Windows Based Ubuntu Installer

Status
Not open for further replies.

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
We have a development version of a Windows based installer for Ubuntu which is designed to be:
  • very simple to use
  • provide a no-risk installation
  • no repartitioning the hard disk
  • no changing the windows boot loader
  • Easy uninstallation.
  • Low risk
  • Doesn't use a virtual machine
  • Doesn't significantly reduce performance of the resulting installation
  • Resulting installation supports everything a normal install does.
  • Fast install

Source: *www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=338279

Screenshot:

*omattos.co.uk/ubuntuscreens/4.JPG

The aim of this installer is to provide an easier way for a Windows user to install Ubuntu without having to know how to burn a cd iso, set the bios to boot from cd, repartition the disks, set up a multiboot system, etc. It will not replace any of the current Ubuntu installation options, and will not require that windows is installed prior to the installation of Ubuntu.

The installer works by creating a disk image of a pre-installed ubuntu system on the hard disk (downloaded with a bittorrent downloader integrated into the installer, or a standard http download when we find mirrors), and then installing GRUB for windows, which can be chain loaded by the existing boot loader, and which then loads the linux kerner and initrd from the ntfs partition. The initrd is modified to support mounting the image file mentioned above as a root file system, and then continuing the boot process like a normal installation.

This does not use a virtual machine to run linux on, so the performance of the resulting system will be similar to the performance of any other linux installation. The system will use ext3 in the image file, so users will get all the benefits of a linux filesystem.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I just don't see the need for it. Why do we need it? We already have GUI installer. They should work on making it better for now.

OP
N

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
There are still many users who are apprehensive with using normal installer and selecting correct installing option while booting. Since this installer does not mess much with Windows systems...it would definitely help newbies to install Ubuntu with ease.

mehulved

navjotjsingh said:
There are still many users who are apprehensive with using normal installer and selecting correct installing option while booting. Since this installer does not mess much with Windows systems...it would definitely help newbies to install Ubuntu with ease.
Is there anything that's different? I can't try this out cos I don't have Windows installed, to try this on.
If a person can install windows, I don't see how is installing ubuntu more difficult? I have never seen anything in Ubuntu that's more difficult than in installing windows.

Pathik

Google Bot
installing most oses is easy... to use it is tough... and using ubuntu w/o a proper net connection is hell... :(

praka123

left this forum longback
We have a development version of a Windows based installer for Ubuntu
That was the wisest thing any Linux Company do to get the Windows users out of the WinBox!.Kudos!
if windows users are not coming to understand the virtues of free software,then go to Windows itself and change their OS:eek:

As windows users tends to have the habit of looking for .exe externsions files and will double click!:D.I believe many other Linux distros will also put such installers for Linux migration from windows itself.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
tech_your_future said:
If a person can install windows, I don't see how is installing ubuntu more difficult? I have never seen anything in Ubuntu that's more difficult than in installing windows.

Do all people install windows themselves??
did u forget the so called hardware engineers
they do all the stuff like installing windows,office,etc

shankar_ganesh

Journeyman
praka123 said:
That was the wisest thing any Linux Company do to get the Windows users out of the WinBox!.Kudos!
if windows users are not coming to understand the virtues of free software,then go to Windows itself and change their OS
^^^Agreed.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
tech_your_future said:
I just don't see the need for it. Why do we need it? We already have GUI installer. They should work on making it better for now.

That is typical thinking of someone proficient in computers. Computers and notebooks usually come pre-loaded with Windows XP which serve all the purposes a normal PC user needs. Linux is more of a 'hype' or 'fad' for such users and no one wants to run around multiple hoops (change bios options, boot from cd, search sound drivers, repartition hard disk, change default OS) just to try out something new. This idea is great as it would remove all these roadblocks and apprehensions to install Linux on their system. If we had to run a hundred hoops to install Mozilla Firefox we won't have had all those FF users who make a 4% share.

mehulved

Aberforth said:
That is typical thinking of someone proficient in computers.
I am not proficient with linux or windows let alone computers.
Aberforth said:
Computers and notebooks usually come pre-loaded with Windows XP which serve all the purposes a normal PC user needs. Linux is more of a 'hype' or 'fad' for such users and no one wants to run around multiple hoops (change bios options, boot from cd, search sound drivers, repartition hard disk, change default OS) just to try out something new.
These same users don't mind going through those multiple hoops to reinstall windows when needed.
Aberforth said:
This idea is great as it would remove all these roadblocks and apprehensions to install Linux on their system.
Most people are apprehensive of the word Linux cos for them WIndows and computers are inter-exchangeable terms. So, apprehension is not so much from the process of going through all this as much as it is from the 'unknown' OS. But, quite thankfully it's changing now. Quite a lot of people are being aware that there are other OS'es out there and unlike what their teachers say, linux does have GUI.
And it isn't just Linux, but a person who knows computers a lot better than me and has done so many courses on computers asked me whether FreeBSD has GUI. That's where the problem stems. People think it's only windows that has GUI, and they're apprehensive to try other OS'es.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom