Why HTC is going down despite having good Smartphones?

ajaymailed

In the zone
HTC made the first android, thought to be biggest competitor to Samsung but now are getting crushed by intense competition & razor thin margins.

HTC profit falls 79% in Q3 - Times Of India
RIM and HTC are Q3′s biggest smartphone losers
HTC may drop to No. 8 smartphone maker in Q4: Morgan Stanley

HTCs decline began in in mid 2011, just when Samsung started making huge gains with galaxy smartphones.

Whats worse is besides Samsungs devouring the market space, its the rise of Chinese Androids that is pummeling HTC, RIM & Nokia market shares further. Huawei & ZTE may well turn out to be the future Sony & HTC of Android world if the trend continues.

achyutaghosh

Journeyman
HTC makes good phone but they lack a USP- they are not the best in any deciding factor such as price, performance, entertainment, value, service etc, some brand or the other has pipped them in every parameter. All their products are strictly "me-too" now. They have been unable to evolve as a brand, and hence see consumer rejection

nikufellow

In the zone
why htc is going down ? - because Samsung waits for htc to release their flagship then they buy one for themselves run routine benchmarks on the htc and then they create an exynos soc which is solely intended to beat all the current flagship to fool reviewers and buyers who go by benchmarks (sadly most do ) + oversaturated amoleds + usual Samsung bloats +hype +great marketing ! not to mention that htc cameras are the worst in their range !

Vivek788

In the zone
i became a customer of HTC by buying a One V last month. HTC is a particular brand wherein you get to see the pros when you look close. It has the best battery, good display and weight in its category. But lacks a good camera, and non-removable battery are the cons. Mine got waterlogged(still in service center,waiting to be picked up), and the battery was my biggest concern. A few changes here and there can bring the HTC products to the limelight and they need to really ramp up their service coverage.
In a city like Bangalore itself, I have to travel nearly 25kms to get to the nearest authorized service center, which is a strict deterrent for customers investing in such models which are not exactly cheap. Hope Samsung doesn't take them under like it did to Nokia, which is already Dead as a Dodo If not for the Lumia brand allowing it to cling onto the market atleast for namesake.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
There are many problems with HTC which makes most geeks not recommend HTC products to our family and friends who usually ask for buying advice on electronics stuff...

1. Locked bootloaders. HTC, shame on you. Samsung is so much better... HTC deserves to go bankrupt because of this one single issue.

2. Very poor developer support. Phones are not easily hackable, or restoreable if something goes wrong. Samsung wins again in this department. Samsung makes it easy to play with the phone (ODIN is seriously excellent). That is why Samsung phones enjoy awesome custom ROM support. Also, Samsung is quick to publish Android source code for its flagship models. That is excellent. HTC sucks...

3. Poor battery life. Look at HTC flagship OneX and compare its battery life to Samsung Galaxy S3... The difference is tremendous. I don't really care about removable batter that much, but the performance should be better.

4. No upgrade paths to most phones... You buy HTC phones, you almost never get updates. My uncle still has an HTC Desire HD still stuck on GB, even though its hardware is more than capable of running ICS and JB. Also, locked bootloaders really hamper custom ROM development.

5. Very little marketing or advertising by HTC.

So, thats my view on why HTC is doing poorly and what should change...

Top Bottom