Status
Not open for further replies.

mightyboosh

Broken In
Right, i have a Dell vostro 1500 with;

120 gig SATA
2 GB DDR
well, that's about it i think..

OS installed; Dual boot with windows XP home edition and Gutsy Gibbon Kubuntu 7.10 via GRUB

I was not home, and my room mate accidentally crashed my windows. HE says that he'd been using the computer to watch videos on youtube, and some other word files were open. The laptop was on charge from what he told me, However, when i found it, it was outof charge and had to put it on charge to get it started.

What's weird is that, it goes to the sign in page, asks me for the password, signs me in, loads everything up and right when everything's loading up, the blue screen comes on with an error message (liek a code) and the words beginning dump of physical memory I've restarted it a couple of times and it happens every time.

What i've tried:
The pc still boots up in the safe mode
I tried running system restore from on there, but idon't have any previous system restore points which is why i can't restore my computer to go back or anything.

From what i've read up, it's because of a certain driver that this is happening. I think it 'might' be because of my wireless detector, so i deactivated it and booted in normal mode, no difference.

I also tried uninstalling the driver while in safe mode, but it wouldn't let me. Do you have any advice or links that can help me because i'm busy through most of my time right now and can't afford to reinstall windows xp because i'd have to then change the boot log and i'm not very sure about doing that. ALso, i want to figure out what's wrong with my windows instead of just popping the install cd in.

I don't think linux is causing any problem, and i'm using linux do do my work right now..

Do you think you could help me solve this?

ashstud_83

Unknown,Unseen,Unheard..
hey there man,no worrries..check ur RAM modules one by one..shud be the problem with that mostly..just try one stick at a time..abt the OS,well i dont think u can get back the previous settings and all..but u can try and recover all the data using the recovery software and all..tc..

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
would be better if you mentioned the error code...any specific file name it has mentioned or something like that

anandk

Distinguished Member
u need to know th error code to find the soln. though its for vista, this link will help u *www.winvistaclub.com/t3.html for xp too.

OP
M

mightyboosh

Broken In
Sorry for the late reply, i had the subscription on instant notification so i thought i didn't get any replies.

As i said, the recovery is not an option, there are no previous restore points.
Also, what do you mean by the RAM modules?

i'm dual booting my computer, so all the files are still accessible through lionux, and they were all on a separate partition (i've had problems with xp a lot, so i don't keep anything on C:)

If i format my C: right now, i won't really lose any data except the programs (which is perfectly okay) i just wanted to figure out if there's a logical way to fix it except for re-formatting. I also have access to all my data since it's on an EXT3 partition sharing between windows and linux. you don't think that can be a problem, do you?

EDIT:

I'll also have to reconfigure my GRUB, which i'm not sure i know how to do because windows doesn't recognise the existence of any other OS when it's being installed.

I'll try and get your the error message..any suggestions are welcome in the mean time

Last edited:

goldy_connect

Broken In
mushroomcloudwarrior said:
Sorry for the late reply, i had the subscription on instant notification so i thought i didn't get any replies.

As i said, the recovery is not an option, there are no previous restore points.
Also, what do you mean by the RAM modules?

i'm dual booting my computer, so all the files are still accessible through lionux, and they were all on a separate partition (i've had problems with xp a lot, so i don't keep anything on C:)

If i format my C: right now, i won't really lose any data except the programs (which is perfectly okay) i just wanted to figure out if there's a logical way to fix it except for re-formatting. I also have access to all my data since it's on an EXT3 partition sharing between windows and linux. you don't think that can be a problem, do you?

EDIT:

I'll also have to reconfigure my GRUB, which i'm not sure i know how to do because windows doesn't recognise the existence of any other OS when it's being installed.

I'll try and get your the error message..any suggestions are welcome in the mean time

Hello friend,

If you are regular reader of Digit, and you have Digit sep 2006 issue, then go to page no 98 and see the solution of your problem. If not then I pasted it next day.

OP
M

mightyboosh

Broken In
Hey,

Sorry, i'm not a Digit reader man..i just find this forum extremely helpful.

If you could just maybe tell me where i could read the article, or something..it would help a lot.

reddick

Mobile Freak
Sorry, i'm not a Digit reader man..i just find this forum extremely helpful.
Then buy 'DIGIT special issue' of this month,You'll came to know wht u r loosing earlier,Most helpful mag though :razz:

goldy_connect

Broken In
Ok,
There are two process: - If windows does not start due to driver conflict then you can replace just the "system" file. And if this does not work, then replace "Software" file also.

Procedure: -

First boot your computer with the help of Windows XP CD by setting the first boot device to CD-ROM in BIOS. When you see "Press any key to boot from cd" do so. You see some files are loaded onto your computer and there after you see a recovery console screen. In this screen choose repair option by pressing [R]. You mentioned that your system has dual boot with UBUNTU. when ask you to "Which windows installation would you like to log into", just press 1 (If only windows XP or not any other version of Windows is loaded on your computer). And then after enter the Adminstrator Password in order to "Log On" to the windows installation. If your computer has not any AD Password, just press Enter key. (do not repeat thrice wrong password, as computer restart).
Now you will be given at command prompt that says C:\WINDOWS.
In this prompt, first try to repair/restore the driver conflict( System File), by type the following command, (use as same as I am type here): -

attrib -h-s system32\config\system and then press enter
after that type : -
copy repair\system system32\config and press enter

when asking you to overwrite just press [y].

type Exit in the prompt and remove the XP CD from drive and see whether it works or not.

If it not work then bring up the command prompt again by using the same method above, and type the folowing command to repair/recover software conflict,

attrib -s-h system32\config\software and press enter

after that type:
copy repair\software system32\config and press enter. and again when ask to overwrite, press [y].
type EXIT and remove the XP CD and then see what happens.

This tutorial is very helpful if you do not want to format and then load windows xp again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom