WI-FI router with modem or w/o modem confusion !

mitraark

Decrepit
I'm sceptical about how everyone in this forum recommends buying the WR841 300 mbps 2 antenna instead of WR740 150 mbps 1 antenna. I've learnt here is very less difference in signal strength between the two, the extra antenna just provides additional 150mbps intra Wi-Fi bandwidth which is almost never utilised.
We can easily go for the WR740 and save 600 odd rupees.

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@shreymittal,i think @RohanM is talking about price difference between 841N & 8961ND.

@mitraark,740N has single antenna of 5dBi while 841N has 2 such antennas meaning total 10dBi.now in a big empty room this does not mean anything & range will be same but in an area with obstacles/walls as the signal passes through it its strength decreases so for simplicity say crossing an average wall 5dBi will drop to 3dBi while 10dBi will drop to 8-6dBi.now if signal has to cross another wall you can see which one will perform better.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i know that's why i said 6-8dBi({5-2}+{5-2}).in any case dBi will always be more than a single antenna setup assuming all antennas have same dBi.this is also the reason why you will never see any single antenna model offering 300mbps because you need dBi to support such transfer rates at average distances from router unless someone is providing a single 10dBi antenna model.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
that's costly & + My current modem will be useless then.. there is no cheap solution ??

Listen to whitestar's advise,you won't repent.

Meanwhile have a look at these two:--->

1).*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/networking/166599-how-convert-normal-bsnl-broadband-modem-wi-fi.html

2). *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/networking/167731-wireless-modem-router.html

see if that HELPS!!!

I'm sceptical about how everyone in this forum recommends buying the WR841 300 mbps 2 antenna instead of WR740 150 mbps 1 antenna. I've learnt here is very less difference in signal strength between the two, the extra antenna just provides additional 150mbps intra Wi-Fi bandwidth which is almost never utilised.
We can easily go for the WR740 and save 600 odd rupees.

Correct me if I'm wrong here.
You are correct @mitraark,in fact I am using the WR740N from TP-Link,quite satisfied for a range upto 13~15 ft...

dummydave

Broken In
tp link z awsum....using 8968...n cover more then 2400sq ft area...

Givin grt signal evn aftr 2 thick brick wallls..

Top Bottom