Windows 10 get for FREE

Ironman

In the zone
funny how Google has been doing this on a much larger for years and no one will criticize them
But when it comes to Apple and Microsoft, even a little bit gets them criticism
also Google doesnt even have an "off-switch" for spying
atleast Microsoft and Apple have an option to opt out of Advertising ID etc

Really ?

Do we use Google OS ?
In Desktops ?
We just use the Web services .... No one is Complaining about Microsoft's Web Services

But Spying on Users Files, Constantly Listening through Microphone (Cortana), And What Not is just Crossing the Line.
Have you even Read the new Terms & Conditions ?

As for Google - Android can be Modified as we wish so that checks out.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Really ?

Do we use Google OS ?
In Desktops ?
We just use the Web services .... No one is Complaining about Microsoft's Web Services

But Spying on Users Files, Constantly Listening through Microphone (Cortana), And What Not is just Crossing the Line.
Have you even Read the new Terms & Conditions ?

As for Google - Android can be Modified as we wish so that checks out.

I strongly disagree
First off , most people have android phones and windows pcs
both android and windows pcs are used for google services by most people
google doesnt even let you disable it , you are literally forced to use ALL their services and get spied on
Microsoft and Apple allow you to sign up for individual services and not use other services if you wish
both also have " advertising ID" which allow you to disable data collection

also the cortana arguement is equally hilarious
how do you know Google Now is not collecting your data?? how do you know Google search isnt collecting your data or even Chrome for that matter
Isnt it ironic that Android phones also have privacy concerns related to fake apps,exploits etc nearly every day sometimes even inbuilt

Have you read Google's terms and conditions??
you dont need to use a Google OS for getting your privacy ripped out, just using their services is enough to get your privacy exposed

Google Privacy Issues
4 ways Google is destroying privacy and collecting your data - Salon.com
*www.newsweek.com/wary-privacy-issues-ditch-dropbox-and-avoid-google-says-edward-snowden-276956
Privacy concerns? What Google now says it can do with your data (+video) - CSMonitor.com
Windows 10: should privacy problems worry me? | Technology | The Guardian
*arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/windows-10s-privacy-policy-is-the-new-normal/
*www.computerworld.com/article/2956...ds-to-windows-10-privacy-policy-concerns.html
*www.alphr.com/dropbox/1000326/how-...rosoft-onedrive-google-drive-and-apple-icloud

Even the iCloud hack was due to poor passwords for Gmail ids linked to Apple Ids making it simpler for hackers to simply hack the gmail and reset icloud
Also Google sells your private info and data to advertisers and spams you with ads
I dont recall Microsoft and Apple selling data like that, they dont even need to because their primary source of income isnt ads at all
Google on the other hand earns solely through selling your info to advertisers

Also you cant "modify" android and use logically speaking
When was the last time you saw someone using an AOSP build android without ANY google services??
and availability of roms is only for a few devices these days , most have crippled roms

Ironman

In the zone
I strongly disagree
First off , most people have android phones and windows pcs
both android and windows pcs are used for google services by most people
google doesnt even let you disable it , you are literally forced to use ALL their services and get spied on
Microsoft and Apple allow you to sign up for individual services and not use other services if you wish
both also have " advertising ID" which allow you to disable data collection

also the cortana arguement is equally hilarious
how do you know Google Now is not collecting your data?? how do you know Google search isnt collecting your data or even Chrome for that matter
Isnt it ironic that Android phones also have privacy concerns related to fake apps,exploits etc nearly every day sometimes even inbuilt

Have you read Google's terms and conditions??
you dont need to use a Google OS for getting your privacy ripped out, just using their services is enough to get your privacy exposed

Google Privacy Issues
4 ways Google is destroying privacy and collecting your data - Salon.com
*www.newsweek.com/wary-privacy-issues-ditch-dropbox-and-avoid-google-says-edward-snowden-276956
Privacy concerns? What Google now says it can do with your data (+video) - CSMonitor.com
Windows 10: should privacy problems worry me? | Technology | The Guardian
*arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/windows-10s-privacy-policy-is-the-new-normal/
*www.computerworld.com/article/2956...ds-to-windows-10-privacy-policy-concerns.html
*www.alphr.com/dropbox/1000326/how-...rosoft-onedrive-google-drive-and-apple-icloud

Even the iCloud hack was due to poor passwords for Gmail ids linked to Apple Ids making it simpler for hackers to simply hack the gmail and reset icloud
Also Google sells your private info and data to advertisers and spams you with ads
I dont recall Microsoft and Apple selling data like that, they dont even need to because their primary source of income isnt ads at all
Google on the other hand earns solely through selling your info to advertisers

Also you cant "modify" android and use logically speaking
When was the last time you saw someone using an AOSP build android without ANY google services??
and availability of roms is only for a few devices these days , most have crippled roms

OK ...
You Convinced me...

