Windows 7 is stealing my HDD space!! WTH?

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I really am frustrated about this now. The Windows 7 is installed on /C drive, and the space of that partition is decreasing gradually, now it's below 1 GB. I don't install anything on this drive ever, yes, some shared files go there but they are very few. I have already done many 'disk cleanups' but now doing that doesn't do any good anymore.
I think the Windows updates are the culprit, and they happen so frequently. Damn....I hate it. Could anything be done? Can i move the Windows files onto other partitions or what should i do to increase the space?? :oops:

*img16.imageshack.us/img16/8561/55621994.jpg

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Turn off System Restore in Windows 7 - that should clean up some space.

Then Windows' regular Disk Clean Up on C: to remove temporary files and system dumps. Everything.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Delete automatically created system restore points periodically.
But only 37GB drive for storing the OS & all the installed files? :shock:

josin

In the zone

use this COMODO System Utilities 4.0 Released!!!

or

TuneUp Utilities 2012 | Speed Up and Optimize Your PC

or this
Download CCleaner 3.20.1750 - FileHippo.com

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
Exactly. I was having the same problem with my laptop. I Used a tool called TreeSize Professional to find out which folders were taking the most space.
Turned out there is a folder in Windows 7 named "Winsxs" . This folder keeps incremental updates from windows stored and eats up a bunch of space.

The longer your OS has been on the machine, more is the space consumed by this folder.

I did lot of googling , and there's only 1 way to basically free up some space here. All the updates Prior to Windows 7 SP1 , are basically redundant. Make your SP1 update the permanent once, and get rid of the updates prior to that ( called RTMs ? ) ... as SP1 already has these. This will make SP1 permanent in your machine.

The command to do that is

dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded /hidesp

Read more on this from Win7 Inside Out – WinSxS | out-web.net
How to Alleviate Disk Space Pressure Caused By a Large Windows Component Store (WinSxS) Directory

Last edited:
OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
@All: Thanks a lot.

I think it's enough for Windows and some other shared files!
Are you sure none of your Download Folders are in C:? My Documents / Desktop
Nope. Not a single download folder is in /C.
Turn off Hibernation also takes about 2GB in your C drive.
It's already off.

Update:
Okay, I have deleted System Restore points and also turned it off. But that increases the space by 100 MB only.
Now i am gonna try to delete the updates!

@Thor: You are absolutely right. It's the same damn folder which is major culprit i think. The size of 'winsxs' folder is 8.00 GB here! There are 11k odd files under that. Now how do i find the old updates in that mess and delete them? Or only inputting that command will do the job?

Thanks in advance.

Gauravs90

geek........
Here is the tool spacesniffer. This is a vary basic tool ehich help you to analyze where your disk space is going.

*dl.dropbox.com/u/64595407/SpaceSniffer.exe

Regarding WinSxS folder:

As mentioned, Windows stores the old dll’s and library components in the WinSxS folder. Now if a newer version of this file is a part of the OS, but a particular application requires a particular older version for running, then the older version from the winsxs folder will be used, leaving the newer version in its present place, for other applications which may require it.

So obviously you cannot delete this directory or move it elsewhere. Nor is it advisable to delete anything here, as such a step could probably make your applications un-workable or even break your system! If you have many applications installed, you can expect to have a jumbo sized winsxs folder.

If you delete components from the WinSxS folder like the manifets or the assemblies, etc, you could be in trouble. Each system would react differently. What may work for one could break another! For instance, if you install a program that requires that particular assembly, which you may have deleted, then that program will just not run! Compressing the folder is also a no-no, as it could cause problems during WindowsUpdates or while installing a Hotfix.

The safest way to clean it, is by simply uninstalling applications which you don’t require. However, this too is not fool proof, as many applications still leave behind their files here, since they may be shared between other applications. So the probability of dud unused dll’s being left behind is quite high.

We would not advice the use of WinSxS cleanup tools like WinsxsLite as you could end up breaking your Windows.

And if you are into trying out new software or installing and uninstalling frequently, you may notice that your winsxs size is indeed large, as Windows will store multiple copies of these dll files, in order to let multiple applications without compatibility problem.

