flyingcow

Shibe
i recently built a new system with these following specs-
m5a97 evo r2.0
wd blue 1tb
7950 w/boost
sniper ram
seasonic 620 w psu

pc booted up to the bios in the first try. then i prepared a win 7 bootable usn, started to install, came to the screen whr we have to partition. it hanged there,so i restarted, it took about 10 min on the screen where it says, starting windows (b4 starting the install)
then i selected language,then it came to the partition menu, i selected the 'new' option and made it og same size as hdd. it froze there for 10 mins, and said it cudnt create the partition on the disk, and said to enable its controller.

tried to install many times but same error ang long wating times than the 1st time i tried,

reinserted the jumper, intalled from disk too, eve n tried ffrom diff win 7, didnt work please help :cry::cry::cry:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
check bios settings for hdd mode(legacy & AHCI).change to another to see if it works.also disable UEFI mode & use legacy mode in bios.

OP
flyingcow

flyingcow

Shibe
the mode was already set to ahci mode, tried ide mode didnt work. how do i disable uefi mode? when i wa installing from usb, i saw uefi wriiten on the icon (in boot priority). i tried it withou usb uefi, didnt work, i am currently using opd to install, i dont see the uefi icon on the opd in bios. i have tried installing win 7 9-10 times now, failed every time. and it takes 10 min on the starting window screen, and another 10 mins later in the partition screen, happened sAme to you harshil? how did u disable uefi mode on the mobo? please help guys really frustrated :(

should i post screenshots/ vid if needed/? im downloading xp right now. hoping it works. is this a hdd problem?/

The uefi option doesn't appear for each bootable media, its a system wide setting. For example, in my bios, there is just one setting named "uefi boot" which on disabling led to a successfull installation of win 8.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
I had a similar problem where I was unable to install Win7 on a laptop. After hours of trying, I changed the boot priority of the HDD and it installed correctly.

OP
flyingcow

flyingcow

Shibe
do one thing when partition comes first format the disk and the select it for os installation

there is no format option on the windows partition screen :( it is present but is unavailable, only 'new' is available. i opened cmd prompt from recovery tools, typed this-
diskpart
list disk
select disc 0
clean
create partition primary size=102400
^this step doesnt work it says i/o error which is weird :|
i belive it is to format and create partition...right?

I had a similar problem where I was unable to install Win7 on a laptop. After hours of trying, I changed the boot priority of the HDD and it installed correctly.

you changed it to what?

i have it on - opd>hdd

The uefi option doesn't appear for each bootable media, its a system wide setting. For example, in my bios, there is just one setting named "uefi boot" which on disabling led to a successfull installation of win 8.
oh, i meant something like this *i.imgur.com/ffuAU1G.png

so you mean there will be an option in the bios to disable it, will i get the same error for xp?

please help guys :(

varun004

Journeyman
go back to bios and go to hard disk option select the control as ahci and the boot. ...................................

Last edited by a moderator:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
in your bios settings see if there is some hdd S.M.A.R.T. setting.if yes then enable it.you mentioned i/o error which usually means failing hdd.

also there are laptops with multiple uefi boot device settings.i have seen & install windows 7 64bit on such laptop.same device is shown as normal & uefi device(written in bracket in front) when booting & UEFI device always has a higher boot priority.

OP
flyingcow

flyingcow

Shibe
in your bios settings see if there is some hdd S.M.A.R.T. setting.if yes then enable it.you mentioned i/o error which usually means failing hdd.

also there are laptops with multiple uefi boot device settings.i have seen & install windows 7 64bit on such laptop.same device is shown as normal & uefi device(written in bracket in front) when booting & UEFI device always has a higher boot priority.

yes yes there is a 'smart' option :hyper:

ill enable it, and about the io error, does it mean i have to send it back to flipkart? :'(

thank you very much, hope it works :)

go back to bios and go to hard disk option select the control as ahci and the boot. If this does not work throw your pc out of the window.

i have selected the ahci during 2-3 installs. didnt work :(

please dont say like that i recently bought it :cry::sad::-(

and how can i connect my old sata hdd (with vista) and use it to boot. is it possilble? i tried but got bsod for a millisecond after vista startup logo and it restarts, then split second bsod, keeps happening, please help

