will x2 555@3.8ghz(only 2 cores:( ) bottleneck my new sapphire hd6950 dirt3 edition at 1920x1200

theproffesor

saze017 here...quite a go
hey guyz, I've bought a hd6950 2gb with bios switch at 11k
my system spec are:
amd x2 555@3.8ghz stock fan (no luck unlocking )
msi 785gm p45
seasonic eco600 600w psu
iball i8181 case
lg display 22"@1920x1200p
and etc.
so my question is will my CPU bottleneck my card,,,,I've not tried any game cuz my hdd is crashed and friends have generic psu's in their rig so I don't wanna take the risk of trying it on their rig
they mostly have oem PCs
please help me out
I'm confused cuz I'm gonna switch to intel rather tha buying a new CPU well I can't find any x4/x6 on market with 95w tdp thats why""!!

aloodum

Journeyman
The amd phenom x2 555 is actually the phenom X4 with two cores disabled for reliability /stability issues.
Nonetheless , its a very capable CPU and in no way will bottleneck your 6950.

Also if your mobo supports core unlocker, most 555's trun in to a tri core from my experience :)

Cheers!!

OP
T

theproffesor

well I've tried unlocking but it ends up with a black screen, I.e my PC doesn't boot up
I enabled acc
core control to manual and vice verca
I can't really see 4 cores,
I've researched on internet and found that my motherboard can't unlock cores but the box says it does
now I think I should upgrade it / buy new one and give that rig to my my younger brother
I've already planned a rig

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I think you better not unlock the cpu using your current mobo and talking about bottleneck, I think PII X2 555 will not let you get the proper performance out of the HD6950.

OP
T

theproffesor

I guess you are right
but I think I should buy a athlon x4 645???@4.6k
cuz my main concern is,that it is a dual core:(
I'm gonna play, bf3, moh: warfighter,crysis 2 & 3
that's why I'm a little confused, ??!!!??

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^6 you won't find one easily and modern games do perform better on quad core cpus though it depends upon how well the game is optimized to take advantage of more than two cpu cores - fr eg, BFBC2 is more optimized than BF3 comparing cpu utilization and performance ;-)

aloodum

Journeyman
well I've tried unlocking but it ends up with a black screen, I.e my PC doesn't boot up
I enabled acc
core control to manual and vice verca
I can't really see 4 cores,
I've researched on internet and found that my motherboard can't unlock cores but the box says it does
now I think I should upgrade it / buy new one and give that rig to my my younger brother
I've already planned a rig

Try unlocking one core at a time and see what happens. Depending on your make and model, the BIOS shoudl list core numbers to amd of 4 or 6.
I had previously the the same cpu as you have . for me it was the 3rd core that was fudged up :p. Had to skip this core and move to the next one.
So i unlocked the 4th core and i was happy with a tricore/langra quad core :p/mutant dual core-take your pick :)

Note: I assume you have the latest bios for your board.

OP
T

theproffesor

I'll buy an x6 1055t from olx
but again I don't know
kya ye mere motherboard k sath compatible hoga, aur mujhe BIOS update krna bhi nhi aata,

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes, your mobo supports the above cpu with bios version 7623vB1 - if you have that no need for update but if you don't don't think much - it's very easy - you will get detailed info on the mobo manual / manufacturers website.

Top Bottom