Google is Slightly more Evil than Microsoft & Apple :)

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
To be very frank,Linux is good for professional stuff but really fails as a consumer OS unless you only use the web browser and Media bits of it
to do simple tasks,you need to do complex commands- sudo apt this and sudo apt that
Its a good OS no doubt but you want use it as a "complete" replacement to windows
We use Ubuntu on our POS systems in our stores now and its awesome because of its flexibility and smooth performance on low-end hardware and also has an added advantage because the staff wont know how to use it for "personal use"
I completely support your logical views,Friend.
No offence taken and nothing,personal,Friend.

But it is also true that Linux has come a long way as it was since 2 decades back. Without any Linux vs. Windows argument,it is clear that both OS has its merits and demerits.
Windows OS is the most user friendly platform for a layman but it comes at a considerable price/cost(Genuine,Licensed ver.) and not many of the common mass are ready to shell out that money.
Whereas Linux OS (non-enterprise) is a free platform but it comes at a little bit of steep learning curve compared to that of Windows.
As for most of the non-geek,non-technical consumers/users ,those who aren't into using C/C++/C#/ASP.NET/Python/Java/MySQL/Oracle/etc... programming and development of software, both Linux & Windows are more or less same,in the present senario.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Nice discussion here.
In my opinion, linux does have steep learning curve but that's not because its hard or complicated, its because it lets you mingle with almost everything in OS, programs and settings. I am so much used to it that sometimes I feel trapped in windows, it does everything for you but if you ever need real control then you are doomed unless you are a MS professional with years of experience and understanding of in-out. Certainly I don't want to be that. I have no grudges from windows but what they want to achieve from selling win 8.1 pro for Rs. 12K (if buying from reliable sources).

Thats as impractical as buying 512 kbps BSNL BB at Rs. 625+taxes, people have to buy it because at most places they don't have choices. It was also case MS years back but not now. There were no strong FOSS alternative but things are changing. My next work machine will be 100% linux. I don't even care if its ubuntu or centos as long as we have console there :p

PS: I thought this discussion is about getting windows 10 license for free ;)

kg11sgbg

Nice discussion here.
In my opinion, linux does have steep learning curve but that's not because its hard or complicated, its because it lets you mingle with almost everything in OS, programs and settings. I am so much used to it that sometimes I feel trapped in windows, it does everything for you but if you ever need real control then you are doomed unless you are a MS professional with years of experience and understanding of in-out. Certainly I don't want to be that. I have no grudges from windows but what they want to achieve from selling win 8.1 pro for Rs. 12K (if buying from reliable sources).

Thats as impractical as buying 512 kbps BSNL BB at Rs. 625+taxes, people have to buy it because at most places they don't have choices. It was also case MS years back but not now. There were no strong FOSS alternative but things are changing. My next work machine will be 100% linux. I don't even care if its ubuntu or centos as long as we have console there :p

PS: I thought this discussion is about getting windows 10 license for free ;)

Sorry for my deviation of being off topic.Nevertheless,the link of discussions were kept and we did not deviate away too much.
Actual fact : In order to get Windows 10 license for free you need to have previous versions of Windows 7/8/8.1 in their GENUINE LICENSED avatar else you need to be a registered user/developer of Windows 10 (preview)insider program. That's it.
Any other form of FREE Windows 10 will be deemed as a pirated Windows 10 OS software.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Sorry for my deviation of being off topic.Nevertheless,the link of discussions were kept and we did not deviate away too much.
Actual fact : In order to get Windows 10 license for free you need to have previous versions of Windows 7/8/8.1 in their GENUINE LICENSED avatar else you need to be a registered user/developer of Windows 10 (preview)insider program. That's it.
Any other form of FREE Windows 10 will be deemed as a pirated Windows 10 OS software.

I guess insider program is no more available.. is it ?

“Windows 10 Insider Preview is intended to be installed on genuine Windows 10 devices – before upgrading to Windows 10 Insider Preview Builds or reinstalling Windows 10 please ensure your device is activated.”

In layman’s terms that means an upgraded Windows 7 or 8.1 system that is properly activated after upgrading to Windows 10 is the platform for Insiders to use as a basis for testing future builds and updates for Windows 10.

