Winamp cannot play songs while copying files...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My PC config is Core 2 Due E4500 2.2 GHz Procy, Foxconn 45CM-S Intel 945G Chipset Mobo, 256 MB DDR2 ram, 80 GB Sata, 40 GB Pata, LG CD Writer. OS WinXP Prof SP2

the problem is while listening to MP3 songs in winamp if i copy files from one drive / partition / CDROM to another winamp fails to play songs properly. the sound gets distorted. the problem also occurs if i burn a cd while playing winamp.

but in my old system (P-III 1.13 GHz, 256 mb ram, Intel original mobo 845 chipset, 40 gb pata, lg cd writer, OS WinXP Prof SP2) if i do the same winamp plays songs without any problems.

my question is why a system based on C2D procy can not play winamp while copying files whereas older P-III based system plays it without any problem.

chicha

High without substance...
C2D with 256MB DDR2 RAM???
i think that is the culprit the ram is a bottleneck to your pc, upgrade it to at least 512DDR2

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
probably a problem with HDD, i had similar problem till my HDD died.

Try checking them individually, 40GB seems to be the culprit

chicha

High without substance...
but dont you ppl think its the ram??
i think a c2d needs atleast 512MB DDR2 right?

insane_x97

Right off the assembly line
i have same problem,
the diff is my pc config,i am using two 250 gb hdd(not so old)one is samsung other is seagate.
mobo is 865gbf(supports sata maybe 1 gbps or so),ram is 1gb,but playbackis stil problem........
isnt there any setting which lodes whole song to ram while playing??
i have not tried other players...

gaurav_indian

CG Artist
Increase your ram even if its not the cause of this problem.Cant believe you have a good config but you didnt spend much on ram lol.

insane_x97

^^so u can read...

look at the date shiitheads
nice choice of words there, betta be careful while u spell,
it was me who faced the same problem,and a whole new thread is not always a better thing,

@ kl@w-24.. i am using sata hard drives,
For the Primary and Secondary channels in Advanced Settings, the Transfer Settings are set to DMA if Available, but i think they work only for pata channels..
@ gaurav_indian..for sure i will give ram a shot tomorrow..

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Re: ^^so u can read...

@ kl@w-24.. i am using sata hard drives,
For the Primary and Secondary channels in Advanced Settings, the Transfer Settings are set to DMA if Available, but i think they work only for pata channels..

In device manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and look for a serial ATA controller. Check its properties for each port. It should be set to run in DMA mode.

Also, open the properties page in Winamp, and go to Plugins->Output. In the right pane, dbl-clk 'Nullsoft direct-sound output'. Check the box 'allow h/w acceleration' and 'create primary buffer'. You can also try increasing the buffer length in the 'buffering' tab.

Last edited:

insane_x97

increased the ram,2gb same condition.
while looking at the mobo specs found that it supports sata 1,
both the hdd,s are sata 2 capable,
seagate supports udma 6(ultra ata/133)
samsung supports udma 7(ultra ata/512)
but both are active in udma 5 mode ( ata/100)
could this be culprit???
i am running xp sp3,
edit: swaped the hard disks and found that system works fine,
after checking dma settings found that one channel keeps changing back to pio mode from udma 5,(primery ide channel),
any solutions?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom