Windows was not able to complete the format - USB drive

amjath

Human Spambot
Hi,
I had a infected USB drive. Forgot its infected, used rufus to make usb boot for XP. When rufus tried formatting, the operation did not complete. So i tried formatting directly it pops this error
"Windows was not able to complete the format"
Tried formatting via disk management same issues.
Used HP USB Disk Format tool, but
*i.imgur.com/wt72xPw.png
tried deleting StorageDevicePolicies Key from registry, same issue
help

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Hi,
I had a infected USB drive. Forgot its infected, used rufus to make usb boot for XP. When rufus tried formatting, the operation did not complete. So i tried formatting directly it pops this error
"Windows was not able to complete the format"
Tried formatting via disk management same issues.
Used HP USB Disk Format tool, but
*i.imgur.com/wt72xPw.png
tried deleting StorageDevicePolicies Key from registry, same issue
help

First, connect your USB device to your computer. Then right-click on My Computer from the desktop and choose Manage.

Next click on Device Manager and then expand out Disk Drives. You should see your USB drive listed there as "Generic USB 2.0 USB Drive" or something similar.

Now right-click on the USB drive under Disk Drives and choose Properties. Then go to the Policies tab.

Now you will see two options, the "Optimize for quick removal" selected by default. Go ahead and change that by selecting the "Optimize for performance" option. This enables writing caching on the drive and therefore allows you to format it as NTFS! Sweet.

That's it. Now click OK and then go to My Computer. Right click on the drive in My Computer and choose Format. In the File System drop down you will now see the option for NTFS!

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
^tried em too same issues
Taken from ServerComputing
[FONT=&amp]Sometimes you cannot (actually Windows cannot) format a USB Pendrive or to a particular File system (eg: NTFS, Fat32, etc) in GUI mode. But still you can try format by using command prompt in Windows operating systems.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Format the Pendrive to Fat32 file system using command prompt.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Login as an administrator powered user and go to "Command prompt" and run the below command. In the below command "g" is the drive letter of the USB flash drive. The command will format the Pendrive to Fat32 file system.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]C:\>format g: /q /fs:fat32
[/FONT]

Format the Pendrive to NTFS file system using command prompt.

[FONT=&amp]Before formating your USB flash drive to NTFS file system, you need to enable the "Removal policy" of the Pendrive to "Better performance" option. Otherwise windows cannot format to NTFS filesystem.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]For doing this, go to "Properties" of the pendrive and select "Hardware" tab and select the Pendrive from the listed disks then click on "Properties". Then click on "Policies" tab and enable the option "Better performance" and click "OK". Now run the below command in command prompt.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]In the below command "g" is the drive letter of the USB flash drive.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]C:\>[/FONT][FONT=&amp]format g: /q /fs:ntfs[/FONT]

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
^ tried cmd too forgot to mention in op. I get error in IOCTL
well gonna try ubuntu to format

I think my pen drive is dead finally, In disk management it is showing 3.73 GB but its 8GB drive
any help

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
Will try

update: minitool partition manager keeps quitting i think it is the issue with the usb

TheHumanBot

Padawan
try one by one

*www.transcendusa.com/Support/DLCenter/Software/OnLineRecovery.exe

Start -> Run… -> gpedit.msc -> OK
Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Removable Storage Access
In here I disabled all of the “Deny read access/write access” options; you may only want to disable the ones relating directly to the type of media that you want to access.
Here are the ones I changed:
Removable Disks: Deny execute access
Removable Disks: Deny read access
Removable Disks: Deny write access
Double-click each one and select the ‘Disabled‘ radio button.

To remove write protection:
  • Open Start Menu >> Run, type regedit and press Enter. This will open the registry editor.
  • Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies
  • Double click the key WriteProtect in the right pane and set the value to 0
  • In the Data Value Box, press OK
  • Exit Registry, restart your computer and then re-connect your USB pen drive to your computer.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Try a different machine.

Or try diskpart (Vista/Win7, not available in XP or less)

• Run cmd as administrator
  • diskpart
  • list disk
  • select disk # (where, in place of #, type the corresponding number of your pendrive. If you have one hdd and this pendrive, then your hdd number should be 0, and pendrive should be 1. Careful, you could wipe out a different drive if you enter wrong number)
  • clean
  • create partition primary
  • active
  • format fs=ntfs quick
  • assign
  • exit
Now you can exit cmd also. Hope this helps.

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
Try a different machine.

Or try diskpart (Vista/Win7, not available in XP or less)

• Run cmd as administrator
  • diskpart
  • list disk
  • select disk # (where, in place of #, type the corresponding number of your pendrive. If you have one hdd and this pendrive, then your hdd number should be 0, and pendrive should be 1. Careful, you could wipe out a different drive if you enter wrong number)
  • clean
  • create partition primary
  • active
  • format fs=ntfs quick
  • assign
  • exit
Now you can exit cmd also. Hope this helps.
*i.imgur.com/pKUcgSN.png
Try low level formatting
tried hddguru low level format not working
*i.imgur.com/VsutrGw.png

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
^^device was unplugged error
is USB port working fine?

try to create a new partition using a new partition manager

after N number of tries if still it doesn't work than it has gone kaput :eeksign: goodbye

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
^^device was unplugged error
is USB port working fine?

try to create a new partition using a new partition manager

after N number of tries if still it doesn't work than it has gone kaput :eeksign: goodbye

officially :(
port is working fine tool says unplugged but explorer and safe remove still shows

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
I used live cd for open Solaris and ubuntu, but keyboard and mouse is not working :( Will try installing ubuntu today

TheHumanBot

Padawan
i feel like OP is trolling us. :lol: or it's hardware problem of pendrive or USB port. do formatting on friends PC as mentioned methods.

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
:rofl: not trolling bro, I have tried all the methods before coming here, everything failed. I wanted to get different method/personal experience may be to help resolve my issue :)

Top Bottom