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^Did you disconnected your new HDD when you connected your vista HDD ? If yes, I believe, this UEFI is root cause of all problems. Your earlier errors point out to bad HDD, IMO. Couple of days my friend bought a new laptop and that damn UEFI didn't let me boot from any pen drive. :/ (until when I changed to legacy)

OP
flyingcow

flyingcow

Shibe
^Did you disconnected your new HDD when you connected your vista HDD ? If yes, I believe, this UEFI is root cause of all problems. Your earlier errors point out to bad HDD, IMO. Couple of days my friend bought a new laptop and that damn UEFI didn't let me boot from any pen drive. :/ (until when I changed to legacy)

i dont remember correctly but im sure it was disconnected, should i connect both drives to boot from vista installed hdd?

i will try installing by disabling uefi, ^ did you get an error saying windows could not partition etc?

update- i tried installing xp, but after it was setting up files for installation, i get a blue screen saying,(something similar to this)-

your comp has been shut down to prevent it from damage,

it said to scan hdd for viruses, and it may be corrupted, it also said to run chkdsk /f, remove any other hdd.

i restarted, i pressed f2 to go into bios but couldnt see my hdd there in boot priority, sata cables were plugged properly and disk was spinning too.

should i send it back to FK.??

im buying new temp hdd today.

please help. urgent, cant enjy my pc :( :cry:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^Since your first (new) HDD is under suspect, you'll have of course have to try another disk by disconnecting the prior.

should i connect both drives to boot from vista installed hdd?

No, as said above.

update- i tried installing xp, but after it was setting up files for installation, i get a blue screen saying,(something similar to this)-

IIRC, this happens when SATA mode is set to legacy. Check if it is AHCI. And was this on new HDD or older one ?

If it was on newer with all settings as correct, then time to ping FK.

OP
flyingcow

flyingcow

Shibe
IIRC, this happens when SATA mode is set to legacy. Check if it is AHCI. And was this on new HDD or older one ?

If it was on newer with all settings as correct, then time to ping FK.

does setting on legacy mean setting on ide?
im pretty sure i tried setting on both. i havent disabled uefi from bios yet, does it affect xp install too? if yes, i will try.

thank you for helping.

p.s.- offtopic, do i have to pack hdd myself and post it or fk logistics will do it?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
does setting on legacy mean setting on ide?

Yes. For older PATA drives.

im pretty sure i tried setting on both. i havent disabled uefi from bios yet, does it affect xp install too? if yes, i will try.

I guess yes, haven't tried with XP, but with 7, yes. Most chances are you will settle with UEFI off.

p.s.- offtopic, do i have to pack hdd myself and post it or fk logistics will do it?

Most chances are for latter, but call FK CC as what's their policy regarding this.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@dashing.sujay,UEFI only supports booting from FAT32 flash drives & windows 7 usb tools format drive in ntfs so it can not be used as bootable drive in UEFI mode.only way to do this is by formatting the pen drive in fat32,make it active bootable device using commands & then copy all the files from windows 7 dvd/image to pen drive.

OP
flyingcow

flyingcow

Shibe
yay good news, i called fk for replacement (didnt try the uefi option sorry :( ) but i bought a 500gb hdd temporarily. and installed windows 7 normally. installed drivers etc too B| installing skyrim noe :hyper:

thank you all for helping :) :bananana::bananana:

but im getting only 36 fps in furmark hrlp please

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^Congrats. :)

@dashing.sujay,UEFI only supports booting from FAT32 flash drives & windows 7 usb tools format drive in ntfs so it can not be used as bootable drive in UEFI mode.only way to do this is by formatting the pen drive in fat32,make it active bootable device using commands & then copy all the files from windows 7 dvd/image to pen drive.

Nope, I tried booting through a FAT32 pen drive containing a rescue kit, and the laptop simply refused it until I changed to legacy.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
maybe that was the reason.UEFI boot is not designed like legacy bios & needs a special UEFI boot file in the media from which you are trying to boot & perhaps your rescue media was missing it.you need to look specifically for UEFI boot support in rescue kit documentation as even gparted started fully supporting UEFI boot & GPT only recently.

Top Bottom