Yesterday’s Windows 10 Build 10525 announcement now seems to change the entry requirement for being a Windows Insider for testing Windows 10 and now requires testers to test the OS updates on a genuinely upgraded/activated system.

Since W10 is now activated on devices basis, if that device already activated with genuine MS 7, 8 or 10, then you can use Insider program.. I guess free ride is over now.

*winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-insider-program-only-available-genuinely-activated-systems

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
OK ...
You Convinced me...

maybe :p
they all dont care actually but from my frank perspective google is slightly more evil :D
not defending other companies though as such :)

icebags

Technomancer
OK ...
You Convinced me...

google and facebook are much more than that, ms doesn't even compare.

u may think u can customize android as much as u wish, but ultimately google is always in control & always tracking whatever u doing. its scary now, to see ms is taking the same path.

Ironman

In the zone
google and facebook are much more than that, ms doesn't even compare.

u may think u can customize android as much as u wish, but ultimately google is always in control & always tracking whatever u doing. its scary now, to see ms is taking the same path.

*31.media.tumblr.com/652838665e5e462bbb365a26809d0709/tumblr_nclu95IfYH1s8wwkgo1_500.gif
*33.media.tumblr.com/6e2e89e2795d28ea405c683d2ac61050/tumblr_ngsp9qTCUm1tmilldo1_500.gif
*i.imgur.com/pGrIFHi.png
*d2yca1enuxtdrs.cloudfront.net/images/resize/product/1240/d6fa3413a01ad2a93f53ca324903ce32.jpg

Last edited:

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Just to clear some air, right now, I am typing this reply from a laptop running Windows 10 that was installed through Windows update on a PIRATED Windows 7 Ultimate, and I never signed up for the Windows Insider Program for Windows 10, though I did for Windows 8. And, this copy of Windows 10 I am running is Genuine and registered. I am yet to install it on Windows 7 Home Basic Genuine I have as a Multi-boot OS, and my home Desktop. I am taking some time to review it properly before I go on to install Windows 10 on other PC's.
My initial review of the OS is dampening, and this is one reason I was here on this thread, to know others' view on the new OS. Can others who are running the OS please let me know their views of the OS? I feel that this OS is tremendously buggy, half cooked piece of Windows 8 or 8.1, thrown in as a whole new OS with some useless Smartphone features, that erases the prominent line between a Desktop OS and a Smartphone OS. Any thoughts?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^MS new model is to thrive on customer data. That's why no push for weeding out pirated softwares. They gain more by user data.

Of course, it's not true for businesses.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Just to clear some air, right now, I am typing this reply from a laptop running Windows 10 that was installed through Windows update on a PIRATED Windows 7 Ultimate, and I never signed up for the Windows Insider Program for Windows 10, though I did for Windows 8. And, this copy of Windows 10 I am running is Genuine and registered. I am yet to install it on Windows 7 Home Basic Genuine I have as a Multi-boot OS, and my home Desktop. I am taking some time to review it properly before I go on to install Windows 10 on other PC's.
My initial review of the OS is dampening, and this is one reason I was here on this thread, to know others' view on the new OS. Can others who are running the OS please let me know their views of the OS? I feel that this OS is tremendously buggy, half cooked piece of Windows 8 or 8.1, thrown in as a whole new OS with some useless Smartphone features, that erases the prominent line between a Desktop OS and a Smartphone OS. Any thoughts?

No bugs on fresh install
Im dual booting windows 10 on my laptop
one install is an upgrade one from windows 7 which is buggy as hell
(Upgrade install simply sucks, rather clean install right after for a good experience)
the other is a clean install which auto detected my hardware and activated
no issues even though Im using a mix of Windows 7 ,8.1,Leshcat and windows update drivers
Id say its miles better than my experience with 8 and 8.1 on this laptop and even 7 for that matter
8 and 8.1 were terribly buggy , I even refused to get the Rs699 upgrade which my laptop was eligible for , at the time

I even tried tablet mode and used teamviewer on my ipad
it worked perfectly with my ipad and tablet mode using teamviewer
ran as though I had a proper windows tablet

Windows 10 has pushed me further to buy a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and to wait for Windows 10 Mobile

- - - Updated - - -

^^MS new model is to thrive on customer data. That's why no push for weeding out pirated softwares. They gain more by user data.

Of course, it's not true for businesses.

