Will two DDR2 RAMs of different speeds work together on the same motherboard ?

RockerKG

Right off the assembly line
i'm currently using a computer of configuration - 2GB DDR2 RAM , Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8 ghz , Intel DG31PR motherboard , 160 GB hard disk . i want to buy an another RAM in addition to the old RAM . so do i have to buy a RAM of the same speed of that of the old RAM or if i buy a RAM of different speed then will it work together along with the old RAM ?

And my RAM speed is 800 mhz ...can i buy a ram of 1330mhz ? and what is the street price of 4gb ddr2 RAM of 800mhz or 1330mhz in india ?

Last edited:

sukesh1090

Adam young
will work but the higher one will be down clocked to the lower as said by sam9s.you better search and get the ram of same specifications of the ram which you are having now.use cpu z take the screen shot of the spd page and post it here.

As said by the others, if you get another RAM with higher speed then it will down-clock itself to meet the slower one and vice versa. So better check your ram speed with CPU-Z and get another one with the same speed.

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."
@RockerKG

every post above mine is correct. Your motherboard description on the Intel website shows that it is capable of DDR2-800/677. {*ark.intel.com/products/50375/Intel-Desktop-Board-DG31PR}. And it supports a maximum of 4GB you already have 2GB. If it is on one slot then u can get a 2GB DDR2 -800 MHz and put it on the other memory slot. I also upgraded my RAM and had almost the same situation.

BTW i bought a 2GB DDR2 -800 MHz stick for Rs.1500.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
overall speed will be of the minimum speed ram. Try to get rams of same latency like if you have a ram of CL5 ,then try to to get a CL5 ram(s)

Top Bottom