (lets say h61 vs z68) is that the capacitors and other electric components of a high end chipset have more resistance to temperature. If you plan on using a powerful CPU, you must make arrangements to dissipate the heat in best possible way, because the CPU trends to produce heat which is highest in areas around it. So, unless you have military grade components in that area, you are damaging your motherboard if you are not able to effectively remove heat from those areas. So, there's no problem to go with cheaper chipset like h61 or h81, just should have proper cooling.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
don't compare motherboards for haswell with socket 1155 motherboards ;) HW cpus have integrated vrm so unless OCing a good H81 motherboard is good enough even for quad core cpus and this is why some H81 and B85 motherboard shares same vrm design near cpu area.

Top Bottom