windows not allowing me to delete files.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omsck

Broken In
i have win xp installed on c:, i had installed vista in d: with dual boot... then i deleted the vista folders nd changed boot.ini... but the 2 folders of vista ; windows nd docm & settings im not able to delete...access denied.. make sure that disk is..blah blah...how do i remove them???

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
Are you sure they are of Vista???
Run CheckDisk on your D: Drive. I think those files are gone currupt thats why they can not be deleted.
Try deleting them again.
If its not working then boot in safe mode and delete them. I think this should solve the problem.

OP
O

Omsck

Broken In
im 100% surethey are of vista... i tried to delete them in safemode but still the same error....what to do???

..:: Free Radical ::..

The Transcendental
Try Unlocker
*ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

*ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/example.png

also for
Cannot delete file: Access is denied
There has been a sharing violation.
The source or destination file may be in use.
The file is in use by another program or user.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
Are you sure they are of Vista???
Run CheckDisk on your D: Drive. I think those files are gone currupt thats why they can not be deleted.
Try deleting them again.
If its not working then boot in safe mode and delete them. I think this should solve the problem.
Nuh uh.. Scandisk won't help.... And neither will deletion in safe mode....

@Omsck

Do you have a Windows 98 or Windows XP boot disk ?? If you have the former... Boot with and then try and delete the twp drives from there..
If you have the latter, again, boot from it and enter Repair Mode... From there, delete the reqd folders.

..:: Free Radical ::..

The Transcendental
Try booting from a BartPE disk, live cd eg. some linux distro which can mount and edit ntfs & fat32, or even a bootable floppy of ntfsdos and delete the crap.
If you can't do this,
try exiting all running programs, kill as many processes & services you can in Task Manager, even explorer
than run cmd prompt by win+r key (enter cmd in the run dialog box)
in dos, navigate to the directory and delete it by:
DEL "Path of the folder" /F /S /Q

Last edited:

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
If you can't do this,
I don't see why he can't do that...

try exiting all running programs, kill as many processes & services you can in Task Manager, even explorer
than run cmd prompt by win+r key (enter cmd in the run dialog box)
in dos, navigate to the directory and delete it by:
DEL "Path of the folder" /F /S /Q

Are you sure that ^^^ will work ?? cmd is just a DOS shell which runs over Windows. So, he still won't be able to delete the files...

I suspect that the partition , from which he wants to delete is NTFS.. In such a case, my suggestion of WIN 98 boot disk won't work.... Go for ntfsdos disk as per the suggestion by Free Radical.

OP
O

Omsck

Broken In
cant delete from recovery console, access denied..
& dont have a floppy drive....
but i do have a usb mp3 player... i formatted it but the option for creating a ms dos startup disk is disabled!!

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
Why do you at all want to delete those files?What are they ?? And what is the size of the folders ?

One of the above processes should have worked....

OP
O

Omsck

Broken In
see the first post ....some vista folders... they r total crap....its size is abt 8 gb.....

any other solutions???

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Open "Tools -> Folder Options" and goto "View" tab and make sure that the option "Use Simple File Sharing" (or something like that) is disabled.

Now right-click on the folders and click on "Properties".
Goto "Security" tab and make sure ur account has all permissions. If not then grant it all permissions. If it doesnt help, then take ownership of the folder.

Now try again to delete the folders.

OP
O

Omsck

Broken In
it works! i took ownership but still it dint allow me .. but i hadnt selectd the option to inherit the attributes... after doing so all files were deleted......thanks a lot...

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
Open "Tools -> Folder Options" and goto "View" tab and make sure that the option "Use Simple File Sharing" (or something like that) is disabled.

Now right-click on the folders and click on "Properties".
Goto "Security" tab and make sure ur account has all permissions. If not then grant it all permissions. If it doesnt help, then take ownership of the folder.

Now try again to delete the folders.

@ Vishal

How come one is unable to do so from within the recovery console??

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ bcoz the owner of those folders is different from administrator (its Trustedinstaller, I think) and u hv to logged in with administrator account in "Recovery Console", so u r not authorized to delete them. ;)

OP
O

Omsck

Broken In
@ vishal, i was asked for the admin password in the recovery console;does it mean that it was logged as admin ?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ u didnt get it. ;)
What I meant is, only "Trustedinstaller" account can delete those folders coz its the owner and u logged in as administrator in Recovery Console not trustedinstaller, then how can u delete those folders? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom