will a 4ghz processor be ever commercially manufactured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theraven

Technomancer
u really need to break the "gigaherts myth" by reading the article in digit
anyways the name of the game is "miniaturising"
using VLSI ( Very Lage Scale Integration )
Integration of MORE features in LESS space
according to ur suggestion then we should go back to the "vaccuum tube" age .. well size wise atleast
to dissipate heat
a computer the size of a room should be enuff to keep the temperatures down i think

nikhilesh

Journeyman
there definitely WILL be a 4GHz proccy for the masses.just 4 yrs ago we wud hav thot that a 3GHz proccy requires liquid nitrogen but that is not the case.new ways of cooling will come up.

also at the rate the speeds r increasing its just a matter of time wen we see a new 4 GHZ proccy come out.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
80 years ago, the aircraft industry was struggling to produce 300-hp engines. 20 years later 3000-hp engines were common, and there is even one 15,000-hp engine used on a Russian aircraft. The 4 GHz barrier is a temporary one and it will take much less than 20 yrs to break that barrier.

I have no access to the internal policies of Intel or AMD, but I am sure that Intel has abandoned the 4 GHz processor only for the immediate future. Intel has finally admitted that clock speed is not the be-all and end-all, but other optimisations PLUS a high clock speed is still very desireable.

Heat is wasted energy (except where the primary object is heating). An audio amplifier has about 50% efficiency, meaning that about half of the consumed power goes to the speakers to be converted to sound, while the other half is wasted as heat and has to be dissipated. The theoretical maximum efficiency of an analogue audio amplifier is 78%, and a very efficient practical design may have an efficiency of 65%, wasting only 35%, so that much less heat has to be dissipated.

One direction the CPU manufacturers can take is to waste as little energy as possible at the same clock speed.

To carry the analogy further, a switched-mode audio amplifier can have an efficiency of upto 90% so that only 10% is wasted as heat, requiring MUCH less cooling.

theraven said:
a computer the size of a room should be enuff to keep the temperatures down i think
:) :) "My" first computer was an IBM mainframe whose memory banks alone took up space the size of a small office !

geek_rohit

In the zone
pimpom said:
80 years ago, the aircraft industry was struggling to produce 300-hp engines. 20 years later 3000-hp engines were common, and there is even one 15,000-hp engine used on a Russian aircraft. The 4 GHz barrier is a temporary one and it will take much less than 20 yrs to break that barrier.
Well said mate. Ofcourse its a temporary barrier. After the heat issues are sorted out. We will definately see a 4GHz monster. Who would have thought anyways 10-15 years back that there would be a 3GHz processor (Forget Moore's Law for a moment). You can't be so sure about the future of technology. Who knows by 2050 we might even have newer processor technologies like the optical processor. So lets hope for the best. Till then HAPPY COMPUTING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom