I just got my new pc yesterday. The confis is as follows:
i3 2100@3.1Ghz
Intel DH61WW
Seagate 500gb sata
corsair 2*2gb DDR3
Sapphire HD5670 1GB GDDR5
Corsair CX500 500W

I had a few doubts.

I've heard that 32 bit windows will not utilise my whole 4gb or ram . is it so??
Also if i go for 64-bit, i know some programs like cisco packet tracer etc that do not work with 64-bit windows!!
I'd like to know the pros and cons of 64 bit and 32 bit.
I'm going to use Windows 7 Ultimate edition. I prefer 32 bit(if possible)

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
32 bit= Max 4 GB but 3.25 GB will be used
Pros and Cons-
Only one, 64 bit= more than 4GB RAM

Learn the detailed diffference here-

*windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

Last edited:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Ya, 32bit is not going to utilize whole 4GB RAM. So go for 64bit. And as far I know there is something like WOW(Windows On Windows) emulator, which helps to run 32bit programs easily. Not sure, wait for some time for others to confirm.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
No problem :)

Just back up all data(songs,videos,docs, all other important files) before formatting to avoid a post shock intallation

Cool Comps

Pirate Slayer
guys whats the price of win 7 home premium in kolkata and delhi?
btw if i buy the cd, it will contain both 32 bit and 64 bit versions right?
I will have to choose one of the versions during installation.
Right?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Windows 7 Home Premium costs Rs.6.5k

see the link-
Windows 7 Home Premium, Buy Windows 7 Home Premium Online in India

Cool Comps

Pirate Slayer
guys i had 64 bit and had a few compatibility issues. After a little advice from someone i have decided that i am going to revert to good old 32 bit. After a year or so ( after my board exams are over :p ) I am going to dual boot with win 7 64 bit and win xp 32 bit. I will also have time to research. That should solve all compatibility problems.

After all i have exactly 4 gb ram and so there are nt many cons to using 32 bit OS ( except that a bit of my 4gb ram will be unused.) . Thats ok with me as i will go to 64 bit software later. There is no problem in formatting and then installing 64 bit software. There will be hardly any compatibility issues and so i am going with 32 bit for now ( Old is gold).

I also chose win7 over winXP . only thing is that XP was more hardy. also, XP had windows movie maker.( any alternatives for this on win7; i used win live movie maker on laptop and it didnt work properly). Stupid Microsft didnt include this in win7!!

power_8383

Eager to learn.
( any alternatives for this on win7; i used win live movie maker on laptop and it didnt work properly). Stupid Microsft didnt include this in win7!!

Download this.
Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Windows Movie Maker 2.6

^ It works with windows 7 too.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
guys i had 64 bit and had a few compatibility issues. After a little advice from someone i have decided that i am going to revert to good old 32 bit. After a year or so ( after my board exams are over :p ) I am going to dual boot with win 7 64 bit and win xp 32 bit. I will also have time to research. That should solve all compatibility problems.

After all i have exactly 4 gb ram and so there are nt many cons to using 32 bit OS ( except that a bit of my 4gb ram will be unused.) . Thats ok with me as i will go to 64 bit software later. There is no problem in formatting and then installing 64 bit software. There will be hardly any compatibility issues and so i am going with 32 bit for now ( Old is gold).

I also chose win7 over winXP . only thing is that XP was more hardy. also, XP had windows movie maker.( any alternatives for this on win7; i used win live movie maker on laptop and it didnt work properly). Stupid Microsft didnt include this in win7!!

Did you try using compatibility mode or XP mode?

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
No I've been using x64 since 2 years now, there aren't compatibility issues. 32 bit apps run like under a normal 32 bit environment, 64 bit true applications take advantage ...

techking_dinesh

Digit Squad Member
Js install 64bit
den google windows xp mode for win7
Go to d microsoft link , select ur pack , dload d stuff , install it.. Now u cn run all ur 32 and evn 16bit prog on win7, they ll work as if u r using xp.
They use up resources. Bt ur config seems good enuf to handle it

Top Bottom