WI-FI router with modem or w/o modem confusion !

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
Hello TDF,

I am currently using a wired "pronet" ADSL modem for my BSNL BB. What I wanted to know is that I want to set up a WI-FI hotspot in my room so that I can use net on my droid.
SO the real question is do I only need a router without modem [as I am already having a wired modem] or do I need a router + modem ??
Whats the diff, it's confusing for me.

Or is there any thing like wi-fi splitter/spreader - which can distribute my BB connection to my room with some wi-fi device ??
Plz suggest me a router based on my need.

Thanks.

You just need a wifi router. The wire from the modem that goes into your pc will now be plugged in the router. Thats it.

OP
RohanM

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
You just need a wifi router. The wire from the modem that goes into your pc will now be plugged in the router. Thats it.

Means will I am be saving money by going for router without modem ? Also u said that wire will go to router. Then what will go to pc ? Sry noob question :confused:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
wifi router without modem costs less than wifi router with modem.you can connect pc to wifi router using lan & wifi devices like laptop/phones etc using wifi.
TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com

dummydave

Broken In
bro go for modem router...
It ll b gud n u wont need to hav 2 devices running for net...
A single all in one ll do a better job..

OP
RohanM

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
I am using this now.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371307802936.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371307802936.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 98

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
So basically that small wifi usb will transmit my already connected wired broadband to my room?
you mean a wifi usb adapter used to convert a desktop to a wifi device?if your desktop has usb wifi adapter then you can connect your desktop to wifi router using wifi just like a laptop.

shreymittal

Being Human
Just get an ADSL modem + router
as pointed out by dummydave u will be running 2 devices and messing out wires there its better to get ADSL modem + router
u will be losing extra 175rs only
tp-link-td-w8961nd 1770/-
tp-link-WR841N 1595/-
this one ASAP
TP-LINK TD-W8961ND 300Mbps ADSL2+ Wireless with ModemRouter - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com

OP
RohanM

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
^^ So shrey My current model will be useless then ??
One query that usb wifi adapter that come for around 500 bucks will only work if I have already a wifi router in my home ??
will it not work with my current wired modem ??

shreymittal

Being Human
^^ So shrey My current model will be useless then ??
One query that usb wifi adapter that come for around 500 bucks will only work if I have already a wifi router in my home ??
will it not work with my current wired modem ??

Sell it online or keep it
Yes, it will only work with WiFi router
No, it will not

OP
RohanM

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
Sell it online or keep it
Yes, it will only work with WiFi router
No, it will not

So is there any way that will share my bb wired connection to my room so i can use it on my nexus ?
[I dont want o use reverse tether as it's required rooted phone.]

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
If you already have a modem, why are you thinking to go for modem_router combo ? Just get the router. Actually, configuring latter is much easier and compatible with any type of connection.

OP
RohanM

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
If you already have a modem, why are you thinking to go for modem_router combo ? Just get the router. Actually, configuring latter is much easier and compatible with any type of connection.
That's what I am asking since begining !! Plz suggest which router I should get, any flipkart or snapdeal link.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you should have mentioned your budget.
TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com
how does your modem become useless if you are buying only a router?your modem will become useless if you buy a wifi adsl modem which costs ~1770.

OP
RohanM

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
you should have mentioned your budget.
TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com
how does your modem become useless if you are buying only a router?your modem will become useless if you buy a wifi adsl modem which costs ~1770.

Only 150 diff .. then I should buy wifi with adsl only. I thought there is a huge price diff in between those two.

shreymittal

Being Human
Only 150 diff .. then I should buy wifi with adsl only. I thought there is a huge price diff in between those two.

Get ADSL Modem + router

whitestar999 how can this possible

*i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a595/shreymittal/Untitled_zps11f6f819.png

Top Bottom