Win 7 low memory issue (esp. when transferring data between 2 ext. HDDs)

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Hello everyone!

my PC (Win 7 64-bit, i7 2600K, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, GTX580 Lightning, with Avast AV installed) has accumulated a lot of data as well as dust in the cabinet, and i wish to clean it both ways (internally and externally). in a bid to do that, am trying to transfer whatever data is useful and i can salvage, to my external HDDs. a unique and troublesome thing that am noticing is the 'low memory' errors i have been getting on this machine since past few days, particularly when i connect 2 ext. HDDs together, and transfer data from one to the other (to make space in 1 ext. HDD). till two days back, another thing that used to happen was, if i left the PC with utorrent running on it, the PC went to idle/screensaver mode, and when i used to come back to check the status, i would see lots of error dialog-boxes (with nothing written on them), with a yellow 'caution' symbol, utorrent program shut down, and the PC being very slow. i then increased the pagefile-size for each partition to the recommended figure of 12252 mb, but the HDD thing is still there, ie, when i have connected 2 ext. HDDs simultaneously and inter-transferring data between them, the PC becomes slower sooner or later. i just have to get my data out safely, reformat the PC, clean the cabinet, and restart everything anew, hence don't wish to waste too much time troublehunting very deeply at this stage on a machine that is panting and awaiting overhaul, and i have to get this work done as quickly as possbile and move ahead. could someone please tell what could be causing this issue, and any quick fixes for it, if existing? am even doubting some spyware/malware/virus to be the culprit, hence will put the PC on scan tonight.

thanks in advance!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if it is not a software issue(highest ram using processes in task manager using show processes from all user option) then either a malware/virus issue or hardware issue(ram/hdd).quickest fix would be to use live linux cd/usb to transfer data & if even this does not solve the issue then definitely hardware problem.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
thanks! will try these.
for now, have the situation under control, as am no more connecting the 2 HDDs simultaneously, and have also set the PC to not go into 'display off' condition from the power-options (that also used to trigger the low-memory errors & slowdowns; read the text on the error dialog-boxes when it occurred again this time once).

Top Bottom