Win 7 OS for students?

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
There seems to be no such offer according to this official response from Microsoft.

Hello Sarath,
Thank you for contacting Microsoft Connect Customer Service.

I understand from your email that you would like to know that if there are any offers to purchase Windows 7 for Students.

Sarath, I would like to inform you that as of now in India there are no such offers or discounts for students to purchase Windows 7. You can visit your nearest reseller to get discounts available. Also please visit our website where you can check for the price and order any product from Microsoft.

URL: Microsoft Software: Buy Original Microsoft Software Products Online in India

Thank you for using Microsoft products and services.

Shreyas
Microsoft Connect - Customer Services

Tel: 080-40103000
Toll free: 1-800-11-1100 (BSNL and MTNL)
Toll free: 1-800-102-1100 (AIRTEL)
E-mail us: Help and Support

Parthiban

Right off the assembly line
In some colleges they have Microsoft Campus Club, they providing original product key and link to iso files to their members. If you have frnds on nearby colleges make a try out:-o:-o

sygeek

Technomancer
Hmmm..didn't know .edu = exclusivity. I'll just ask my bro to register for a .edu email in his college. I'm sure they provide one.

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
Hey guys I downloaded the Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit). Here are the minimum system requirements - Windows Server 2008 R2: System Requirements

Can I run it on a P4 (3.07GHZ with HT) with 1 GB RAM? How much space would it take approx.? The site states min. 32GB. But I think the way my requirements are, it will be much less.

Rajesh345

Youngling
Hey guys I downloaded the Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit). Here are the minimum system requirements - Windows Server 2008 R2: System Requirements

Can I run it on a P4 (3.07GHZ with HT) with 1 GB RAM? How much space would it take approx.? The site states min. 32GB. But I think the way my requirements are, it will be much less.

clean install with take ~19GB

*ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27501

also u cant use Hyper V on ur PC cause it req hardware Visualization

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
clean install with take ~19GB

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor supporting HT Technology 3.20 GHz, 512K Cache, 800 MHz FSBwith SPEC Code(s)SL6WE, SL6WG, SL792

also u canat use Hyper V on ur PC cause it req hardware Visualization

Man, do you think it will be better if i dump 7 and take server 2008 r2? What is Hyper V by the way?

Rajesh345

Youngling
Man, do you think it will be better if i dump 7 and take server 2008 r2? What is Hyper V by the way?

1) SErver OS are expensive like hell
2) I dont recomment any1 to use Server os over Normal OS like Win 7 /XP
3) Hyper v is a virtulization env inside 2008 server , its like VIrtual Box /VMware

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
1) SErver OS are expensive like hell
2) I dont recomment any1 to use Server os over Normal OS like Win 7 /XP
3) Hyper v is a virtulization env inside 2008 server , its like VIrtual Box /VMware

1. I got Windows Server 2008 R2 (Standard edition) for free from DreamSpark.
2. I know but I don't have 5000 to shell out..:(
3. I will not need Hyper V anyways...

Tech&ME

Banned
I want to buy a new copy of Win7 for my newly built dormant (sitting duck) PC. Since i spent off the entire amount for the parts I have hardly any left for the OS. So I want to ask:

Q: Is there any student version or student discount on win7 (Home premium upwards) available here in India?

:)

Yes!

You can join DreamSpark from Microsoft and download Windows Server 2008 r2 x64 or x86 for FREE and convert it to standalone windows 7 x64 version.

By applying the following tricks: Convert your Windows Server 2008 R2 to a Workstation! -

PS: Need any help with this, I can help you.

Reactions: ico

Tech&ME

Banned
1. I got Windows Server 2008 R2 (Standard edition) for free from DreamSpark.
2. I know but I don't have 5000 to shell out..:(
3. I will not need Hyper V anyways...

regarding your question @nisargshah95

I am using the same windows server 2008 r2 x64 on my system which I downloaded from DreamSpark.

My sytem specs are in my signature below, and as you can see, I am typing this message from the same system with the same OS 2008 r2 x64 on it. Cheers.:smile:

PS : Anyone here needs any help regarding DreamSpark then I am happy to help!!

Rajesh345

Youngling
Er I have ATI and I have successfully installed drivers. :|

o_O
1)from where did u got win 2008 compa. Driver?
From ati website there is no driver for 2008
I did try install win7 driver ,but got error message
I even asked in ati forum ,they said no driver available for server os

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
It was Windows Server 2008 (32 bit) (Not R2 btw). The gfx is Radeon X1250.
I installed the regular Catalyst (10-02_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc) for Vista and it worked. I used Win Server exclusively for gaming btw.

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
regarding your question @nisargshah95

I am using the same windows server 2008 r2 x64 on my system which I downloaded from DreamSpark.

PS : Anyone here needs any help regarding DreamSpark then I am happy to help!!
But I have a 32-bit processor. [P4 @ 3.07GHz HT]. Will the 64-bit run on it?
By the way how much space does it [WS 2008 R2] take on your HD?
Note : if u having ATI graphic card ati doesnt provide driver for 2008 , if nvdia then no problem
I don't have any graphics card. :)

Last edited:

Rajesh345

Youngling
:( It means my dream is shattered. It can't even run on 32-bit dual core processors?

u can run only 32 bit version of ANY OS only

eg win 7 32bit
XP 32 bit
server 32 bit
ubuntu 32 etc ............

to run 64 bit os u need processor which support 64 bit instruction

Top Bottom