Windows Vista SP1 RC1 Released for Public

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
alsiladka

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Charan said:
Umm actually why do you guys use Beta or RC's? after all you will be installing the final version na... I dont install Betas or RC's cause its just a waste of bandwidth and time for me .. Unless you are a tester or really need that update .. I dont see a reason to install this :| . this is just my opinion

If we dont, then who would? And then how would they reach the final stage?
But basically, just for the fun!!

^^Dude world is divided between the two, one who test beta and RCs and others who dont! :-D :-D

@shantanu : I did everything as you said, and it did clean up much of the mess. And i can't find the folder specified by you, the one with long name :) . Still there is about 800Mb-1 GB data that is lurking somewhere.
Also can i delete the contents of download folder inside c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution. Are those files needed if one of the system files get replaced by some software. Since i have upgraded to SP1, i dont think Vista DVD can be used by SFC. ??

shantanu

Technomancer
i wont say you to delete the files there ! the max you can do is to clean your drive! that you did already.. another thing is to check for the broken files.. first defrag your drive and then clear your internet cache and temporary internet files from INTERNET explorer properties.. after that nothing else is to be deleted manually.. :)

OP
alsiladka

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
What you could also do is run a Disk Chekup. Maybe there is free space but it is not yet allocated as free space in your MFT.

Still not able to download from WU, stuck at 13%. Deleted the contents of Download folder from Softwar Distribution 4 5 times. After the download, the contents of the folder just keeps increasing. 10000 files are there in it sometimes! I have also downloaded the Standalone, will use it later.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
My age old computer feels faster then before :D, but I did a clean install & then SP1 RC

alsiladka said:
What you could also do is run a Disk Chekup. Maybe there is free space but it is not yet allocated as free space in your MFT.

Still not able to download from WU, stuck at 13%. Deleted the contents of Download folder from Softwar Distribution 4 5 times. After the download, the contents of the folder just keeps increasing. 10000 files are there in it sometimes! I have also downloaded the Standalone, will use it later.

Just download the 436 MB standalone installer. That's what I did.

Last edited:
@shantanu : OK. Thanks very much.
@gx_saurav : I also have, you can say, an age old laptop, a celeron 1.6 on GMA 915 with 1.24 GB of RAM. It feels more responsive after Vista SP1.
Ya, i also thought about doing a clean install, but at this time i cant coz had to use my lappy immediately. But ya, when final version arrives, i would definitely prefer to install fresh using the standalone installer for 5 languages.

OP
alsiladka

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Even with the Standalone, i am not able to install. It is giving me an Internal error. Will be formatting and installing today!

Lets hope all goes well.

alsiladka said:
Even with the Standalone, i am not able to install. It is giving me an Internal error. Will be formatting and installing today!

Lets hope all goes well.

ya i think there may be some configuration problems, that may be not allowing the upgrade. Clean install will definitely work.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Krazy_About_Technology said:
Also can i delete the contents of download folder inside c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution. Are those files needed if one of the system files get replaced by some software. Since i have upgraded to SP1, i dont think Vista DVD can be used by SFC. ??

U can delete the contents of the "Download" folder...

SFC /scannow no longer needs a DVD to work, it will work without the DVD too

OP
alsiladka

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Even after the clean install, something is messed up!! Getting impatient now! WU again stuck at 13%, Standalone gives an error again while extracting!

What do you people suggest?

alsiladka said:
Even after the clean install, something is messed up!! Getting impatient now! WU again stuck at 13%, Standalone gives an error again while extracting!

Well there are many possibilities. First of all, how much time did you wait for Windows Update to finish? In my case, i had a fully patched system before SP1. Windows Updated told at first the size of install to be 54 MB. But twice it seemed hanged for an hour or so and then the download size increased. At 95% it hanged for a long time and then the install finally finished at 79.9 MB. It didn't even showed any percentage after 95%, just finished in a go. So maybe in your case too the installations seems hanged but it may be not. It takes a lot of time in certain cases.

And about your standalone executable, well may be its corrupt.

If you have a fast connection, try re downloading the standalone file in one go without stopping your download manager. If you prefer Windows Update, try giving it more time, it can take up to 5 hours to download and install, or maybe even more, can't say.

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Couldn't resist to wait. Downloaded the multi-language release candidate. Would be doing a fresh install followed by the pack.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
alsiladka said:

Do a clean install & then install using the 436 MB standalone installer. Forget WU when u have then full file

OP
alsiladka

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Even on a clean install, the first thing i did was run the standalone. It gave the internal error while installing the service pack!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom