Windows Vista SP1 RC1 Released for Public

Status
Not open for further replies.

shantanu

Technomancer
i also installed it on a fresh install and i did not gave me any problem.. the error you are getting refers to : some security issue.. are you using PIrated windows ? it maybe that the serial is in black list.. you can try installing without activating..

OP
alsiladka

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
No pirated windows. I am starting the installation on unactivated windows only. I purposefully did not activate since i knew there would be issues and i would be formatting!!

While downloading it from WU, this time it is getting stuck at 20% and gives me the error code -

Windows Update error 80070002

If you receive Windows Update error 80070002 while checking for updates, you need to remove the temporary update files that Windows uses to identify updates for your computer. To remove the temporary files, stop the Windows Update service, delete the temporary update files, restart the Windows Update service, and then try to check for Windows updates again.

To stop the Windows Update service
You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

Click to open Administrative Tools.

Double-click Services. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Right-click the Windows Update service, and then click Stop.

To delete temporary update files
Click to open Computer.

Double-click the local hard disk where Windows is installed, typically drive C.

Double-click the Windows folder, and then double-click the SoftwareDistribution folder.

Double-click the DataStore folder to open it, and then delete all files and folders in the folder. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the Back button. In the SoftwareDistribution folder, double-click the Download folder to open it, and then delete all files in the folder. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To restart the Windows Update service
You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

Click to open Administrative Tools.

Double-click Services. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Right-click the Windows Update service, and then click Start.

If the problem persists after you have followed the steps above, see this Knowledge Base article on the Microsoft Help and Support website or go to the Windows Update Support Center website to request support by e‑mail.

Note
Deleting temporary update files will help solve the problem, but it will also delete the history in Windows Update. You can still see which updates are installed on your computer by going to Installed Updates:

To see which updates are installed on the computer
Click to open Installed Updates.

Help and Support search term: WindowsUpdate_80070002

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Yash, boy...I told u not to use Windows Update. In my case, I re-installed Vista, then after first boot I installed the service pack wit th 436 MB standalone installer & it worked fine. Do this, don't go for Windows Update when there is a stanalone exe available.

OP
alsiladka

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
gx_saurav said:
Yash, boy...I told u not to use Windows Update. In my case, I re-installed Vista, then after first boot I installed the service pack wit th 436 MB standalone installer & it worked fine. Do this, don't go for Windows Update when there is a stanalone exe available.
Did that, still get that internal error. Will try it again today! When is the next release for a SP1 testing expected?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
After installing SP1 some system hacks will not work, here is the solution.

1) Download uxtheme patched for Vista SP1 RC

2) To remove the "Evolution Copy" text from desktop, just replace the user32.dll.mui file in C:\Windows\System32\en-US with this Moded version.

3) Must install Vize, it's a must for all Windows Vista users.

If you are unable to replace the files due to permission restriction, then just rename the existing file to filenameold.dll & then copy the new files.

shantanu said:
436 mb ? GX : what i got was 836 mb ? and it installed flawless.. ? whats this..

Check yourself, it is the version with only 5 languages, so it's 436 MB, There is another version with all 36 languages, which is 550 MB.

What u got was beta version, the file size of RC is reduced a lot & it doesn't leave any clutter like previous beta used to leave

When is the next release for a SP1 testing expected?

Can't say, since this is RC not RCx (like 1 or 2). The next release might just be Final SP.

Yash, mind stating your hardware config.

Last edited:

shantanu

Technomancer
GX: you muct have downloaded it from technet or directly from M$ site..

i got it from connect : and it is RC1 in five language.. let me tell the file name :

mu_windows_vista_service_pack_1_rc1_x64_en_de_ja_fr_es

and it si 733 MB :) sorry for the wrong size previously..

Last edited:
OP
alsiladka

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
I have a Celeron M 1.4Ghz laptop with 759 MB RAM. Intel 915 chipset. A dumbass laptop, wish i could upgrade!

Got it working. I had to download the 5 Language Standalone again. But it would not work on vlited Windows, i just removed the languages and the printer drivers. Still it would not work.

Did a clean install and then ran the standalone at the first instance.

Definitely see some improvement in deleting files from the desktop. Dont think there was any improvement in file copying.

Last edited:

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
I installed SP 1.. I m not able to give full control (permission) to my account or anyone... Its disabled and not letting me edit. What shld I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom