Win 7 OS for students?

Sarath

iDota
I want to buy a new copy of Win7 for my newly built dormant (sitting duck) PC. Since i spent off the entire amount for the parts I have hardly any left for the OS. So I want to ask:

Q: Is there any student version or student discount on win7 (Home premium upwards) available here in India?

:)

noob

Cyborg Agent
I want to buy a new copy of Win7 for my newly built dormant (sitting duck) PC. Since i spent off the entire amount for the parts I have hardly any left for the OS. So I want to ask:

Q: Is there any student version or student discount on win7 (Home premium upwards) available here in India?

If your school is having MSDN Subscription, you can get one for free.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

Well if you are willing to strip off extra stuff and configure Windows Server 2008 R2 for Desktop Exerience, you'll get Windows 7 experience.
Windows Server 2008 R2 is available for students via Dreamspark for Free ( *www.dreamspark.com/ ).
It will take some effort to do that and also popular AV software wouldn't run ( only ClamWin was the one I could manage to run successfully).
Otherwise it's quite good enough to work with.

does dreamspark provide win 7 to students?
No. There are discounts for MSO and Windows 7 but not free.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
One question:
If assuming, there is a free version of OS available for students, would a student of MCA of IGNOU is eligible?
Please tell me, it is!

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
One question:
If assuming, there is a free version of OS available for students, would a student of MCA of
IGNOU is eligible?
Please tell me, it is!

Check out your college or university is is the list. If not don't fret. My college was not listed, yet on contacting them they gave me a dreamspark membership last year (which I have to renew now).

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Wow.. there are a host of products available on the DreamSpark website!

So I tried registering. There are 3 methods to Verify the account: Activation Code, ISIC card and .edu email account.
Don't know about what are the first two methods, but neither I have a .edu account! :(

Btw, where did you checked the college list?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
"Get Verified through my school."->Continue->"Contact us". And then continue. Make sure you select "Verify as student". Not "Verify as School".

Rajesh345

Youngling
Wow.. there are a host of products available on the DreamSpark website!

So I tried registering. There are 3 methods to Verify the account: Activation Code, ISIC card and .edu email account.
Don't know about what are the first two methods, but neither I have a .edu account! :(

Btw, where did you checked the college list?

*img638.imageshack.us/img638/1212/dreamspeak1.jpg
*img69.imageshack.us/img69/3232/dreamspeak2.jpg

gameranand

Living to Play
Sarath said:
Above home premium?? I don't think so. Most student offers are starter edition or home premium.
Sarath said:
I want to buy a new copy of Win7 for my newly built dormant (sitting duck) PC. Since i spent off the entire amount for the parts I have hardly any left for the OS.
If its sitting duck why nor use Ubuntu on it. Well if its sitting duck then you ain't gonna play games on this one so........ Just a suggestion. :)

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
gameranand said:
Above home premium?? I don't think
so. Most student offers are starter
edition or home premium.
Even Home Basic is enough for most tasks.

You can use Windows 7, download Windows 7 enterprise. It will give 90 days free testing time before you will need to reformat or purchase.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@Rajesh345 and Liverpool_fan:
Thanks, for pointing me to right direction. Although IGNOU (Indira Gandhi National Open University) isn't on the list, I would try to find a get around, as suggested by Liverpool_fan.

gameranand

Living to Play
thetechfreak said:
Even Home Basic is enough for most tasks.

You can use Windows 7, download Windows 7 enterprise. It will give 90 days free testing time before you will need to reformat or purchase.
Yeah but it lacks the key feature of win 7. Aero.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Just a suggestion(which is already suggested above), why wasting so much effort on Win 7?? Try Linux, FreeBSD, you'll learn many new things(if you are already not a Linux user).

And may be in some days, you won't even try to find Win 7 anymore.

Top Bottom