Windows 7 BOOTMGR #%$#@%

Sujeet

Undead!!!
By mistake i changed the active partiton on my Windows 7 Enterprise 32Bit PC.
Now the boot up shows BOOTMGR missing error.
I tried remarking the C: drive as active using command prompt using Win 7 disc but that didnt solve the problem.
The automatic Windows Installation Detection Utiliy that shoots up before the menu options when Repair Windows Is Clicked from Installation Menu of Win7 Disc fails to detect any drive with Win 7 installation.
I am completely fed up of it And this is driving me extremely crazy Please Help.:pullhair:
No Need For External Links Please.(Tried most of googles search results ,so probaly i would have already tried the one you are gonna post)
Dont post "Maybe" kind of solutions ...i dont want my system to be messed up further!

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Expect "may be" kind of answers because no one knows how your hard drive is partitioned.

Download Gparted Live. Burn a CD/USB stick and get us a screenshot and try assigning "boot" flag to the previous partition through Gparted. (column on extreme right)

*i.imgur.com/qdcfX.jpg

OP
Sujeet

Sujeet

Undead!!!
i already have gparted Live CD.
wait tilll i post the screenshot.
However how is the order of my hardrive partiton has anything to do with this problem.
I mean i just changed the active partiton and remarked the c drive as active using command prompt ...succesfully but still it refuses to reboot.

Why aint that crap win7 os detection utility not detecting my os.
I Dont have multi boot setup.!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
drive letters may not be the same in different environments.when you used command prompt did you check it was indeed the C drive by running dir command.windows always assign letter C to active partition so obviously it can not be assigned to a drive which is not active(in your case the real C drive).most probably it was assigned letter D & what you did was of no use because C drive is already marked as active just not the real C drive.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
drive letters may not be the same in different environments.when you used command prompt did you check it was indeed the C drive by running dir command.windows always assign letter C to active partition so obviously it can not be assigned to a drive which is not active(in your case the real C drive).most probably it was assigned letter D & what you did was of no use because C drive is already marked as active just not the real C drive.
well, another reason why Windows sucks.

In *nix, devices have fixed names.

pramudit

Gaming hardcore
try using windows repair disc or windows installation disc.... it worked for my case when i manipulated my boot registry with FreeBCD.....

OP
Sujeet

Sujeet

Undead!!!

Yeah thats the real prob.

But still
i ddint use drive letters to mark my system drive as active.
I used list disk and list partition tools of diskpart to identify my drive..using capacity ..my c drive was of 97 gb.
In command prompt it was listed on 2nd place
Partition 1 97gb.
I used select partition 1 -> active :Commands to achieve that so no point of confusion with drive letters as youre sayin....

try using windows repair disc or windows installation disc.... it worked for my case when i manipulated my boot registry with FreeBCD.....
As is said :
I am already using Windows Installation Disc To deal with the prob:
Windows Recovery Tool is not able to detect my windows installation on my c drive;
So Automatic system recovery cant be used.

Therefore iam left with one last option of CMD and i have tried that one too as i stated earlier.

CA50

Cyborg Agent
have you tried booting from the Windows installation disc, and from cmd prompt type: fixboot

OP
Sujeet

Sujeet

Undead!!!
have you tried booting from the Windows installation disc, and from cmd prompt type: fixboot

yeah man.
Not only that i have also tried following
1.bootrec.exe/fixmbr...fixed boot sector:-x
2.bootrec.exe/fixboot......fixed master boot record:-x
3.boootrec.exe/chkdsk....checked c drive for errors..all from cmd.

No result.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
after selecting c drive using select partition command run list volume.active partition drive will have an asterisk in front of it & info column has boot entry.check that this is your real C drive.if it is then navigate to it using cmd & run dir command to check presence of autoexec.bat & config.sys

*img205.imageshack.us/img205/8409/diskpart.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

Neuron

Electronic.
@Sujeet:I might have fix for you.Boot from Windows 7 installation disc.Press shift+F10 during the graphical phase to get a cmd window.
Change the directory to DVDDRIVE_LETTER:\boot\
Enter bootsect /nt60 c: /mbr
Don't forget to replace c: with the drive in which win7 is installed.That should fix it.

OP
Sujeet

Sujeet

Undead!!!
@ico and @doomgiver
I checked with gPARTED
the boot flag is hosted on right partition.
As far as screenshot is concerned i sucessfuly captured one and it got saved to directory .../home/user/gparted.jpeg .
I have version 0.1..0-3.........
But unable to get it to my flash drive.!!!!

Okay one more thing

I am booting into all the OSs being referred here using HP GB USB Flash drive ...eg...Win 7,Gparted.

So please specify any special instructions in that case...... although most of them pre-understood
.i mean in above post DVDDRIVE_LETTER will be replaced by USB_LETTER.etc

No need to mention these.

@neruon and @whitestar
I am on it...will be posting about results soon...

ok
Now here i am to thank all the people for replying in here.
Thanks neuron and whitestar i combined your tips and got my system back to life.

Problem Solved.

Last edited:
Top Bottom