I wouldnt necessarily say that
Im not defending Microsoft but they arent really doing anything radical which no one else is doing
Google and Facebook have been doing the same thing for years and even selling the data to advertisers,conducting experiments etc
Its a david vs goliath situation here and Microsoft is David in this case because they arent going to higher levels of data collection etc
All Microsoft is doing is collecting data to provide you with better services etc
Their main revenue isnt even data collection , its software and Enterprise solutions only and now hardware too in recent times
Sure its wrong to add such stuff to an OS but atleast it has an off switch and can be completely " frozen" officially too

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
No bugs on fresh install
Im dual booting windows 10 on my laptop
one install is an upgrade one from windows 7 which is buggy as hell
(Upgrade install simply sucks, rather clean install right after for a good experience)
the other is a clean install which auto detected my hardware and activated
no issues even though Im using a mix of Windows 7 ,8.1,Leshcat and windows update drivers
Id say its miles better than my experience with 8 and 8.1 on this laptop and even 7 for that matter
8 and 8.1 were terribly buggy , I even refused to get the Rs699 upgrade which my laptop was eligible for , at the time

I even tried tablet mode and used teamviewer on my ipad
it worked perfectly with my ipad and tablet mode using teamviewer
ran as though I had a proper windows tablet

Windows 10 has pushed me further to buy a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and to wait for Windows 10 Mobile

- - - Updated - - -
Well, then, I'll have to check out. Thanks for the input mate. :) But why should a fresh install work properly and an online upgrade won't? Crucial services like the Windows Store, the built in Photo viewer App (Photos) have failed. The Windows Store always gives out Server error. Photos fails to start. At times, the start menu doesn't respond. At other times, the Network button in the notification are doesn't show up networks. What more shall I say? When you're targeting a such a large number of devices to be upgraded online, you need to ace your game. And it's not just me who is having these issues. There are a lot of such complaints out there, some even giving a solution like re-registering the apps using the Windows PowerShell, running some command. Now, this has to be done by running Powershell with administrative privileges, which you can't get by searching from the start menu. What will an average windows user do if he faces such a scenario?

kg11sgbg

Please elaborate on the Genuine and Registered aspect of Windows 10,that is running on your Laptop.
I mean how you did that,without any obstacle from MS???

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Please elaborate on the Genuine and Registered aspect of Windows 10,that is running on your Laptop.
I mean how you did that,without any obstacle from MS???
I'm not sure what to elaborate and how to do that. So, I'll start from the beginning.
Since I never got a prompt to upgrade to windows 10, on neither of my computers, and no one I know got it. I downloaded the "fix" from CNet, ran it on the Windows 7 installation on my laptop, while I used to use Windows 7 HB which I got with the laptop, so didn't want to f*** it up, if something went wrong. I registered for the free upgrade. August 8, I turned on my laptop in office to be prompted to start the upgrade process. I began downloading the update files, and same day, it got completed, and I have a genuine.
Just to prove it.*i.imgur.com/fa4ikCe.png

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Well, then, I'll have to check out. Thanks for the input mate. :) But why should a fresh install work properly and an online upgrade won't? Crucial services like the Windows Store, the built in Photo viewer App (Photos) have failed. The Windows Store always gives out Server error. Photos fails to start. At times, the start menu doesn't respond. At other times, the Network button in the notification are doesn't show up networks. What more shall I say? When you're targeting a such a large number of devices to be upgraded online, you need to ace your game. And it's not just me who is having these issues. There are a lot of such complaints out there, some even giving a solution like re-registering the apps using the Windows PowerShell, running some command. Now, this has to be done by running Powershell with administrative privileges, which you can't get by searching from the start menu. What will an average windows user do if he faces such a scenario?

Sounds exactly like the issues I was facing before
I even had GPU issues and my laptop crashed when trying to sleep/hibernate etc

Clean Install is soo deadly stable, I installed in a dual boot first to check out
now am transfering data etc and getting ready to delete the upgrade install completely and use the clean install only

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Sounds exactly like the issues I was facing before
I even had GPU issues and my laptop crashed when trying to sleep/hibernate etc

Clean Install is soo deadly stable, I installed in a dual boot first to check out
now am transfering data etc and getting ready to delete the upgrade install completely and use the clean install only
That's helpful. Thanks Mate. Still, if this is something because of an online upgrade, this is going to go against MS. Poor work.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
That's helpful. Thanks Mate. Still, if this is something because of an online upgrade, this is going to go against MS. Poor work.

yeah
was a total PITA for me especially since I only have 1 proper laptop with important data and programs
clean install is very good but issue is you need to upgrade install atleast once to register the hardware with MS so that when you clean install,itll auto activate
you can use same key for dual boot too on the same machine

Top Bottom