Why is metal not considered a part of the main stream music ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
I have been thinking over this for a long time. Why is metal so ignored ? Why aint it considered as a part of the main-stream music ? Sure there are bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden, etc who are very popular but what about black and death metal bands ? Why aint they so popular ?

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
KPowerMania said:
Why aint they so popular ?
Eh? They arent? :confused: :lol:

Maybe because as a genre; they have the following traits.
1. Should be loud to enjoy. Loudness isnt loved by all.
2. Most high-tempoed, not easily understandable.
3. Transtitions within the song maybe difficult to digest.
4. Patroned by a bunch of cocaine-snuffing-emos. :p
5. Can't be played at wedding parties. :lol:
6. Not all people play/understand instruments. And so not all will actually give due respect to the drum, guitar, piano, whatevers played in the songs. Pop, in turn does not need such an understanding.
7. Lyrics are much inhuman, un-productive and IMo worthless. though I do enjoy the songs. :D

metallica, iron maiden, thats enough for meh. :neutral:

OP
Psychosocial

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
But what about Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Behemoth, Gojira, Children of Bodom, Mayhem, Emperor, Immortal, Satyrico, etc Black/Death Metal bands ? They are one of the best instrument players in the world (Alexi for an example). There is this underground band called Disrepute... they have made this song called Insanity which has one of the most fastest, the most advanced drumming I have ever heard. If you listen to it, you will think its impossible to drum so fast but its not ! Then why are they so ignored and mostly condemned as 'bad' stuff by the society. They are sidelined as 'noise' :mad:. Ok leave Death/Black but what about SlipKnot ? They belong to Nu Metal but still they are not so popular. Why ? Just because their vocalist uses a Death Growling tone ? Or just because their lyrics have more 'fu.cks' then most songs ? SlipKnot has been blamed for inspiring a young teen for murder.... now this is crap BS. What about thrash (your so called great Metallica and IM belong in this one) ? Isnt Slayer been in spotlight for making songs like 'Disciple' ? (The songs main lyrics are something like "God Hates Us All") The song actually talks about the inefficiency of the Government and thats they condemn it :razz:. Ok leave the genres. I see no point in sidelining Metal as a music genre. In India, Metal concerts are VERY rare and why ? Because of some dumb, and crap culture of God and what not :|.

OP
Psychosocial

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
^^In my town ==

Coolest artist --> yo man, its teh dumB Emin3m....

The most brutalest/fastest/heaveist/kick-ass artist = Linkin Park

:(

^^In my town ==

Coolest artist --> yo man, its teh dumB Emin3m....

The most brutalest/fastest/heaveist/kick-ass artist = Linkin Park

:(
Dude, it takes a while to grow into metal
I graduated from Bollywood music to Linkin Park, Bon Jovi 2 years ago
And from Linkin Park to Metallica, Megadeth, CoB about a year back ....
But I graduated by choice as I wanted to listen to more music....

OP
Psychosocial

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
@KP
One question to you, provide more than 5 reasons why people should LIKE metal (Trash, death only)?

1. One of the best instrumentals. Actually the fastest. See Kirk Hammet, Dimebag Darrell, Alexi Laiho

2. Best bassist. See Steve Harriss of Iron Maiden.

3. Fast music. 70% of today's youth prefers fast music and so they listen to LP and what not. Its just that they are not exposed to Metal :|.

4. Agreed that 80% of lyrics contain un-human stuff but sometimes, they are informative too. Sometimes, they talk about the inefficiency of Government and thats why face opposition. See Disciple from Slayer.

5. The glitz and glamour related Metal. The charm of the concerts. Fans getting together and enjoying it a different manner. Going crazy over it.

6. Metal kinda gives an element of power. Some lyrics just inspire us to get up and do what we aspire to. In Metal language, "**** you, I won't do what you tell me" :D.

7. Metal generally irons out the wrong superstition related to religion, etc opening the eyes of people who listen to it.

8.The fan clubs created by the bands themselves (CoBHC ,etc) give a feeling of ironing out ones loneliness. It makes you fell that you are a part of something. Coz ultimately everything in Metal is larget than life.

9. It inspires a lot of people to pick up an instrument and start playing.

10. Carves one imagination.

Eh? They arent? :confused: :lol:

Maybe because as a genre; they have the following traits.
1. Should be loud to enjoy. Loudness isnt loved by all.
2. Most high-tempoed, not easily understandable.
3. Transtitions within the song maybe difficult to digest.
4. Patroned by a bunch of cocaine-snuffing-emos. :p
5. Can't be played at wedding parties. :lol:
6. Not all people play/understand instruments. And so not all will actually give due respect to the drum, guitar, piano, whatevers played in the songs. Pop, in turn does not need such an understanding.
7. Lyrics are much inhuman, un-productive and IMo worthless. though I do enjoy the songs. :D

metallica, iron maiden, thats enough for meh. :neutral:

Does this means people who listen to Pop are a bunch of brainless dumb asses ?

*img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/Bozo/Alexi_Laiho_2006.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Psychosocial

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
^^Pop or RnB fans might have it for small time but Metalheads are serious about their music. Its real. You will never see a person who will say that he liked Slayer once but you will see many who have got 'Slayer' carved across their hand.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@KPM: apni-apni pasand.....;)

I dont like Metallica coz they only shout & loud.....:cool: & after listening 2 them its like ur head really bcome a metal type...

its like :
1) LP > Pink Floyd > Metallica

c i have never heard KORN & Smokie & people say they r cool...so i'll update myself after hearing 2 their music...:cool:

OP
Psychosocial

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
^^WTF is a Smokie ? And forget Korn, they suck.

Metallica ONLY shouts ? What about some of their songs called One, Nothing Else Matters, Unforgive I, Unforgive II, Unforgiven III, etc ?

Please dont drag Pink Floyd or LP here....

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@KP
I know u know this, but once again, c wat wiki tells about Metal.
No, No, its not a proof that Metal is bad, its the various genres of Heavy_Metal.
LINK

And, I just came to know that I love Doom Metal, Neo Classical Metal and Nu Metal:D

OP
Psychosocial

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
^^Nu-Metal has only one good band and incidentally that is one of my fav. band, its called SlipKnot. Though now a days, they are categorising them as Death Metal which is good :). They deserve it. Their music is much better than the Nu-Metal posers. Doom Metal is OKish. They creat a nice ambience though. But no match to ambient Black Metal and Blackened Death Metal. For more info, listen to Cradle of Filth :D. Neo Classic Metal.... :|.

manishjha18

In the zone
i don't think metal is not popular--those who listen English music genuinely---would definitely like it.
who can ignore system of down,korn,Slipknot,Rammstein,Iron Maiden--etc
and my favorite disturbed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom