Windows Vista's 90-Day Report Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Compatibility problems tend to smooth out over time. Twenty thousand device drivers were available when Vista was released, and more are coming out at a rate of 1,600 per month. "We believe about 90% of devices are covered today," says Boettcher.

More than 7,000 applications have received Microsoft's "Works With Vista" designation, but only 1,000 have been "certified" for Vista, a more rigorous process that ensures the highest level of compatibility. Even Microsoft has to prioritize which of its applications get Vista certification first, Boettcher says.

Microsoft says Vista rollouts are in line with its expectations. Two early indicators--support calls and application and device compatibility--are about where it would have expected, Boettcher says. Microsoft last week couldn't name any customers that have deployed Vista on more than a few hundred PCs, but a handful, including the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, plan to have Vista on thousands of PCs by year's end.

In the three months since Vista's business release, there's been only one patch to the operating system. Patch MS07-010 was issued in February to fix a critical vulnerability related to the way the Microsoft Malware Protection Engine parses Portable Document Format, or PDF, files. The vulnerability, while not within Vista itself, could allow an attacker to remotely execute code on a Vista PC.

For a company that's been pounded relentlessly for vulnerabilities in its software, a single patch over three months is cause for celebration, though Microsoft knows better than to call attention to its success. "There will be vulnerabilities found in Vista," says Stephen Toulouse, senior product manager in Microsoft's Trustworthy Computing Group. But no news is good news, and Microsoft, remarkably, has no patches planned for March.

Source

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
Here's the moral of the story:Don't upgrade to Windows Vista just yet, ot preferably, not at all.

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
MS are doing their bit for Vista..Hardly any vulnerabilities have been found in Vista which itself speaks that Vista is turning out to be more secure than its predecessor.Well we will have to wait for atleast 3 more months before deciding the verdict but still half battle for MS is won.The market penetration will depend on how Microsoft play their cards well & rethink the pricing...Otherwise it will take longer than expected & by that time Vienna will be out

Pathik

Google Bot
many people are still not upgrading to vista bcoz of the price + they dont find anything wrong in vista.. + device driver unavailability... + lesser app compatibility than xp..

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
ya it is still 90 days over na..They will do it..Compatibility & support issues will be solved but the main hindrance will be price...That is what is in MS's hands..Lets see what they do..

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
kirangp said:
Otherwise it will take longer than expected & by that time Vienna will be out
Don't bet your cards on that, mate - Vienna is a gonna take a long time to materialise. Microsoft themselves have pegged the release date as 2011, which when translated from PR-speak probably means somewhere around 2015. Vista will have a long time to get cosy. :)

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
aryayush said:
Don't bet your cards on that, mate - Vienna is a gonna take a long time to materialise. Microsoft themselves have pegged the release date as 2011, which when translated from PR-speak probably means somewhere around 2015. Vista will have a long time to get cosy. :)

I had read somewhere that future OSes will not take as much time as MS took for Vista...So they are telling a date between 2009-2011 & that I personally feel is true.Because of Service packs for Xp they had to halt the development of Vista & remove some of the features which I think will be brought back in Vienna & they have also said that they have had enough of Start MENU system & they will bring a revolutionary interface...Not much is known about it...They might release some sneak peaks only after Vista is stablized not until that

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Well, you cannot expect them to tell you that the expected date is 2011 but we will delay it as usual. They will obviously tell you that it won't be delayed this time. That is called PR-speak. :)

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
Hehe...u r hellbent on finding out some or the other flaw with MS....Anywayz I have a feeling that this time MS might actually get the OS out on time :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
Well, you cannot expect them to tell you that the expected date is 2011 but we will delay it as usual. They will obviously tell you that it won't be delayed this time. That is called PR-speak. :)

Here is the thing, Vista is the base for next OS from Microsoft. With Vista Microsoft has developed many technologies for the next decade. DirectX, WDDM & a lot more which i have already mentioned numuras time.

With Vienna, MS already has a solid foundation in the form of Vista. Now all they have to do is to add new features & a lot new things & technologies (SAS etc).

Next OS from MS will come earlier then we expect. If you are having no problems with Windows XP & don't need the features of XP, it would be better to skip vista all together.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
I dont think its the price that is making people not upgrade to VISTA. Its the lack of proper working crack that is makeing people not upgrade. Dish me a free copy of Vista and see if i dont upgrade atleast for 4 days..

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
There are quite a few working cracks for Vista floating around, you just need to look at the right places. ;)

By the way, market analysts do not take into account the users who upgrade with the help of piracy anyway.

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
@freshseasons
First is the price factor because Vista is the costliest Microsoft OS released until now & second is the hardware upgrade required..These 2 are the main factors which are contributing for less sales of Vista...And Vista's Trial period protection was cracked the day it hit the market...As aryayush said..you have to look in not so hidden places to find that kind of stuff;)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
kirangp said:
@freshseasons
First is the price factor because Vista is the costliest Microsoft OS released until now & second is the hardware upgrade required..These 2 are the main factors which are contributing for less sales of Vista...And Vista's Trial period protection was cracked the day it hit the market...As aryayush said..you have to look in not so hidden places to find that kind of stuff;)

Oh comon.....enough with the "You need to upgrade the hardware to use Vista" Bull crap, nothing like that is required. It runs fine on your current hardware. I m runing it fine on my 3+ years old PC desktop

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
U may be running it but I know many users who are hesitant to even think about Vista with the system they are running...Xp only doesnt run properly forget Vista & that is not bullcrap..that is the fact

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
kirangp said:
U may be running it but I know many users who are hesitant to even think about Vista with the system they are running...Xp only doesnt run properly forget Vista & that is not bullcrap..that is the fact

Oh plz, try runing Vista on your PC too once.

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
buddy Saurav...My h/w will have no probs running Vista at all with all functionalities enabled..I just dont have the cash rite now to buy it :(..I am talking about others' dude...anywayz y r we arguing????dude even I am a MS supporter like u..lolz

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
it's not about supporting. It's about efficiency & awareness. I hope u know how we PC guys act mature. Plz do so....

Remembar, you can legally use vista for 30 days without even entering a key.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Vista will run on three year old PCs but it will run incredibly slow. It will run slow on anything less than 1.5 GB of RAM and dedicated graphics card.

gx_saurav said:
I hope u know how we PC guys act mature.
*forums.wirenine.com/images/smilies/animated/roflmao.gif :lol: *soccergrip.com/forum/Smileys/default/roflmao.gif *forums.wirenine.com/images/smilies/animated/roflmao.gif :lol: *soccergrip.com/forum/Smileys/default/roflmao.gif *forums.wirenine.com/images/smilies/animated/roflmao.gif :lol: *soccergrip.com/forum/Smileys/default/roflmao.gif *forums.wirenine.com/images/smilies/animated/roflmao.gif :lol: *soccergrip.com/forum/Smileys/default/roflmao.gif *forums.wirenine.com/images/smilies/animated/roflmao.gif :lol: *soccergrip.com/forum/Smileys/default/roflmao.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom