Wifi for Cable Internet

mitraark

Decrepit
I wouldn't have ordered the Router if it didn't. Wait a couple of days till i set mine up, i will tell you in details.

mitraark

Decrepit
Well I received my TP-Link WR841N today, and it took about 10 minutes to setup

I hope what i am writing will be clear enough to follow, if you face any difficulties I will consider uploading some screenshots.

* Power the Router, Connect the LAN Wire RJ-45 ( which was previously connected to your PC) to the blue port of the router, and another LAN cable will be provided in the box, connect your router with your PC LAN port with that.

* Go to browser , enter 192.168.0.1 , Username and password is 'admin' for both ( without the quotes )

* Go to Network -> WAN

TPLink1.jpg
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/networking/10899d1370716090-wifi-cable-internet-tplink1.jpg

This is where you put the IP/Subnet Mask/Default Gateway/DNS Server/Alternate DNS

You already have these values in your IPv4 settings in Network and Sharing Center Properties ( if you don't know about that I can explain ) I blurred mine just in case.

* Go to Wireless -> Wireless Settings

TPLink2.jpg
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/networking/10900d1370716120-wifi-cable-internet-tplink2.jpg

I just set my Wi Fi Connection Name here, and selected the country. The rest are at default values.

* Go to Wireless -> Wireless Security

TPLink3.jpg
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/networking/10901d1370716149-wifi-cable-internet-tplink3.jpg

Set your Wi Fi Connection password here ( mine is same as my connection name, don't get confused, you can enter any other value here)

After that, you'll need to set your IPv4 settings as "Obtain IP Address Automatically" and "Obtain DNS Server Automatically"

That was it, it took less than 10 minutes i think, internet running fine on my PC, and I also connected my Mobile, 2 other android mobiles, a Nokia E5, and my laptop, internet working on all machines. Browsing, IDM, uTorrent, everything is working ( Even if my PC is off )

Just one thing, if you are familiar with the software HFS, it's not working, as my PC's IP is currently something like 192.168.1.100 and not the LAN Address given to you by Cable. I am looking into it, there's something called DMZ, i'll let you know if you need to.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@dashing.sujay,did reliance change something?as i remember you have to login into reliance page once every 24 hours though registered device mac address was for cable broadband.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Well I received my TP-Link WR841N today, and it took about 10 minutes to setup

I hope what i am writing will be clear enough to follow, if you face any difficulties I will consider uploading some screenshots.

* Power the Router, Connect the LAN Wire RJ-45 ( which was previously connected to your PC) to the blue port of the router, and another LAN cable will be provided in the box, connect your router with your PC LAN port with that.

* Go to browser , enter 192.168.0.1 , Username and password is 'admin' for both ( without the quotes )

* Go to Network -> WAN

View attachment 10899
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/networking/10899d1370716090-wifi-cable-internet-tplink1.jpg

This is where you put the IP/Subnet Mask/Default Gateway/DNS Server/Alternate DNS

You already have these values in your IPv4 settings in Network and Sharing Center Properties ( if you don't know about that I can explain ) I blurred mine just in case.

* Go to Wireless -> Wireless Settings

View attachment 10900
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/networking/10900d1370716120-wifi-cable-internet-tplink2.jpg

I just set my Wi Fi Connection Name here, and selected the country. The rest are at default values.

* Go to Wireless -> Wireless Security

View attachment 10901
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/networking/10901d1370716149-wifi-cable-internet-tplink3.jpg

Set your Wi Fi Connection password here ( mine is same as my connection name, don't get confused, you can enter any other value here)

After that, you'll need to set your IPv4 settings as "Obtain IP Address Automatically" and "Obtain DNS Server Automatically"

That was it, it took less than 10 minutes i think, internet running fine on my PC, and I also connected my Mobile, 2 other android mobiles, a Nokia E5, and my laptop, internet working on all machines. Browsing, IDM, uTorrent, everything is working ( Even if my PC is off )

Just one thing, if you are familiar with the software HFS, it's not working, as my PC's IP is currently something like 192.168.1.100 and not the LAN Address given to you by Cable. I am looking into it, there's something called DMZ, i'll let you know if you need to.

@mitraark, aren't you toooo casual about your wireless security settings????
Of course if that is for a demo purpose,then all is well.

mitraark

Decrepit
@mitraark, aren't you toooo casual about your wireless security settings????
Of course if that is for a demo purpose,then all is well.

EDIT : Big Mistake, won't happen again, see link in the comment below.

Last edited:

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I don't really care if others use my internet connection

Holy Cow! Don't be too casual in life dude. The 'Others' will suck your Internet connection for good as there is unlimited amount of data on the Internet to download.

@mastercool8695 (man thats like a password :-D)
Explain how your cable broadband is set up in your house buddy, it will help in explaining things. Before I was using a router, I had to login everytime when there was a time gap between switching off & on my internet connection. I think my session would expire. But with router, things have simplified A LOT!

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
@dashing.sujay,did reliance change something?as i remember you have to login into reliance page once every 24 hours though registered device mac address was for cable broadband.

No, reliance didn't change anything. But logging after 24hrs is not locked to any specific mac address. You can login using any system.

Top Bottom