Will a 7850 HD work on my motherboard?

ram22693

That Elusive 7850 HD
Hi, i just decided to buy a Sapphire 7850 HD from the US as it is a lot cheaper over there. I was just wondering whether it will run on my motherboard without any trouble, i have an intel dz68db board with a 2600K processor.

The things that worry me about this card is the issues many people seem to have with the drivers, is it really serious?

And, my is not an overclocked edition, its factory clock is at 860mhz, i will still be able to run most games at ultra without overclocking, right?

Thanks in advance. :)

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
Yes, your board supports it. 12.7 beta driver had minor scaling problem. I'm running it on 12.3. And it can max out most of the demanding titles @ 1080p with nice fps. Don't buy from US or any other country since you'll lose the warranty. Wait for a month, AMD recently slashed the prices, so it'll go a bit cheaper in India.

OP
R

ram22693

That Elusive 7850 HD
:O why will i lose my warranty? i don't understand. :\ are you telling me it will be hard for me to claim my warranty if something happens or that it doesn't come with warranty if i buy from the US or any other country?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
You won't get 7850 at cheaper prices than us in india but price cuts should be reflected here as well. Don't buy from US as international warranty isn't found with most gpu board makers.

You can wait for price cuts or grab one here at around 15k.

OP
R

ram22693

That Elusive 7850 HD
Thanks guys, i decided i will buy it from here rather than the US if that's the case, i need to save up some more before i can order it. I live in Chennai, which is the best option for me to buy? Online or hands on in the market? Ritchie street is the place you go for computers here but last i saw the cheapest 7850 there was for 17.2K and it was sapphire make.

Any good online stores that do free shipping(apart from flipkart, they don't have sapphire as of now and are kinda over priced at 16.5)? I am hoping to buy it for 15k or less, that is after the suggested price cut. Planning to buy it by September.

Also, which is the better? Gigabyte OC or Sapphire non OC? :\ Gigabyte seems to be cheaper even though its OCed.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ if you won't OC manually then Gigabyte HD7850 is what you should get - other than this both of them can be Oced upto 1050 Mhz manually and both of them have similar cooler - so there's not much performance difference - look at SMC, primeabgb, theitwares for a good deal on the HD7850.

OP
R

ram22693

That Elusive 7850 HD
Thank you Topgear. also, how much of a difference does the over clocking make while playing games like skyrim on ultra? I know I have to overclock my card to get the best out of it but I am running on a Huntley green power 550 psu for which I have received mixed reviews.

I have decided to buy Gigabyte OCed edition from GIGABYTE GV-R785OC-2GD Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Graphic Card

Both gigabyte and Sapphire have same cooling effect and gigabyte comes factory overclocked and that's good for me because i am not the kind that would risk overclocking a new GPU. Gigabyte seems to have 3 years warranty while Sapphire has only two, not sure if this is true but read it on a forum elsewhere.

Any one tried the gigabyte version? i would like your feedback. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ the warranty period info is true and get the Gigabyte HD7850 Ced version but the PSu you have .. it's not that good AFAIK - can you post the +12v spec of the psu ?

OP
R

ram22693

That Elusive 7850 HD
^

*www.modsynergy.com/Modsynergy%20files/HuntKeyPSU/images/huntkey_spec.jpg

If i should be changing my SMPS, i'd like to know which one would be suit my configurations. Is it really necessary to change my SMPS? I was hoping to buy a cooler master evo 212 rather. :(

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ if the specs are right then it should handle your rog along with HD7850 just fine but Huntkey once tried to bribe a foreign tech review website for their product review - so don't expect that Huntkey psus are of very high quality - so to be safe ( if you have to use the PSU ) just don't Oc the CPU/GPU anything.

If you want a replacement PSU look for Corsair Cx500 or GS600.

OP
R

ram22693

That Elusive 7850 HD
^^ if the specs are right then it should handle your rog along with HD7850 just fine but Huntkey once tried to bribe a foreign tech review website for their product review - so don't expect that Huntkey psus are of very high quality - so to be safe ( if you have to use the PSU ) just don't Oc the CPU/GPU anything.

If you want a replacement PSU look for Corsair Cx500 or GS600.

I am not going to overclock my CPU or GPU. I am buying a factory overclocked card, is it going to be a problem?

OP
R

ram22693

That Elusive 7850 HD
Okay guys, so i have narrowed down my options to:

Sapphire AMD/ATI HD 7850 HDMI OC Edition 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com

MSI R7850 Power Edition 2GD5/OC

MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC

Which one do you guys suggest? If Sapphire is the best, i will need to save up money for one more month. :-?

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
Get MSI, Good stability and is less prone to problems compared to Sapphire. I hate Sapphire compared to MSI , Zotac.

Top Bottom