Why Google phones are not a great Success? what should Google do about it.

ajaymailed

In the zone
Many say iPhone is tightly controlled by Apple, the OS, Hardware etc. Thats one of the reason for OS Smoothness, Strong Brand and helps with marketing.
Now when Google tries the same thing with Google Nexus, Galaxy Nexus, the phone is pretty gr8, with pure google experience but sales arent as impressive as market leader like Samsung or even Apple.
Is it that Samsung own Galaxy phones have been so varied with powerful hardware/ features killed any chances that Google branded phones had or Is it that Google itself didn't market the phone seriously. Google has got Motorola but if Google tries to bring out great Android features exclusively for Moto Phones, then it will damage the sales of other android makers. There should be a way where Google can specify hardware, software, interface standards for Google branded phones, where Google will support them with software service inreturn google will receive royalty for using their brand and software support.
Lastly Google can be in direct control of updates, fixes, Interface, Skins etc

Last edited:

Soumik

Padawan
Nice thought.
As per me, Google never took out the Nexus line up of phone to capture the market. They take them out so that they can give the developers and manufacturers a taste of the new OS. (They are usually associated with the launch of a new OS version). This helps the independant developers port the OS with ease to other devices on similar chipset, and also to other chipsets where the chipset manufacturers have provided the necessary drivers and the manufacturers have provided enough freedom.
Android is an open source OS and google doesnt get any profit directly from it. If they intend to capture the market, they would be taking out devices with much higher specs and with flagship status. They dont do that because they dont want to kill the profit margins of its parters like Samsun, HTC, etc. Google's revenue is add's and more populate its platform, more add's they attract. If they hinder the partner's business in any way, they essentially risk loosing them. They want their OS on as many device as possible, so they dont do that.
Just my thoughts.

OP
A

ajaymailed

In the zone
i agree with your concept, but i was thinking about Googles decision to buy out Motorola and their probably desire to be hardware maker. Nexus 7 made google seemed more serious about bringing out gadget into ipad dominated sector.

Aerrow

Journeyman
Nice thought.
As per me, Google never took out the Nexus line up of phone to capture the market. They take them out so that they can give the developers and manufacturers a taste of the new OS. (They are usually associated with the launch of a new OS version). This helps the independant developers port the OS with ease to other devices on similar chipset, and also to other chipsets where the chipset manufacturers have provided the necessary drivers and the manufacturers have provided enough freedom.
Android is an open source OS and google doesnt get any profit directly from it. If they intend to capture the market, they would be taking out devices with much higher specs and with flagship status. They dont do that because they dont want to kill the profit margins of its parters like Samsun, HTC, etc. Google's revenue is add's and more populate its platform, more add's they attract. If they hinder the partner's business in any way, they essentially risk loosing them. They want their OS on as many device as possible, so they dont do that.
Just my thoughts.

Not just a concept. The plain truth!!!

dharmil007

Journeyman
Nice thought.
Just my thoughts.

hey as the topic is on google.

i Just had a simple queStion.

HOW DOES GOOGLE EARN MONEY THROUGH THIS ANDROID ??
& THEN THEY ARE INVESTING ON LARGE SERVERS OF PLAYSTORE

it invests millions in it & i dont know how does it recover it or even has a profit from ANDROID ??
as they dont implement ads in any of the services that android provide {apart from 3rd party develpoers}
They arent posting ads also on

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Google Bought Motorola mainly for their radio patents so that it can have some defense when some patent trolls try to sue them .

Nexus phones provide pure Android experience. other vendors add bunch of fancy features often affecting the performance. I would prefer Nexus Phone over any phone. as performance is more important for me than fancy laggy features.

mastervk

In the zone
They get some % of sale of android app which a user buys..(from play store)..
also % of add displayed in free apps..

Soumik

Padawan
I think its some % of sale of android apps and 100% of ads in free apps.

On other thoughts, rather rumours... It would be funny if they bring out the Nexus 4 for real. I mean S4 pro chipset, which is better than anything else rite now, and just 8gb or non-expandable memory just to keep it from getting the flagship phone status. :p

maninder4k

Broken In
One example : The App which is large in size & requires large amount of graphics will be able to run on iPhone not due to you have spent so much money but due to that Apple knows what iPhone can handle. But If you will apply the same case to Google than most of the Android devices will not be able to play it due to less configurations or in some case lower version of Android & Google don't care about that! & That's what the problem with Google! :-?

Soumik

Padawan
^^ Google does care for its Nexus phones. Other phones just use their OS. If the manufacturers dont give updates in time, or put their OS on crap hardware, how is Google supposed to stop it? They are doing what they can in my opinion. Again, Android is open source, Google does have some, but minimal control over its ecosystem. If they keep same kind of hardware restrictions as Microsoft or Apple, then it doesnt remain open source anymore.
Even for Apple, their apps and games will not run in all their devices.

Top Bottom