Why even a single usb 2.0 port

Hi. Usb 3.0 is now become a common technology with every new laptop hosting the port, every new device supporting it and every motherboard having it. But, if the usb 3.0 port is backward compatible, then win laptops and motherboards have even a single usb 2.0 port? Why cant they put 6 usb 3.0 ports instead of 2 2.0 and 4 3.0 ports? I dont think price is the problem.

maheshn

Journeyman
Hi. Usb 3.0 is now become a common technology with every new laptop hosting the port, every new device supporting it and every motherboard having it. But, if the usb 3.0 port is backward compatible, then win laptops and motherboards have even a single usb 2.0 port? Why cant they put 6 usb 3.0 ports instead of 2 2.0 and 4 3.0 ports? I dont think price is the problem.

There are motherboards available which give you 4 USB3 ports and only 2 USB2 ports :)

eg:
Code:
*www.flipkart.com/asrock-b75-m-motherboard/p/itmdcpws4sma3vkw?pid=MBDDCPWRUXHAVEYB&ref=3abe0d2e-cb43-4bd4-a46a-933fc1b38630

disclaimer: Not an employee of ASRock or FK. Just giving you the info :)

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
There are motherboards available which give you 4 USB3 ports and only 2 USB2 ports :)

I know that, I even mentioned it in myoriginal post. What I'm asking is why can' manufacturers replace those 2 USB 2.0 ports with 2 USB 3.0 posts? Compatibility an price is not at all a problem AFAIK.

maheshn

Journeyman
Part of the reason cost/power issues and part reason a complete lack of push by the great hardware behemoth *intel*. They actively supported thunderbolt over USB3 for a very long period.... :)

ratul

█████████████████
i think coz of some compatibility issues, one of which i faced.. :wink:
when i bought my lappy (inspiron 15R turbo, all 4 USB 3.0 ports), i had win7ultimate dvd with me, and as usual, had created bootable USB for it to install the windows, but was never able to, coz win7 does'nt natively support USB 3.0, so it was'nt able to install itself through USB 3.0 ports, had i have one USB2.0 port, this problem could have been tackled easily, had to install through the DVD only (very slow :x)..
seeing the no. of people using win7, i think it's fair enough to give atleast one USB 2.0 port for situations like this.. (though i now have win8, which easily installs itself through USB 3.0 ports.. :mrgreen:).

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
i think coz of some compatibility issues, one of which i faced.. :wink:
when i bought my lappy (inspiron 15R turbo, all 4 USB 3.0 ports), i had win7ultimate dvd with me, and as usual, had created bootable USB for it to install the windows, but was never able to, coz win7 does'nt natively support USB 3.0, so it was'nt able to install itself through USB 3.0 ports, had i have one USB2.0 port, this problem could have been tackled easily, had to install through the DVD only (very slow :x)..
seeing the no. of people using win7, i think it's fair enough to give atleast one USB 2.0 port for situations like this.. (though i now have win8, which easily installs itself through USB 3.0 ports.. :mrgreen:).
That seems a justified reason. thanks.

Top Bottom