Source

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Thanks Gaurav.
But frankly that official comment looks too professional imo. The Windows Updates happen too often, which i hate and I've downloaded them all. That's why i am thinking of switching to Mac for working purpose. And i keep a very good eye to what things i am installing. I have maximum of 15-20 software, if not less, installed. And i never install any software which i don't need. Even when i download a small video temporarily to desktop, just after watching it i move it to elsewhere, as i said, i am very picky about things which are there in my HDD.

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
@Thor: You are absolutely right. It's the same damn folder which is major culprit i think. The size of 'winsxs' folder is 8.00 GB here! There are 11k odd files under that. Now how do i find the old updates in that mess and delete them? Or only inputting that command will do the job?

Thanks in advance.

Great ! Now that we have the cause , we can get rid of the symptom! As they say it! :cool:

Yes, I have personally gone ahead and tried the command in the command prompt. Nothings broken @ my end. I got some space back and life's bit easier for this.

Also other cause of my space issues was...

I have an Ipad2 , my itunes likes to sync everything back to my C Drive ... idiot. So every app , book , or music i copied to my ipad was also put back in my c drive. I Delete this backup folder now and then and it keeps my cdrive trim and happy.

Another space hog for me was , Microsoft Outlook ,, I had it configured to read office e-mails. But the data file in the local keeps getting bigger....

I purge it every week now.

I always try to keep an eye on the C:\Users\[UserName]\ folder , as it shouldnt become too big.... if it does ... some program is surely misusing it!

Oh yes, and before I forget . I moved my MyDocuments folder to another drive .... that way ... small files over the time which tend to accumulate in the docs folder also dont take your precious c drive space...

Thats all there to it!!

Hope you get back some precious GBs back , and let us know how you fare!! :)

Gauravs90

geek........
Why not give some more to the system partition, you are like my father who like to delete everything which is not needed. Everything is there for a reason.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
@Gaurav- Haha, that's so true.
But how do i do that? Adding some space to system partition?

@Thor- I have done what you said (copy-pasted that command) but it didn't increase a single bit of space on my side!
Here is the Command prompt screenie, weird, it said that 'can't proceed: No service pack backup files were found'

*img526.imageshack.us/img526/267/win7zs.jpg

Last edited:

jaysatish

I think, therefore I am.
Apart from what people have already suggested/recommended above, try moving or spreading your Virtual Memory allocations to several partitions or simply assign them to a partition that has more space.

——> System > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Performance Options > Advanced > Virtual Memory > Change the allocations as you require.

One other thing comes to mind, scan your PC for Worms. They're hidden; they replicate and fill up your storage space real quick.

EDIT: My Virtual Memory allocation is at 26 GB and I have twice your RAM. It's very likely that your allocation is set at about 13 GB.

Last edited:

y2j826

Journeyman
Disable Indexing Service, it wastes lot of space on C drive when you know you don't need to search any file on C drive...

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Apart from what people have already suggested/recommended above, try moving or spreading your Virtual Memory allocations to several partitions or simply assign them to a partition that has more space.

——> System > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Performance Options > Advanced > Virtual Memory > Change the allocations as you require.

One other thing comes to mind, scan your PC for Worms. They're hidden; they replicate and fill up your storage space real quick.

EDIT: My Virtual Memory allocation is at 26 GB and I have twice your RAM. It's very likely that your allocation is set at about 13 GB.
My Paging file for C drive is set to 1024 MB.
Disable Indexing Service, it wastes lot of space on C drive when you know you don't need to search any file on C drive...
That didn't increase any space.
Just another Win 7 update popped up today, and now the space is below 700 MB, brilliant Windows nonsense. They expect everybody to have a 2 TB drive!!

Btw- Can i add some space from other drives? The XP drive has 13 GB free, which isn't needed. So can i transfer some space to C drive from that drive?

y2j826

Journeyman
At least it did for me, I was on low space and then disabled index service and around 2 GB of space freed up...

reniarahim1

Youngling
took a risk and ran dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded /hidesp command.
freed up around 800 mb. now i am scared to restart :S

Top Bottom