Wifi in laptop stopped working , help needed ! :(

kamikaz

Ambassador of Buzz
I was playing dota using a Hp laptop(windows 7 ,32bit) ,and was connected to net thru wifi, when suddenly the whole system crashed and had a BSOD and ever since the restart the laptop stops connecting to router,

It does show our local network ,strength and all ,but it simply refuses to connect,
tried upgrading the driver of wifi device (ralink 3290 i think), but there is no change in status,

I tried uninstalling the driver ,but everytime i uninstall and do a refresh ,windows automatcally installs the driver (via device manager,even after opting the delete the driver software for the device :/)

to check whether it was a router problem, i created mobile hotspot (using my phone with wpa2 psk) and it detected the network but didnt connect still, same as the above situation..
im not sure whether this is a hardware or a software problem,

So, can anyone help me with fixing this?
Ways to Purge the whole driver would be a good idea
if you need more info let me know

planning to boot a live linux system on it and check the wifi...hopefully this is a software problem, but atm if it is soft, the only option is to do a system reinstall which would be a hard job :/

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
As long as there are driver files in windows install for a particular hardware device it will get automatically installed at every windows startup if removed earlier,nothing you can do about it.trying linux live cd/usb assuming it has drivers for your network card is good idea.

OP
kamikaz

kamikaz

Ambassador of Buzz
Check the WlanAutoConfig in Services.msc

it is working fine i guess, it is set to autostart and has started

i havent mentioned this in my post,but the lap detects the network and when you click connect it asks the password for the router, it works till here ,then it fails, giving the error prompt

Downloading a new distro, will update after i check with it

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked with OPENSUSE, it didnt connect , damn
same problem detects network and after you enter password it fails to connect

Hrishi

Can you try creating a wlan network without encryption ? Or say something weak like WEP ? And try connecting to it ?

Top Bottom