Will Corsair CX400 handle HD 5770??

rajan1311

Padawan
^^ he talking about the CM Extreme Power 460W or something. that can handle the HD5770 but just be ready for an early Diwali :grin:

Its not that bad bro, I had a CM Extreme 600W for 2 years, no problems. But then one day the fan did not spin, sent that PSU for RMA and I got a corsair...but it does not have APFC and efficiency is less than 80%, so these should not be loaded a lot..

pegasus

Journeyman
^ It was quite bad actually and way too overpriced for what it delivered.
Luckily, you noticed the fan not spin and that too after 2 years.
Some had the fan fail much earlier and other bigger disasters.

rajan1311

Padawan
^ It was quite bad actually and way too overpriced for what it delivered.
Luckily, you noticed the fan not spin and that too after 2 years.
Some had the fan fail much earlier and other bigger disasters.

yes it was way overpriced, just some Rs200 less than the VX450 IIRC. But i got it pretty cheap, for Rs3200, when the 450VX was some Rs4500, so yea, was not the worst deal.

btw, good post :) (the big one above)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Cooler Masters PSU's biggest problem isn't its efficiency. for efficiency it got its own range of costly PSU (Gold Series) that will put even Corsair to shame. but its bad internal components. Many members have highlighted & posted links to articles that openly blame Cooler Master for using parts that comparable if not bad than the ones used by Local brands. One of them i think was the GX 750W review by JonnyGuru.

pegasus

Journeyman
yes it was way overpriced, just some Rs200 less than the VX450 IIRC. But i got it pretty cheap, for Rs3200, when the 450VX was some Rs4500, so yea, was not the worst deal.

btw, good post :) (the big one above)
I won't go too deep into the history of that PSU- it has been discussed to death on many Indian forums a long time back.
Like most CM products sold in India, it got launched at a reasonable price and then the price went up in a few months.
There came a time when it used to cost more than the VX450 too. :mrgreen:

And i would like to say thank you for the compliment but i don't deserve it.
It's the duty of every member to post correct and complete information and i am just doing my duty as per my level of knowledge and understanding. :oops:
Cooler Masters PSU's biggest problem isn't its efficiency. for efficiency it got its own range of costly PSU (Gold Series) that will put even Corsair to shame. but its bad internal components. Many members have highlighted & posted links to articles that openly blame Cooler Master for using parts that comparable if not bad than the ones used by Local brands. One of them i think was the GX 750W review by JonnyGuru.
Sam sir, thank you for that information but i got a bit confused on the last few lines.
Are you saying the GX750 is good or bad?:-?
Can you also please mention to any specific models from CM that outperform equivalent Corsair models and maybe a few links to the comparo?

If one has observed carefully, one may notice that most of the budget offerings from CM in India have been the 'PCAR' ones without PFC, when they do have the same model with APFC or atleast passive PFC.
If peeped into from the exhaust grill, one may see a lot of empty space and maybe even mounting holes for the additional circuitry/components.
Efficiency was not a big issue on it's own till sometime back but becomes an issue now when almost everyone else is providing APFC and 80% efficiency in the same price range.
They have been known to reabdged psus, after "tweaking" the internals to maximise the specs.
What good is a psu with "big claims" when the basic composition is destined to fail prematurely? :(

All said, please do not consider this as brand bashing.
I am not saying Cooler Master is bad as a brand/manufactuter.
They have made some very wonderful products in the past, that earned them the fame and repute they enjoy and are cashing upon now.
But the past few years, they have disappointed hardware enthusiasts, especially their fans (not fanbois) and even slightly above-average joes like me imho.

Last edited:

saswat23

Human Spambot
No, dont try that.
IMO CX-400 wont be enough. Better to get FSP SAGAII 500W if you are really on a tight budget else Tagan StoneRock 500W at 3k or Corsair VX-450 at 3.5k.

rajan1311

Padawan
actually it just might....the CX400 has 30A on the 12v, which should be enough for a 6850 and a decent quad core system..so if you already own a CX400, i dont think there is a need to upgrade it...

Top Bottom