will a 4ghz processor be ever commercially manufactured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supersaiyan

In the zone
hi guys. i read this article in digit quoted gigahertz is dead. i was just thinking would we ever have a 4 ghz processor ? its like the future of gigahertz is just till 3.2

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
ok 2 things:
1. the highest speed so far is 3.8GHz....intel sez it will stop now...and not push 4 4GHz
2. i dont think they wills top at this unless they come up with some other technology that will nullify the effects of a higher clock speed...

but ppl have already been running existing processors at 4GHz+
the gigahertz is not dead!!!!

PS: at least i hope not!!!

theraven

Technomancer
the situation is kinda dicey
that article only meant to say that the myth of more gigahertz means better performance is dead
and that no longer will the chip makers be aiming at higher ghz
that doesnt mean they will not be manufacturin it
if its achievable they will do ti
but as for now intels 4ghz project is dead ... officially
tho 3.2 isnt the max ... 3.8 is available ! tho not freely and easily

indro

In the zone
4 ghz will be produced by intel when they solve the issues they have better thermal solutions and leakages in their transistors which in turn reduces their efficiency , intel in on the move on a new type of insulation technology called HiMetalK for their transistors , well hopefully they will come up with a solution , maybe a BTX board , *www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20041225/etc_btxp4560j.html , BTX = Balanced Technology Extended

Fingers Crossed 8)

geek_rohit

In the zone
Well definately not. Even if Intel has dropped the 4GHz plans for now be assured that they are going to release the CPU when they sort out all the issues coming between their way in making the 4GHz monster. Untill then just to satisfy the market competition with AMD, Intel has planned to release the dual core Prescotts. Nevertheless after sometime maybe even end of this year, we might just see a 4GHz CPU. But it surely will at some point of time.

indro

In the zone
hey rohit , you maybe a hardcore Intel Fan , but releasing a 4 ghz processor at the end of the year is a little more optimistic :)

geek_rohit

In the zone
Hey I did say MIGHT!!. I meant there is a possibility, we can't be sure. One word though will the GPU manufactures face such a problem too.

[poWer]

Oldskool TranceAddict
When Centrino wud b released 4 desktops on LGA775 it wud bring Prescott and Athlon64s to their knees. Allow the time to bring these.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
The original question was whether there would EVER be a 4 GHz CPU. I remember reading in a technical journal a long time ago that technology was nearing a dead end because they were approaching the theoretical physical limit (not practical engineering limit) of size reduction for individual transistors and other components in an IC.

I don't remember exactly when I read that, but it was many years ago, long before the 1 GHz barrier was crossed. Look at where we are now - 3GHz CPUs are commonplace. It would be shortsighted to predict that a 4GHz processor will always be out of reach. They just have not found the right technique yet.

the_apocalypse

Right off the assembly line
the heat thing is kinda fishy. thyre plannin to make processor made of diamonds(THATS RITE). diamonds have a MUCH higher melting point that silicon or whatever. its intial cost wil be massive, but once they start mass producing the cost come down. and thyre also working on man made diamonds or something. this has alredy been tested by some scietist dude somewheree in da us or uk or something. they say 10 - 15 yers for diamond processors to be ot. or something along that line. :wink:

funkymonkey

Journeyman
well we surely will see 4Ghz in future. No question about that.
But for now the most viable option is dual core CPUs which AMD and Intel both are working on.
AMD has confirmed Dual core Athlon 64 S939 CPU for this year release.
INtel should also release dual core LGS775 CPU by this year end Q4.
The whole R&D is focused on this factor and thats why they have stopped pusing for Ghz battle.

i think the next to come is the dual core processors with the memeory controller in them to speed up the bandwidth and to complete more processes in the given time.now, amd comes with the inbuilt controller and intel with the dual processing power.they both will try to put it their coming
processors.

rohanbee

Padawan
I dont know what you guys are talking about??? INTEL IS NOT GOING TO BRING OUT A 4.0GHZ PROCESSOR,

a lot of sites have also released this information long ago .............
*www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2256

However dual core processor technology will restart at 2.8ghz again and will most likely get up to 4.0 ghz. The above article will give you a good insight into intels roadmap for the future !!!

liquid_nitrogen88

Journeyman
thats true indeed
intel has gone the amd way right now with their focus now on performance rating rather than the GHz manthra
intel has made it clear that with the existing technology,they cant bring out a CPU with 4Ghz or above as its goin to generate a lot of heat
rather they r goin 2 focus on bringing out multicore CPUs aimed ay ending the upper hand being gained by amd right now
any way it will be party time for all computer geeks next year......

G

gxsaurav

Weather it is Intel or AMD, they will be bringing 4 GHz CPU in the future for sure

Till now they have found that to increse the performance of a Chipis to increse the cache as clock speed isn't giving any more performance, but it also has it's drawbacks, as big die size & more heat discipted

There is a limit till which they can add more cache, it's not like they can Add 512 MB cache in a CPU, this will result in a really high heat flow, they will soon find a point at which incresing cache won't help so again they will need to increse the clock speed

OP
S

supersaiyan

In the zone
i think 4 ghz processor will not be produced for the masses. only those who are able to afford good cooling solutions(liquid nitrogen :wink: ). i think they will go forward with dual processing. and amd will not be behind. that's for sure.

liquid_nitrogen88

Journeyman
Weather it is Intel or AMD, they will be bringing 4 GHz CPU in the future for sure
Right now intel has conclusively stated that they rnt goin 2 bring out 4GHz
AMD has never paid much attention to the GHz tag

only those who are able to afford good cooling solutions(liquid nitrogen ).
:lol: :lol: :lol: well buddy,i'm counting on that only... :lol: :lol: :lol:

goobimama

 Macboy
I love GHz!!!

I love Ghz, it gave me great pain to see the CPU clock stuck at 3.2 Ghz. and now it had given me great happiness since the 3.8 Ghz. And again sadness that intel has scrapped the 4 Ghz.

If they have a heating problem, why can't they like make a CPU the size of 4 inches or something. There would be a larger area and head would be dissapitated.....I mean, desktops are big enough to house a 4-5 inch processor...

Anyway, why am I complaining, I am stuck here with a 1.6 Ghz, which is quite nice, I must say...

Milind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom