Windows 8.... What do you think ?

Upgrading to Windows 8 ?

• Yes, For Sure !

Votes: 39 33.3%
  • No, Never Win 7 Is Still Best !

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • Maybe, I'll Give Final Decision on Oct 26 !

Votes: 44 37.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

audiophilic

Journeyman
Seriously speaking guys, why is microsoft thinking backwards with their icons? They have started making some pathetic user interface and icons. On the other hand, look at OS X Mountain Lion. While one is heading towards mars, the other one is going to the days when bicycles weren't invented yet. Microsoft i think needs another bill gates hehe. :-D

hdknitro

bringing the world down
Windows 8 is a revolutionary product for Microsoft and on a PC it behaves quite good but I would like to ask microsoft why not leave the tile interface for touch based version of the OS only and let the PC consumer suffice with the desktop mode. That would make things much simpler to understand for new and old users as well. I know they want to compete with the evergrowing Apple but even Apple have two differnt OS's for their two different product lines. Maybe Microsoft should work a little hard and not let people rant about it when they release their final product.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Windows 8 is a revolutionary product for Microsoft and on a PC it behaves quite good but I would like to ask microsoft why not leave the tile interface for touch based version of the OS only and let the PC consumer suffice with the desktop mode. That would make things much simpler to understand for new and old users as well. I know they want to compete with the evergrowing Apple but even Apple have two differnt OS's for their two different product lines. Maybe Microsoft should work a little hard and not let people rant about it when they release their final product.

completely agree with this.

amjath

Human Spambot

IMO there ll be a update after the feedback from users who have upgraded to/bought Windows 8 to switch between metro and basic desktop mode.

comrade

foreign return(0)
did anyone know how to shutdown win8 in two clicks by stock.
on win 7 I click start -> shutdown
on win 8 I press win+c -> settings -> power -> shutdown. = two keypress + 3 mouse clicks.
Do we have any better way of doing this on win8?

OP
Abhishek_Z

Abhishek_Z

Journeyman
on win 8 I press win+c -> settings -> power -> shutdown. = two keypress + 3 mouse clicks.

Is that going to burn your calories or :\

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

press windows key to go into desktop mode - press Alt+F4 and make sure shutdown is selected - just press enter ;-)

batman

Broken In
I am not able to use bluetooth in my laptop with Windows 8 RTM..I have downloaded the necessary drivers,but I cant install them because Device manager does not recognize the adapter.Any solution for this?.Bluetooth is working fine in my vista.So I can confirm that there are no hardware issues.

comrade

foreign return(0)
Is that going to burn your calories or :\
if i want to burn some calories I'd use linux and not windows. windows is all abt user friendlierness and I bet anyone who use windows 8 will struggle to get their m/c shutdown bcoz of no direct option to do that.
The option is completely hidden and cannot be directly invoked.

press windows key to go into desktop mode - press Alt+F4 and make sure shutdown is selected - just press enter
much better. Thanks for the tip :wink:

Jitendra Singh

Broken In
It's nice, applications looks way awe-inspiring than any previous versions, but still it's hard to say whether it's advisable to upgrade Windows 8 over 7 or not.
However, i would love to upgrade it if its more easy access than Windows 7 since, its trial versions are already out and they are pretty good!

comrade

foreign return(0)
You can use this method for easier shutdown in windows 8

Shut down Windows 8 faster

oh..that's exactly have done on my pc..infact created 3 shortcuts for restart/hibernate & now shutdown.
Btw, another way of doing so - Shutdown Win 8 | Surface Soft

win8 convinced me with its boot speed and performance but is causing lot of annoyances like this..install app for startmenu, install app for shutdown...not sure how many such apps are going to be developed to bring the basic os functionalities. :evil::twisted:

Theodre

In the zone
That is rude :) But thinking that it is all that the microsoft is mainly Standing for it should be checked out :) Everyone have time till the feb 2013!!! It's not a big deal as it's only Rs 800/- If you are eligible for that scheme!!! I have registered it yesterday!!! Waiting to get a mail from the Microsoft!!! ;)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
check this out :
Poor pre-launch showing plagues Windows 8 | PCWorld
and two more ;-)
*www.informationweek.com/byte/perso...ws-fits-in-on-the-mac-with-parallel/240007798
*gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/news/mic...gned-msn-for-windows-8-news-operations-274961

Flash

Lost in speed
oh..that's exactly have done on my pc..infact created 3 shortcuts for restart/hibernate & now shutdown.
Btw, another way of doing so - Shutdown Win 8 | Surface Soft

win8 convinced me with its boot speed and performance but is causing lot of annoyances like this..install app for startmenu, install app for shutdown...not sure how many such apps are going to be developed to bring the basic os functionalities. :evil::twisted:

Correct. Success of a product is determined by "How easy a product makes to simplify a complex process, not the other way around".

My ACM Student membership apparently gives me a free dreamspark premium account from what I found out from a mailer today at around 1AM. And it seems Windows 8 Professional 64bit RTM is already out on DS. I applied for my account, got it approved today evening and proceeded to do the juggad required to download the ISO and the 3GB download is currently at around 2% (am on a 4mbps line so will take 2-3 more hours to finish). Will do a trial run and see how the OS fares, once I manage to get a system to install it on... This is going to be the first time in 5 years that I'll be using Windows so hopefully things shall work out. I'm doing this with an open mind this time :D

OP
Abhishek_Z

Abhishek_Z

Journeyman
Good news....
I/O Bit has released a software for Win 8 to bring back its Start screen. Download it now.
Now I think that some people will come in favor of Win 8.
Download it now.

reniarahim1

Youngling
Its working. few bugs like clicking the right most part of the task bar still take you to metro start screen, window logo gets cut in between for small task bar, no user image, clicking user image does nothing.
More over i hate the send feedback under the user image.

Hope MS will enable the switch between metro and normal start menu natively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom