Windows 7 still needs anti-virus, susceptible to 8 out of 10 viruses

Status
Not open for further replies.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
During the launch of the new Windows 7, Microsoft had a lot to say about the safety features it offered, and especially protection from viruses and malware. While it was always meant to be taken with a pinch of salt, the guys at security firm Sophos decided to put the operating system to the test.
Chester Wisniewski of Sophos writes that they loaded up a machine with a fresh version of Windows 7, and left all the User Account Control options at default. Then, they grabbed the next 10 unique ...

To read the full news article, click here

This is the stupidest thing to do, and then read, and then post about. Any system, software if purposely attacked will/can be breached. Come on man, event the US DoD and NASA and our own DRDO has been hacked. Does that mean, our government stops using them. And what is Sophos not even heard of it. I never heard AVG, Norton, Samentec trying something like this. So lame. Even if they do, they do it to enhance their product -- and not bad-name another company.

Its like me testing Coke/Pepsi for toxins, finding them and publishing them. And noobs like you posting about it. Wonder why M$ still hold such a high market share for OS. We all are dumb right...?

hmm well its windows .No need to get disheartenend .I'm using antivirus .So, whats a big deal .

Yea, of course. That is what one needs to do. :)

If you want an OS that doesnt need AV, use linux.

Ya right. It is not 100% safe. And miss out on this excellent OS. Its like saying, I want a house, where no dust and particles cannot come in. Highly unlikely.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I've been using windows vista x64 edition without AV! along with open suse 11 in dual boot around 1 year now without any virus infection.

I have been using Windows (installed with antivir and comodo firewall) without any infections for years too. But the point remains that I have to be on my toes when using Windows. And whenever I have the choice then I prefer Linux for my daily tasks and surfing internet. I can always boot into windows when I feel like playing some window specific games.

As for softwares, there are many in Linux. I really like the exhaustive details about any activity going on in my PC e.g. iftop, iotop, iostat, nload, nmap, bwmon, vnstat, ntop etc.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ To all those who thinks linux could not be infected :p

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware
*help.ubuntu.com/community/Linuxvirus

That is because linux is used as servers and the client computers may have Windows. Antivirus in Linux are there because they detect and delete/disinfect Windows viruses.

You mean to say that the server computer only has Anti-virus to scan it's windows client pc ?

But many linux desktop users use anti virus for linux to keep secure their their linux OS.

There are many programs for Linux too. And yes, too many of them.

Yup, I know that but count it right the number of windows app will out number linux apps anyday.

That's why you will see apps like wine and cross-over was meant to run windows apps on linux :p

so be the real reason behind. But I am happy with my PC having no infections and I'm happy with it.

Getting back to the topic, that is a very lame step from Sophos. I think they were unable to find a total of 10 viruses that could infect Win 7, so they settled with 8.

Yup, it's the real reason for hordes windows viruses. It's usage rate is just too high so it's virus rate is also :p

If you want an OS that doesnt need AV, use linux.

That's not true. Every OS in the world can be infected or breached even if it's a custom made linux or even windows.

I have been using Windows (installed with antivir and comodo firewall) without any infections for years too. But the point remains that I have to be on my toes when using Windows. And whenever I have the choice then I prefer Linux for my daily tasks and surfing internet. I can always boot into windows when I feel like playing some window specific games.

Yup, if you are using windows with some internet connection from local lan provider than you should be very careful.

Most viruses were written for windows so you will see most of them will attack windows but it can be prevented also. Use legitimate apps. Download softs from trusted sites. Use browsers like FF or opera whch does not uses activex.

Windows offer most easy way to use a software for example in linux you have download apps say a dvd player app or it's required codec through app get. It will download and install al necessary components but if you will re-install linux at some time later you will loose all those and have to re download. But in windows you will download most app as a single package and most of the time they conytains all required files. Just double click and install them. You can store the app package for later usage too :p

But it's the most popular way for viruses to infect windows. They attach themselves to the executable files and infects pc's when those files are executed but though this little drawback exists I would prefer the windows ease of software installation anyday.

But if the security configuration of a linux box is not sert up correctly it can be easily hacked and that's why you will see most linux servers were hacked rather than infected.

As for softwares, there are many in Linux. I really like the exhaustive details about any activity going on in my PC e.g. iftop, iotop, iostat, nload, nmap, bwmon, vnstat, ntop etc.

Yup, I know that but count it right the number of windows app will out number linux apps anyday.

That's why you will see apps like wine and cross-over was meant to run windows apps on linux :p

And for details of processes in windows there are also some great tools like process explore, regmon, filemon, process monitor etc.

Krow

Crowman
Windows offer most easy way to use a software for example in linux you have download apps say a dvd player app or it's required codec through app get. It will download and install al necessary components but if you will re-install linux at some time later you will loose all those and have to re download. But in windows you will download most app as a single package and most of the time they conytains all required files. Just double click and install them. You can store the app package for later usage too :p
Now whatever you said till now was reasonable, if not completely agreeable upon. This is not true at all. It seems you have not heard of/used Linux Mint. All codecs can be played out of the box. Besides, if you obtain the DVD Distro versions, then it comes with the entire repository, so no need to apt-get from the internet. How many Windows versions since XP came in a single CD version? Extremely few, if any. Linux on the other hand has CD distros for all versions. So its lightweight and you custom install whatever you want to. You can simply download the repository from the official website, burn it to a DVD and then use the DVD as repo. For storage you can make an ISO of the repo. Installation is as simple on both Windows and Linux. Those who claim otherwise will meet with disagreement from my side. :D
But it's the most popular way for viruses to infect windows. They attach themselves to the executable files and infects pc's when those files are executed but though this little drawback exists I would prefer the windows ease of software installation anyday.
I repeat, installing software is as easy in both. No need to worry. Since people use windows from the time they are infants, many claim that double click and install is easier. Ask the same question to someone using Linux from childhood and they would say that installing from repo is so much easier. What you said qualifies as true if you say that is your personal opinion only. You cannot make a generalised assumption about it being true always. :)

Nithu

I'm in 3D Grafix world!!!
It'll be amazing if Windows 7 comes with Microsoft Security Essentials...
I think Windows Defender is useless...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ Krow - Yup, linux offers loads of softs to be installed as compared with windows which only installs the basic minimal OS. But different distros comes with different package management. So the ease of installation in linux does not applies to all distros.

But for windows the double click installation is true accords all versions from 98-7 ( ditching previous versions ).

So, If you are going to use linux then you have to carefully pick a particular distro for your need :p

Frankly speaking - I've used Linux mint for one night only maybe on oct 2007:p

Yup, I heard of it that it comes with many codecs bundled.

I've used open fedora and open suse and all of them was based on rpm package management but not deb packages and it was real pain to configure fedora to use the disc as repository source. So I thought this the case with other linux distros also. But as you are saying app installation is so easy in mint I should give it a try without typing much :p

- all comments are personal :p

BTW, I will not discuss this futher as it is going too much off topic :p

satyamy

Alive Again...
It'll be amazing if Windows 7 comes with Microsoft Security Essentials...
I think Windows Defender is useless...
yes Windows Defender is Useless :cry:
I use KIS and it get disable :)
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
Give it a shot. Go for Linux Mint 8 Helena released 2 days ago.

offtopic : how many crows are their in city or how many release of linux are their ??? :???:

i already used/trailed 10-12 versions but everyday it comes up with new version :oops:

Last edited:

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@ Krow - Yup, linux offers loads of softs to be installed as compared with windows which only installs the basic minimal OS. But different distros comes with different package management. So the ease of installation in linux does not applies to all distros.

But for windows the double click installation is true accords all versions from 98-7 ( ditching previous versions ).

So, If you are going to use linux then you have to carefully pick a particular distro for your need :p

Frankly speaking - I've used Linux mint for one night only maybe on oct 2007:p

Yup, I heard of it that it comes with many codecs bundled.

I've used open fedora and open suse and all of them was based on rpm package management but not deb packages and it was real pain to configure fedora to use the disc as repository source. So I thought this the case with other linux distros also. But as you are saying app installation is so easy in mint I should give it a try without typing much :p

- all comments are personal :p

BTW, I will not discuss this futher as it is going too much off topic :p

A newbie can install softwares under Linux via Software Centre under ubuntu & other graphical managers in other Linux OS.
Posted again:
offtopic : how many crows are their in city or how many release of linux are their ??? :???:

i already used/trailed 10-12 versions but everyday it comes up with new version :oops:

Linux has a fairly fast development cycles. New releases are dished out twice in an year for most of the common distros like Fedora, Ubuntu etc. Then for the adventurous, you have Alpha, Beta & RC releases. Keeping up with the pace can get though at times but you're guaranteed to get a strong distro most of the times with the new release.

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman

Who asked you to use 10-12 distros? :-? Find one which suits you best, and use it. Follow its upgrade cycle if you are interested in any new features. Simple.

There are about a million and a half of my clan of KDE loving crows in the city. But then there are about 22 million of the Gnome lovers too. :twisted: I <3 Linux Mint too.

satyamy

Alive Again...
Who asked you to use 10-12 distros? :-? Find one which suits you best, and use it. Follow its upgrade cycle if you are interested in any new features. Simple.
nobody asked me
i was just testing for Fun and some new knowledge :oops:
till date i m comfortable only with windows :-o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom